PDA

View Full Version : Football 101

kepdawg
10-05-2008, 12:13 AM
We take for granted that some people may not be as knowledgeable as others in regards to the x's and o's of the game. A lot of terminology is thrown out that some may not understand. Feel free to use this post to ask questions you may have. If you are so inclined feel free to help a fellow poster out and provide answers to questions. I will start with a few things for which a further explanation may be helpful.

1. Gaps: A, B, etc...

2. Techniques: 3?

3. Defenses: 4-3 vs 3-4, etc... What do the #s mean?

4. 8 in the box?

5. Safety vs Cornerback

6. What are the advantages of primarily running out of the spread?

mac77
10-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Kep, I'll do my best so listen closely.

1. Gaps are labeled A,B,C starting with the gap between the center and guard being A, between the guard and tackle is B, between the tackle and tight end is C.

2. Techniques are a little more complicated. Most teams use a numbering system for their defense to use for alignment. This is the most commonly used one I believe:

alignment on the center is a N or Nose. Can be shaded either weak or strong.
alignment on a guard 1 is an inside shade, 2 is headup, 3 is an outside shade.
alignment on a tackle is a little confusing, a 4i is an inside shade, a 4 is headup, and a 5 is an outside shade.
alignment on a tight end is 7 is an inside shade, 6 is headup, and 9 is an outside shade.

NOTE: All the head up alignments are even numbers. Cuts down on the confusion for most players. I think that this system was developed by none other than Bum Phillips.

3. These numbers deal with the front that the defense presents, ie. a 4-3 is 4 down linemen with 3 linebackers. Playing technique usually doesn't change just assignments and reads.

4. This refers to the number of players within 3-5 yards of the line of scrimmage and within the tackles. The more in the box, the easier it should be to stop the run.

5. Cornerbacks play literally on the corners of the defense and safeties are just that, the last players on the field for the defense. Safeties tend to have the most varied responsibilities in most defenses. They both usually play pass first and then support against the run.

6. See number 4. The spread gets people out of the box and allows good teams to take advantage of that and run the ball.

Now that I have thoroughly confused you all, I'll shut up.
:vrycnfsd: :vrycnfsd: :vrycnfsd:

kepdawg
10-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Can someone explain what a play with both tackles pulling?

pirate4state
10-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Hey kep, I got some of my questions answered last night. :)

Thanks

JR2004
10-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by mac77
NOTE: All the head up alignments are even numbers. Cuts down on the confusion for most players. I think that this system was developed by none other than Bum Phillips.

Yes. I know a guy who was there the day he unveiled it all those years ago. It's a fun story.

All out CAT
10-07-2008, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kepdawg
[B]We take for granted that some people may not be as knowledgeable as others in regards to the x's and o's of the game.

I was doing good if my line knew which direction the play was going. lol

had to right 13 on the left hand and 12 on the right hand. I would hate to have thrown in an audible.

oops, wrong thread. Must not be any brighter than the guy i was talking about above.

kepdawg
10-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Depends on the rest of the play. Could be counter/counter trey, boot, naked, buck sweep, tunnel sweep, or just student body right/left. More than likely, you are watching the counter. Much more likely to see a guard and tackle pull as opposed to both tackles, though.
Mac answered the rest of the questions, other than a head-up nose is also called a zero, and a defensive edge player outside of the the TE, is called an 8 tech, or a "ghost".

I didn't see it. Brad Sham mentioned both tackles pulling during the Cowboys game.