PDA

View Full Version : Region I GOTW: Burkburnett @ Bridgeport - - - Should be Awesome!!!

slpybear the bullfan
10-04-2008, 01:02 AM
Well... this should be an awesome game... battle of unbeatens for what probably be for a district championship.

Both teams are 5-0, looking good, and have hung around each other in the Harris poll for a couple of weeks now.

Oughta be an Awesome game.

Vote on your opinion for the outcome, then post why!

We will try and update during the week with the latest rankings....

And ya'll come on down to Bridgeport next Friday!

injuredinmelee
10-04-2008, 02:01 AM
too bad Wylie Brownwood is the same night. Both ought to be WARS.

Bullaholic
10-04-2008, 08:34 AM
I agree, Slpy--this game should be a barn-burner. Two undefeated teams who have both beaten some good opponents finally meet. I hope everyone in the area will come to Bull Stadium Friday night for a potentially great contest. Go Bulls!

lion75
10-04-2008, 09:07 AM
I would concur. This should be for the district title. I think Vernon's team could gel late as they have done a couple of times in the last few years. At this point it looks like Decatur and Vernon will vie for the third spot.

Sweetwater Red
10-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Well... this should be an awesome game... battle of unbeatens for what probably be for a district championship.

Both teams are 5-0, looking good, and have hung around each other in the Harris poll for a couple of weeks now.

Oughta be an Awesome game.

Vote on your opinion for the outcome, then post why!

We will try and update during the week with the latest rankings....

And ya'll come on down to Bridgeport next Friday!

I think this trumps Wylie/Brownwood as game of the week if
only because both teams are undefeated.:thinking:

VWG
10-04-2008, 12:00 PM
The old saying "defense wins championships" could apply here.
Burk's is solid. They can defend the pass, and have a very good D-Line.
Bridgeport's D-Line is a little suspect, and with the ground it out midline veer attack that Burk runs it could get worn down.
Burk had the Argyle game in control, no matter how close that score was.
Bridgeport has a very good short passing game, with that "bunch receiver formation" that emphasizes that mid-range curl/out route.
If it becomes a track meet then advantage to the Bulls, because everybody knows the veer, whether it be the split/midline/bone version is a clock eater and not a quick strike offense. (go back to week 0 with Sweetwater-Burk and that high octane 10-6 contest)

Both teams are senior laden..... it's gonna be a good one. Just wish Bridgeport had some more seats to hold the crowd. LOL :)

popcorn screen
10-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Should be a big crowd. How much does the stadium hold?

Bull
10-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Bridgeport Stadium holds 3100

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=641

JR2004
10-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I think this trumps Wylie/Brownwood as game of the week if
only because both teams are undefeated.:thinking:

I think so too. These teams may not have as many fans on the board, but this is the biggest game in region I this week.

popcorn screen
10-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Bridgeport has been putting up some points. Burk needs to control the los and clock to win this one.

BurkFan
10-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Anyone have recommendations on where to eat in Bridgeport?

We cannot wait! This should be a GOTW somewhere.

I think the matchups are gonna be good...position-for-position. "Pound and Pass" game for sure!

My final score projection-Burk 21 Bridgeport 17

Bullaholic
10-05-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by BurkFan

I think the matchups are gonna be good...position-for-position. "Pound and Pass" game for sure!

Italian- Pronto's-Take 380W from 101(114)-380 4-way, about 1/2 mi. on right.

Mexican- Dos Chiles Grandes- Take 101(114) South from 4-way headed into Bridgeport. About 1/2 mi. on right.

BBQ- Raymond's- continue South on 101/114 past Dos Chiles. About another 1/4 mi. on right on 114 across from City Park.

General Menu- Yesterday's Texas. Take 380E from 4-way towards Decatur. On left on opposite side, about 1/4 mi. Great place if you have a crowd. 50's theme.

Steven's Street Grill- Take 101/114 South from 4-way, left at 2nd light (Halsell St)., continue to top of hill, turn left on 9th St., then right 1 block on Stevens St.

BurkFan
10-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Mexican- Dos Chiles Grandes- Take 101(114) South from 4-way headed into Bridgeport. About 1/2 mi. on right.

BBQ- Raymond's- continue South on 101/114 past Dos Chiles. About another 1/4 mi. on right on 114 across from City Park.

General Menu- Yesterday's Texas. Take 380E from 4-way towards Decatur. On left on opposite side, about 1/4 mi. Great place if you have a crowd. 50's theme.

