PDA

View Full Version : Warren Sapp On Al Davis

Astrosdawg07
10-02-2008, 11:30 PM
How dysfunctional are the Oakland Raiders? So dysfunctional that Warren Sapp warns anybody who asks him about signing there to stay far away.
"Nobody tells you how bad it is," the former defensive tackle said on Showtime's "Inside the NFL." " ... any person that calls me on the telephone, [I tell them] do not go anywhere near Oakland."
Sapp, who retired after the 2007 season -- his fourth with the Raiders -- said that Lane Kiffin, fired this week by owner Al Davis, never got a fair chance in Oakland.
"He came in there with a change of mentality. The whole system," Sapp said on "Inside the NFL." "He changed how the locker room looked because it was going to take that kind of overhaul for Oakland to become the proud franchise we all knew it was."
Sapp said Oakland won't change for the better until Davis doesn't own the team anymore.
"[Davis] is the common equation," Sapp said on "Inside the NFL." "You take him out, put him at home watching film or whatever he is doing -- you have a functioning football organization. But once he comes over the top, he goes and starts moving it around.
"Al Davis knows football -- it's just '60s and '70s football. That's what it is. He's thinking that Cliff Branch is outside and [Jim] Plunkett is dropping back and you can throw it 80 yards down the field -- deep ball, deep ball, deep ball."
Sapp even said that Davis would call in plays when Sapp was playing for the Raiders.
"I remember the first two weeks I was there, we played a preseason game. Somebody came up one time and said, 'We're going deep right here, dog.' I said, how do you know? He said, 'The phone just rang.'
"All the preparation that goes into a week of work is there, the practicing that you have to put in order to do these things, sometimes [Al Davis] messed with that part of it and that's what kills you," Sapp said on "Inside the NFL."

ESPN.com Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3622637)

JR2004
10-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
"Al Davis knows football -- it's just '60s and '70s football. That's what it is. He's thinking that Cliff Branch is outside and [Jim] Plunkett is dropping back and you can throw it 80 yards down the field -- deep ball, deep ball, deep ball."

Best part of the whole story! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I believe that everything Sapp said is the truth. That press conference Davis had the other day was just sad. Even Kiffin said he felt embarrassed for Davis. The man clearly isn't all there mentally anymore. The NFL is so much better when the Raiders are good. Al is 100 percent the reason they are a laughingstock.

themsu97
10-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Sapp is hilarious... so I have no doubt he is telling the truth...

I mean, Davis wants nothing but a vertical game, the biggest reason he wanted Russell was the thunderbolt he has for an arm... Davis is probably upset that Kiffin drafted McFadden instead of some deep threat reciever... maybe Davis can hire Millen and they can draft all offensive players...

themsu97
10-03-2008, 07:31 AM
on a different note... isn't it wierd that the majority of the owners in the NFL are mainly loony... Davis, Adams, Jones, Snyder, Modell, and others...

scrub c
10-03-2008, 10:22 AM
funny stuff...

a davis is crazy

BILLYFRED0000
10-03-2008, 01:16 PM
eeewwww I don't care what universe your from thats gotta hurt

:D

Phil C
10-03-2008, 01:23 PM
HEY THEY WON THREE SUPER BOWL GAMES IN OAKLAND AND LA WHILE AL DAVIS WAS THERE AND THEY PLAYED IN A COUPLE OF MORE!

:mad:

JR2004
10-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
on a different note... isn't it wierd that the majority of the owners in the NFL are mainly loony... Davis, Adams, Jones, Snyder, Modell, and others...

I don't know that the majority of them are. You just happen to have a very, very vocal minority.

themsu97
10-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I don't know that the majority of them are. You just happen to have a very, very vocal minority.

I would agree with that... but it seems that the very rich are very odd... even Craft is a little loopy... even McNair... but I will take McNair over Adams any day...

STANG RED
10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
HEY THEY WON THREE SUPER BOWL GAMES IN OAKLAND AND LA WHILE AL DAVIS WAS THERE AND THEY PLAYED IN A COUPLE OF MORE!

Yes but that was long before he went senile. The man was just an excentric millionaire back in the day, but now he's a wierded out old man that has lost his mind. He has done nothing but hurt the Raiders for many years now, and it's only getting worse. Of all the Raiders problems down through the years, Al Davis has been the biggest one by far. And it will get even worse before it gets better with him in charge.

Gontex
10-03-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Yes but that was long before he went senile. The man was just an excentric millionaire back in the day, but now he's a wierded out old man that has lost his mind. He has done nothing but hurt the Raiders for many years now, and it's only getting worse. Of all the Raiders problems down through the years, Al Davis has been the biggest one by far. And it will get even worse before it gets better with him in charge.

From watching part of the press conference, I was wondering what planet is this guy from? He had nothing good to say about Kiffin which is really sad. He may be senile, but he is also rich. That is going to mean the man is going to maintain control of his organization. BTW, one of the symptoms of Alzheimers is that the person can remember very well what happened 20 years ago, but can't remember what happened 20 minutes ago.

Phil C
10-03-2008, 02:47 PM
HEY IT WAS JUST FIVE YEARS AGO THAT THE RAIDERS WERE IN THE SUPER BOWL!!!!

GreenGobbla
10-03-2008, 02:59 PM
because they had rich gannon and jerry rice