PDA

View Full Version : For G$$ and others

Txbroadcaster
10-03-2008, 12:41 PM
All the talk about TO and of course G$$ comes out of nowhere this week

good article about it

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ak0bwT9ChzCypljxvuRhkas5nYcB?slug=ms-thegameface100308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

an excerpt:

To understand Owens, you have to consider the NFL culture in which he was raised. When he arrived in San Francisco as a third-round draft pick in 1996, he was a wide-eyed rookie who said little and soaked up everything around him.

Watters and Taylor were gone by then, but Young, Jones and Rice remained. Rice, especially, was the veteran on whom Owens tried to model his approach. And Rice, in addition to being unquestionably the greatest receiver (if not player) in history, was a total ball-hog with a penchant for moodiness.

Stunningly, Rice’s bad moods often corresponded with the times in which he had fewer passes thrown his way.

At least Owens’ latest comments came after a tough defeat. I saw Rice, on multiple occasions over a number of seasons, blast the 49ers’ play-calling after games San Francisco won, sometimes by comfortable margins.

Whether the offensive coordinator was Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan or Marc Trestman, Rice felt free to rip away. It made for some decent, one-day copy in the era before Internet omnipotence, and it might have caused a bit of tension in the meeting room or on the practice field.

Mostly, however, players and coaches shrugged it off, because they knew that part of what made Rice the greatest was the psychotic competitive drive that fueled his sporadic outbursts.

themsu97
10-03-2008, 01:34 PM
here, let's throw out the obvious... Jerry Rice was an intergral part of how many Super Bowl Champions? TO has played in one... and did nothing in the playoffs to help his team get there...

I will have to admit, there were probably plenty of players who we consider great who ripped their teammates, coaches and all... and now with the internet and ESPN everything is blown way out of proportion...

However, comparing TO to Rice is like comparing Trent Dilfer to Joe Montana... wait, can't work either, DIlfer won a super bowl... dang,
this week Andre Johnson had a few words for the Texan franchise and even Roy Williams has been upset and ripped Detroit, but no fanfare on that...:thinking:

probably because they are not glory hogs and me first players...

JR2004
10-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
All the talk about TO and of course G$$ comes out of nowhere this week

Wait, what? Ol' Napoleon made an appearance again after several months and it came when TO was in the news? Come on Terry, I refuse to believe this.

Txbroadcaster
10-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Wait, what? Ol' Napoleon made an appearance again after several months and it came when TO was in the news? Come on Terry, I refuse to believe this.

lol would I lie to YOU JR

I guess since Texas had not lost or had problems he had to sit back and wait

nobogey72
10-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by JR2004

I would have guessed that he would come out of the woodwork when TO gets back in the news. He picks up on that because NONE of the Houston Texans or Astros (never mind his favorite college team) have big egos, or cause trouble in the locker room, or are selfish players.

He has just been laying low hoping everyday that he can say I TOLD YOU SO. Pretty quick to pass judgement if you ask me. We didn't all get lucky enough to grow up in a nice little quiet town, in a brick house and white picket fence then spend the rest of our lives judging those that don't act the way we want them to.

Necks_Fan
10-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I would have guessed that he would come out of the woodwork when TO gets back in the news. He picks up on that because NONE of the Houston Texans or Astros (never mind his favorite college team) have big egos, or cause trouble in the locker room, or are selfish players.

He has just been laying low hoping everyday that he can say I TOLD YOU SO. Pretty quick to pass judgement if you ask me. We didn't all get lucky enough to grow up in a nice little quiet town, in a brick house and white picket fence then spend the rest of our lives judging those that don't act the way we want them to. LOL. You forgot the part about him giving you his resume and expecting you to be impressed.

themsu97
10-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I cannot speak for G$$ but I can say this... I cannot stand TO... he is a cancer and has not done anything to merit what he demands... he is like CHad Johnson... overrated... I hope that TO destroys the Cowboys like he did theEagles, and the 49ers...

I already said that Andre Johnson has mentioned that he is disgruntled with the Texans, and the same for ROy WIlliams... but they are few and far between... not every week like TO...

also, there was a hurricane in South Texas and plenty of people are still without power and were without power for awhile

JasperDog94
10-04-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by themsu97
overrated While I don't love TO, how can you call him overrated?

Txbroadcaster
10-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by themsu97

I already said that Andre Johnson has mentioned that he is disgruntled with the Texans, and the same for ROy WIlliams... but they are few and far between... not every week like TO...

Really every week? TO has said something everyweek? Prove it