Steven's Street Grill- Take 101/114 South from 4-way, left at 2nd light (Halsell St)., continue to top of hill, turn left on 9th St., then right 1 block on Stevens St.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

saydawg
10-05-2008, 05:05 PM
VWG is right - defense will determine the outcome of this one.

Matthew328
10-05-2008, 05:48 PM
Decatur has some good spots to eat at also...not too far from Bridgeport....

I really like Burkburnett's defense....they've done well against teams who can sling it or pound it....their physical play on both sides of the ball makes the difference.

Bridgeport is strong on offense as usual and they are better on D but they still seem very soft.....Burk by 13

Bullaholic
10-06-2008, 09:18 AM

BTW, Burk---good thing you guys are eating before the game because I think your're going to lose your appetite after the game. :D

Pick6
10-06-2008, 09:36 AM

Tailgate at Bullahoic's place :)

Bullaholic
10-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Tailgate at Bullahoic's place :)

LOL. C'mon down---How do you like your Bulldog, Pick? :D

BwdLions
10-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Bullaholic,

Your guys played a great game Friday night. The Bulls' QB and RB are really good players. It should be a very competitve game this week for you guys. If I wasn't going to Ablilene to watch the Lions beat the Dogs, I'd be there for this one. Good luck!

Bullaholic
10-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions
Bullaholic,

Your guys played a great game Friday night. The Bulls' QB and RB are really good players. It should be a very competitve game this week for you guys. If I wasn't going to Ablilene to watch the Lions beat the Dogs, I'd be there for this one. Good luck!

Thanks, BwdLions, this team keeps believing in themselves every week and just won't accept defeat. They remind me of our 93' team who was "scrappy" in the same way. I don't think you will be disappointed in your game in Abilene--I think it has the potential to be every bit as good as ours. Best of Luck to the Lions.

pirate4state
10-06-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by VWG
The old saying "defense wins championships" could apply here.
Burk's is solid. They can defend the pass, and have a very good D-Line.
Bridgeport's D-Line is a little suspect, and with the ground it out midline veer attack that Burk runs it could get worn down.
Burk had the Argyle game in control, no matter how close that score was.
Bridgeport has a very good short passing game, with that "bunch receiver formation" that emphasizes that mid-range curl/out route.
If it becomes a track meet then advantage to the Bulls, because everybody knows the veer, whether it be the split/midline/bone version is a clock eater and not a quick strike offense. (go back to week 0 with Sweetwater-Burk and that high octane 10-6 contest)

Both teams are senior laden..... it's gonna be a good one. Just wish Bridgeport had some more seats to hold the crowd. LOL :)

Great post! :clap:

Bridgeport has been putting up HUGE numbers all year. 234 points in 5 games! Burk has only given up 47 total points in 5 games!!! :eek: Something has got to give. Give me a good defense any day & twice on Sunday! :D

Based on just #s, I don't think Burk can keep the Bulls down for 4 full qtrs.

Bulls win by 7

eaglefan34
10-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Having seen both teams play, I think Bridgeport's defense will be the difference in this game. Bridgeport's linebackers are extremely fast and very rarely miss tackles. The Bridgeport QB is a very experienced, elusive, and accurate passer and can make a defense pay through the air or on the ground - it would be very surprising to see him make a mistake resulting in a turnover.

Burkburnett has a strong secondary and a very good running game but Bridgeport has a bit more talent on both sides of the ball. The result should be a close 21-17 win by Bridgeport.

charlesrixey
10-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by saydawg
VWG is right - defense will determine the outcome of this one.

doesn't defense determine the outcome of all games?

:p

charlesrixey
10-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by eaglefan34
Having seen both teams play, I think Bridgeport's defense will be the difference in this game. Bridgeport's linebackers are extremely fast and very rarely miss tackles. The Bridgeport QB is a very experienced, elusive, and accurate passer and can make a defense pay through the air or on the ground - it would be very surprising to see him make a mistake resulting in a turnover.

Burkburnett has a strong secondary and a very good running game but Bridgeport has a bit more talent on both sides of the ball. The result should be a close 21-17 win by Bridgeport.

Argyle-prosper is going to be great-both lost to bridgeport by six in close games

Texasfootball2
10-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Bull
Bridgeport Stadium holds 3100

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=641
Wow! maybe they will fill it:stirpot:

Phantom Stang
10-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Ball control and defense gives the edge to the Bulldogs.

Burkburnett 28
Bridgeport 23

BullsFan
10-06-2008, 10:22 PM

I'd mention a couple of others:

For good catfish, I'd go with O'Harlies. Take 380E from 4-way towards Decatur, and you'll see it on your right a couple miles down. It's in the same strip mall as H&R Block and a liquor store.

