PDA

View Full Version : VAMike....whats the rule...

kaorder1999
10-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Ball is kicked off. Kicking team is pooching it. Receiving team front line take off fast to run back to set up a wedge. The pooched kick travels 12 yards in the air and bounces on the other 48. Ball then bounces back across the 50 untouched and is then touched by the kicking team on the 49, yard short of the 50. Illegal touching? Ball actually travelled 12 yards before it was touched but then came backwards. So is it the ball must be 10 yards away when touched or the ball must just travel 10 yards or what?

GATAPride77
10-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Not Mike but here you go:

Touching and Recovery of a Free Kick
ARTICLE 3. a. No Team A player may touch a free-kicked ball until after:
1. It touches a Team B player (Exception: Rules 6-1-4 and 6-5-1-b);
2. It breaks the plane of and remains beyond Team B’s restraining line (Exception: Rule 6-4-1) (A.R. 2-11-2-I); or
3. It touches any player, the ground, an official or anything beyond Team B’s restraining line. Thereafter, all players of Team A become eligible to touch, recover or catch the kick.

kaorder1999
10-03-2008, 12:47 PM
ok...thats what I thought as well but I keep being told differently. We were told last night that since nobody touched the ball until after it back across the 50 on the bounce, that it was illegal touching.

kaorder1999
10-03-2008, 12:51 PM
but look at #2.....

kepdawg
10-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
but look at #2.....

It sounds like if the ball is suspended in the air it has to remain beyond 10 yards but once it touches something it does not have to remain 10 yards!

themsu97
10-03-2008, 01:40 PM
my favorite is "Coach it is holding but since it has no effect on the play, we will not call it"
which I have been told several times...

so, by that token, a player is at the 10 yard line going in to score, and another player from the same team hits another kid in the back at the 25, but still a flag is thrown for a block in the back...
it still has no effect on the play...

I just do not get some of the logic sometimes

GATAPride77
10-03-2008, 02:23 PM
so, by that token, a player is at the 10 yard line going in to score, and another player from the same team hits another kid in the back at the 25, but still a flag is thrown for a block in the back...

Safety fouls should be called regardless of their impact on the outcome of the play.

waterboy
10-03-2008, 03:25 PM
A funny thing happened a couple years ago, and I still have not gotten any clarification at all on the call. Here goes, it's hard to keep up.

One team is punting the ball to the other. The ball is snapped, the snap is bobbled and partially blocked. The ball never goes beyond the original line of scrimmage. The punting team picks up the ball and runs it in for a score. How is this legal? Just curious, it actually happened. They awarded the punting team the TD.

sinton66
10-03-2008, 04:24 PM
No change of possession actually occurred, so it would be the same as going for it on fourth down.