PDA

View Full Version : SEC and the BIG 12

jambo67
10-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Anybody ever notice how the SEC and USC games are prime-time and at night? The commentators broadcast with the booths open and the fan noise is overwhelming, they have to talk over the fans which adds to the effect. Big 12 games seem to be at noon or during the daylight and "canned." The broadcast booth is closed and protected from the fans, it just does'nt feel as rowdy. The SEC just looks like a better package, could that translate with the voting? I know the Big 12 is getting all the respect it deserves right now in the Polls but the SEC just looks better.

eagles_victory
10-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by jambo67
Anybody ever notice how the SEC and USC games are prime-time and at night? The commentators broadcast with the booths open and the fan noise is overwhelming, they have to talk over the fans which adds to the effect. Big 12 games seem to be at noon or during the daylight and "canned." The broadcast booth is closed and protected from the fans, it just does'nt feel as rowdy. The SEC just looks like a better package, could that translate with the voting? I know the Big 12 is getting all the respect it deserves right now in the Polls but the SEC just looks better. What does any of this have to do with the teams on the field?

jambo67
10-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Because perception is reality.

sahen
10-02-2008, 11:33 PM
the big 12's television package is horrible compared to the SEC and Pac10...that hurts them morethan how their games are broadcast....

big daddy russ
10-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by jambo67
Anybody ever notice how the SEC and USC games are prime-time and at night? The commentators broadcast with the booths open and the fan noise is overwhelming, they have to talk over the fans which adds to the effect. Big 12 games seem to be at noon or during the daylight and "canned." The broadcast booth is closed and protected from the fans, it just does'nt feel as rowdy. The SEC just looks like a better package, could that translate with the voting? I know the Big 12 is getting all the respect it deserves right now in the Polls but the SEC just looks better.
The broadcast times have more to do with the TV networks than anything else. Most games are tentatively set for the afternoon to save money on electricity... unless they get TV rights if they'll move it to prime time.

But you're spot on on everything you say.

jambo67
10-02-2008, 11:56 PM
What time is the UT / OU game? If it were a SEC showcase you can bet it would be played in prime-time and hyped like like a beer with 1.5 Carbs per can. I am as big a Longhorn fan as there is but they can do a better job at promoting the Conference.

JR2004
10-03-2008, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The broadcast times have more to do with the TV networks than anything else. Most games are tentatively set for the afternoon to save money on electricity... unless they get TV rights if they'll move it to prime time.

But you're spot on on everything you say.

Russ I do find that when I'm watching an SEC game or any big game involving USC, that the crowd noise comes across as seeming almost deafening for those in attendance at times. The BIG XII games seem pretty boring in comparison to watching LSU, Auburn, Florida, Tennessee etc...

I think that I'm going to head to Baton Rouge to see the Bengal Tigers at some point in the next couple of years. Too many folks I know have said there's nothing like being down there with 90,000 drunk and rowdy Cajuns who have had all day to get fired up for a Saturday night kickoff. I really enjoy watching those Saturday night games they have. That LSU-Florida game from 1997 was amazing to watch. I can't imagine how awesome it would've been to have actually been there in person.

carter08
10-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
What does any of this have to do with the teams on the field?

nothing.

it has to do with manipulation. network wants usc and sec teams 1/2, they make the atmosphere better. give it a sense that everyone is into it.

big 12 game is subdued. less fans, even though thats not true.

bcs is based on cash. you percieve that usc and the sec are more of a draw, they go to title game and big 12 teams get screwed over

Stownhorse
10-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
What does any of this have to do with the teams on the field?

Dude, shut up. If you dont have an opinion about it dont post here.

eagles_victory
10-03-2008, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Dude, shut up. If you dont have an opinion about it dont post here. It was just a question... Really shocked someone would get so riled up about that I thought maybe he was trying to make a point I didnt get or he made a point that I missed the boat on excuse the hell out of me.