You can also find some surprisingly good, authentic Asian fare at Chopsticks. It's on the main drag through Bridgeport, which is Halsell Street. It's not buffet at supper time, but a single entree will easily feed 2-3 adults. Those platters are HUGE.

As for the game, I'm confident my Bulls will pull it out. But I don't think I'm going to make a prediction. (I get a little superstitious when it comes to the big ones, and I think this one is HUGE.)

Budman007
10-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Bulls will take this one. Burk's Offense is too one-dimensional and the Bull's O is a machine both rushing and passing.
Should be a good one!

Bullaholic
10-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Budman007
Bulls will take this one. Burk's Offense is too one-dimensional and the Bull's O is a machine both rushing and passing.
Should be a good one!

Burk's RB, #5-Gould is very good. The Bull "D" will have to keep him in check all night to insure a victory. If #5 gets lots of yards, then the Bull "O" will have limited time to work their magic. I agree, Budman, I think the Bull's versatility is key and will prevail.

BurkFan
10-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Glad to see that many believe we are one-dimensional offensively. That will leave a lot of Bull tongues wagging as they see someone other than #5 tossing the ball to the ref in the end zone after a score. Focus on Five! Five other teams have as well! Then as you scramble to cover the others...Focus on Five again. He will toss the ball to the ref in the endzone.

And just when that happens, you will also realize that the defensive backs...oh...snap! They have the same speed as five!

Focus on the Five! :)

Bullaholic
10-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Glad to see that many believe we are one-dimensional offensively. That will leave a lot of Bull tongues wagging as they see someone other than #5 tossing the ball to the ref in the end zone after a score. Focus on Five! Five other teams have as well! Then as you scramble to cover the others...Focus on Five again. He will toss the ball to the ref in the endzone.

And just when that happens, you will also realize that the defensive backs...oh...snap! They have the same speed as five!

Focus on the Five! :)

You're right, Burk---we don't care who's got the ball---the Bulls will stop them all, including #5. And that toss to the ref in the end zone will be the only one completed by you guys in there. You're not "whistling past the graveyard" after last week are you, Burk?

Budman007
10-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Sorry, Burkfan. I think you misinterpreted my comments. When did you guys start throwing the ball? That is what I meant by one-dimensional. I was'nt referring to #5 as the only offensive threat. Our boys are not only focused on #5 at all and the Bull's team speed will match Burk's step-for-step. If you guys had trouble with Eastern Hills' team speed, then you ain't seen nothing yet.

BTW, that won't be the Bulls tongues wagging. It will be the Bull's tails wagging that you see as they leave the Bulldogs in the dust!

blaster
10-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Been gone for a while but glad to get back on the forum. This will be another close one. But, what else should we expect from the Bulls in a BIG game. Bulls will win this one. The "D" struggled a bit last week but they will be back in form! Burk is a very good team. Home field advantage may very well be the key Friday night.

slpybear the bullfan
10-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
I'd mention a couple of others:

For good catfish, I'd go with O'Harlies. Take 380E from 4-way towards Decatur, and you'll see it on your right a couple miles down. It's in the same strip mall as H&R Block and a liquor store.

You can also find some surprisingly good, authentic Asian fare at Chopsticks. It's on the main drag through Bridgeport, which is Halsell Street. It's not buffet at supper time, but a single entree will easily feed 2-3 adults. Those platters are HUGE.

As for the game, I'm confident my Bulls will pull it out. But I don't think I'm going to make a prediction. (I get a little superstitious when it comes to the big ones, and I think this one is HUGE.)

BULLS FAN! Great to hear from you! (although I get to spend very little time here as well)

BullsFan
10-07-2008, 10:40 PM
BULLS FAN! Great to hear from you! (although I get to spend very little time here as well)

Thanks, slpy! There's just something about fall in Texas that draws me back to the 3ADL. When I'm not helping out with a certain niece and two nephews, that is. ;)

slpybear the bullfan
10-07-2008, 11:11 PM
When I'm not helping out with a certain niece and two nephews, that is. ;)

AND GOOD LUCK WITH ALL OF THAT!

Hellions.

Hellions I say.

BullsFan
10-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Hellions I say.

If that's true--and I'm not admitting that it is--they come by it honestly. ;)

LH Panther Mom
10-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
doesn't defense determine the outcome of all games?

