PDA

View Full Version : Rules of Defense

kepdawg
10-04-2008, 11:15 PM
What are the major rules in Texas high school football in regards to making contact with a wide receiver at the line of scrimmage?

In other words...

Is it legal for a corner back to knock a receiver on his butt once the ball is snapped and to keep knocking him on his butt every time he tries to get up?

SintonFan_inAustin
10-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
What are the major rules in Texas high school football in regards to making contact with a wide receiver at the line of scrimmage?

In other words...

Is it legal for a corner back to knock a receiver on his butt once the ball is snapped and to keep knocking him on his butt every time he tries to get up? he wouldnt be able to keep knocking him down if the ball is in the air. Bump at the line scrimmage would be ok til the ball leaves the QB i would think that would be the rule.

STANG RED
10-05-2008, 12:31 AM
I believe he can knock him on his butt as many times as he wants, as long as it's within 5 yards from scrimmage.

When I played DB I always loved putting a WR on his butt on HUT. He was usually still looking at the QB, so I'd see if I could dent the cone around his earhole inward.:D

BwdLion_80
10-05-2008, 05:55 AM
The 5 yards has nothing to do with high school football. It is all about when the ball is in the air.

bobcat1
10-05-2008, 06:43 AM
Our corners did back in the day. When the ball is in the air and his arse is on the ground, he ain't catching it. I have always wondered if there was a rule change in the last 34 years. Most slant routes won't work if they are sitting down nor will a fade. I like Stang Reds philosophy.;)

STANG RED
10-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion_80
The 5 yards has nothing to do with high school football. It is all about when the ball is in the air.

You may be right, and it may have been different back in the 70s idk.
I know I dont see DBs now playing it much like we did back then. I'm guessing the spread offenses have changed that some. Also, I think we played more man to man coverage back in the day. Jack Pardee's UH team was about the only team using the spread back then, and I dont think the term "spread offense" was even used for it then. Teams learned pretty quick that the zone was a better scheme against the spread.
If I remember correctley, Pardee called his scheme the "run and shoot". It was an earlier version of what Leach is doing at TT now.

Haunta Yo
10-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Summary of NCAA/UIL bump rule:
A defender CAN make contact with an eligible receiver (above the waist and not holding) as long as the receiver is in front of him ( closer to the line of scrimmage) and the ball is not in the air. Once the receiver gets even with or behind a defender, it's illegal to make contact.

There is no 5 yard bump area (or any distance) like in the NFL.

Rule 7-3-8 if you wanna look it up yourself in the NCAA PDF file:
Football_Rulesadc982b5-03fb-4e27-828c-c2d26b95e6c1

Two of the other most missunderstood NFL rules that people think are NCAA/UIL are faceguarding and "checking in as an eligible receiver".

In NCAA/UIL you never have to look for the ball, but you can't contact the receiver. No faceguarding in NCAA/UIL.

In NCAA/UIL you never are NEVER eligible to catch a forward pass if you're wearing a jersey #50-79. No NFL checking in with official exception.