No sometimes it's lack of defense. :p

bulldogs_1975
10-08-2008, 08:54 AM
I have to go with the edge to Bridgeport on this one. I think the passing attack is pretty dominant and it will eat Burk up but I could be wrong been wrong before.

slpybear the bullfan
10-08-2008, 09:25 AM
If that's true--and I'm not admitting that it is--they come by it honestly. ;)

Wow. I honestly never thought you would talk about Mrs. Slpybear like that.

Won't Thanksgiving dinner be interesting this year.

Bullaholic
10-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by bulldogs_1975
I have to go with the edge to Bridgeport on this one. I think the passing attack is pretty dominant and it will eat Burk up but I could be wrong been wrong before.

Here I go and try to talk a little smack on this big game with Burkfan, and you go and be honest. :D Burk could win this one just as easily as the Bulls--they are that good, and this one will really come down to which of these good teams executes the best and makes fewest mistakes. We have a lot of respect for the Bulldogs and have always enjoyed playing them.

Dominicfrank
10-08-2008, 10:03 AM
I have Burkburnett by double digits. 10 to be exact. I just think they have been real close to being a deep playoff team and this might be the year. don't rule out Vernon in this district race, I would think pride could make this team come togehter. Give me Burk 35- 24

slpybear the bullfan
10-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Harris Poll for 3A this week... Top 25

1. Liberty Hill 223
2. W.O. - Stark 219
3. Navasota 219
4. Gilmer 218
5. Celina 218
6. Carthage 217
7. Cuero 216
8. Abl. Wylie 215
9. Bellville 215
10. Bridgeport 214
11. Giddings 214
12. Waco La Vega 213
13. Burkburnett 212
14. Sweetwater 211
15. Brownwood 211
16. China Spring 210
17. Prosper 210
18. Kennedale 209
19. Snyder 209
20. Monahans 208
21. Argyle 207
22. La Vernia 206
23. Liberty-Eylau 205
24. Caldwell 204
25. Diboll 204

Also, Harris has this game as the GAME OF THE WEEK FOR THE ENTIRE STATE, ALL CLASSIFICATIONS!!!

Hope it lives up to the hype!

Bullaholic
10-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Harris Poll for 3A this week... Top 25

1. Liberty Hill 223
2. W.O. - Stark 219
3. Navasota 219
4. Gilmer 218
5. Celina 218
6. Carthage 217
7. Cuero 216
8. Abl. Wylie 215
9. Bellville 215
10. Bridgeport 214
11. Giddings 214
12. Waco La Vega 213
13. Burkburnett 212
14. Sweetwater 211
15. Brownwood 211
16. China Spring 210
17. Prosper 210
18. Kennedale 209
19. Snyder 209
20. Monahans 208
21. Argyle 207
22. La Vernia 206
23. Liberty-Eylau 205
24. Caldwell 204
25. Diboll 204

Also, Harris has this game as the GAME OF THE WEEK FOR THE ENTIRE STATE, ALL CLASSIFICATIONS!!!

Hope it lives up to the hype!

The Bulls never fail to provide a high-level of entertainment, Slpy. I still bring my de-fibulator to every game. :D

BurkFan
10-08-2008, 02:20 PM
LOL...I know all. I was just:stirpot:

According to my son, at practice, they are very much respecting all facets of the Bulls' game.

I went to the game last week at Graham and I was highly impressed myself. I am NOT a chest-pounder and I try to think critically without bias.

Now the critical thinking...we do not have a passing game THIS YEAR but we did have success last year so I never know when our QB may come out of his passing slump (he played last year as well.) We need to definately be ready for the quick slant pass and the quick out. But at the same time be ready for a hitch and go. Our corners and safeties will be challenged definately. And our LB's better be on their toes. We have a solid defensive line.

The biggest factor I see in this game is that Burk had a week off with the bye. So we had two weeks to prepare, heal, and scout. With all the personal foul penalties against the Bulls last week, I read that as fatigue.

This game could come down to a field goal try or extra point as well.

All of you are great sports and I love this forum! :clap:

Bullaholic
10-08-2008, 03:53 PM
LOL...I know all. I was just:stirpot:

According to my son, at practice, they are very much respecting all facets of the Bulls' game.

I went to the game last week at Graham and I was highly impressed myself. I am NOT a chest-pounder and I try to think critically without bias.

Now the critical thinking...we do not have a passing game THIS YEAR but we did have success last year so I never know when our QB may come out of his passing slump (he played last year as well.) We need to definately be ready for the quick slant pass and the quick out. But at the same time be ready for a hitch and go. Our corners and safeties will be challenged definately. And our LB's better be on their toes. We have a solid defensive line.

The biggest factor I see in this game is that Burk had a week off with the bye. So we had two weeks to prepare, heal, and scout. With all the personal foul penalties against the Bulls last week, I read that as fatigue.

This game could come down to a field goal try or extra point as well.

All of you are great sports and I love this forum! :clap:

That extra week to prepare is really an advantage, Burkfan.
I hope we can eliminate the penalties and play mistake-free football----that's a lot to hope for in a big game like this. I can't wait for Friday night.

BTW, BurkFan---Don't you guys have any really "nasty" fans??? :D. Always a pleasure to trade jabs with a gentleman like you. Hope your visit to Bridgeport is a pleasant one---except for the final score, of course.

BurkFan
10-08-2008, 04:19 PM
That extra week to prepare is really an advantage, Burkfan.
I hope we can eliminate the penalties and play mistake-free football----that's a lot to hope for in a big game like this. I can't wait for Friday night.

BTW, BurkFan---Don't you guys have any really "nasty" fans??? :D. Always a pleasure to trade jabs with a gentleman like you. Hope your visit to Bridgeport is a pleasant one---except for the final score, of course.

I don't know if we have any nasty fans or not? I am not that way! This forum is very classy and everyone does a great job. I am a fan of football and a fan of Burk. I graduated there in 1984 and saw some pretty skimpy ugly years being a fan. My son has gone to Burk his whole life...played football 7 years in Top-of-Texas, Jr High, and high school. Love to watch but I am not a parent-fanatical like I see some Burk parents. But they are finally doing well and will leave a nice memory for the kids. We have a very transient school and football team since a few kids come from the air force base here. So we lose some consistency for sure.

We need a great game for the great memories for all the players for sure. Wish this game was a "last district type" game rather than at the beginning. But who knows...may lead for exciting district afterwards. Too early to say playoffs...just like a good game. Bulls look like a class-act team. Coach is for sure. games like this don't come around too often and just want them all to enjoy the ride.

Now don't get me wrong...a 37-6 whooping of the Bridgeport Bulls would be alright too. I am a realist! :p

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Wish I could be at this game. Best of luck to both teams and no injuries! To all the fans -- have a great night at the game and enjoy -- as games like this don't come around too often. (Both undefeated about equal in strength and the district crown on the line).

Z~

Bullaholic
10-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Wish I could be at this game. Best of luck to both teams and no injuries! To all the fans -- have a great night at the game and enjoy -- as games like this don't come around too often. (Both undefeated about equal in strength and the district crown on the line).

Z~

Thanks Z, best of luck to you guys, also. Good to hear from you.

BurkFan
10-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks Z! We don't wanna NO INJURIES!

Sweetwater Red
10-10-2008, 06:56 AM
I wanted to jump in here and say something since we've
played Burkburnett but ya'll are being to respectful to each other.
I guess I'll go back to the AW/BW thread. Nobody's getting
respected over there.:D

Oh heck, I'll throw out a prediction...

Burkburnett 28

Bridgeport 27

saydawg
10-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Our boys are not only focused on #5 at all and the Bull's team speed will match Burk's step-for-step. If you guys had trouble with Eastern Hills' team speed, then you ain't seen nothing yet.

My, my Budman - love your confidence in your team but does Bridgeport have 3 guys out of 4 off a 2008 state champion 4x200 on their team? Didn't last time I checked. Gotta love your confidence - would like to see a little more respect.

slpybear the bullfan
10-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Final... Bulls 31 - Burk 15

What a game!

The Bulls pulled away to a 24 - 0 lead at half.

Second half the Bulldogs began to move the ball some and made it a closer game.

Both teams have some great talent...

Very pleased with the outcome! GO BULLS!

Budman007
10-10-2008, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by saydawg
Our boys are not only focused on #5 at all and the Bull's team speed will match Burk's step-for-step. If you guys had trouble with Eastern Hills' team speed, then you ain't seen nothing yet.

My, my Budman - love your confidence in your team but does Bridgeport have 3 guys out of 4 off a 2008 state champion 4x200 on their team? Didn't last time I checked. Gotta love your confidence - would like to see a little more respect.

Saydog, I rest my case. 31-15. We were'nt at a trackmeet.

saydawg
10-13-2008, 05:43 AM
Good game - good score - a track meet is what you didn't want - best to stop them before they get started - case in point - 2 good runs by Burk that Bridgeport didn't catch - was good watching though - teams that have speed have to be stopped before they get started and Bridgeport did that with the exception of a couple of plays. Congrats!