PDA

View Full Version : Celina Fans must read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marler1972
10-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Look waht I saw in this mornings metro section of the Dallas Morning news letters to the editor.

Comments 1 | Recommend 0
Email
Print
RSS

Yahoo! Buzz

High school football hubris

09:51 AM CDT on Thursday, October 2, 2008

Having recently moved my daughter to Frisco, I pondered the expense and educational value of these so-called mega athletic programs called Texas high school football.

Yes, I have a daughter. If I did have a boy, I would not allow him to play high school football. I witnessed these youth in Celina strut around the community like they were God's gift to the world. And, of course, it is common knowledge that coaches have a larger paycheck than the academic leaders in the classroom. We pay taxes to academically educate our young, true?

Parents and school board members informed me when I first told them I was not a football fan, that I preferred baseball, that I had moved my family to the wrong community. Oh, by the way, we had moved to Celina so my husband could take over the public school as superintendent.

Cathy Burks, Frisco

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/letters/stories/DN-east_letters_1002edi.State.Edition1.3f5aa7f.html#s lcgm_comments_anchor

Ranger Mom
10-02-2008, 10:10 AM
It will be interesting to see what comments are written here AND on the newspaper site.

Marler....can you provide us with a link please??

marler1972
10-02-2008, 10:14 AM
I posted the link on my original post.

I know alot of these young men and I have never seen them strut around town. I am glad they moved out of Celina.

Sweetwater Red
10-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It will be interesting to see what comments are written here AND on the newspaper site.

Marler....can you provide us with a link please??

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/letters/stories/DN-east_letters_1002edi.State.Edition1.3f5aa7f.html

nobogey72
10-02-2008, 12:45 PM
The "Celina 'Struttin' Bobcats"

Kinda has a nice ring to it.:rolleyes:

Did I read that right? Is her husband the Sup. at Celina now, or was formerly the Sup.?

I wonder if she got any input from him before firing that one off.:eek: :eek:

She sounds like she needs her A$$ whooped. Or, at least her credit cards taken away, or some Prozac. Probably just one of those Midol moments.:thinking:

Sweetwater Red
10-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
The "Celina 'Struttin' Bobcats"

Kinda has a nice ring to it.:rolleyes:

Did I read that right? Is her husband the Sup. at Celina now, or was formerly the Sup.?

I wonder if she got any input from him before firing that one off.:eek: :eek:

She sounds like she needs her A$$ whooped. Or, at least her credit cards taken away, or some Prozac. Probably just one of those Midol moments.:thinking:

I went to the link to view the comments to this letter. I guess
they're not allowing any.:confused:

Sweetwater Red
10-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by marler1972

Parents and school board members informed me when I first told them I was not a football fan, that I preferred baseball, that I had moved my family to the wrong community.

Maybe they were simply trying to say that Celina's baseball team
sucks.:thinking:

kepdawg
10-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Maybe they were simply trying to say that Celina's baseball team
sucks.:thinking:

Then they don't know what they're talking about!

rholl
10-02-2008, 12:57 PM
17 and 18 yr old boys/men strut around every town.....its just what they do at that age. as for coaches making more....its called a stipend. I watched Tuesday as jr high coaches arrived before 6:15 for practice...then went and taught all day..then back to the football field after school for the 4:30 games. When I left at 9:15 games were still going on so coaches were still there til who knows when. THen...I'll be danged...they were back at fieldhouse before 6:15 again on wednesday.

MN95
10-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Her last name doesn't match our current Sup or the one before.

Sweetwater Red
10-02-2008, 01:04 PM
It says could not that he did.:thinking:

Oh, by the way, we had moved to Celina so my husband could take over the public school as superintendent.

Cathy Burks, Frisco

ronwx5x
10-02-2008, 01:11 PM
[B

She sounds like she needs her A$$ whooped. Or, at least her credit cards taken away, or some Prozac. Probably just one of those Midol moments.:thinking: [/B]

She sounds like she feels this is America where there is freedom of speech. While she does not agree with the feelings of most residents of Celina and perhaps all of Texas she does have the right to make her opinion known. I'd like to see what her husband might do to you if you attempted to "whoop her A$$, take her credit cards or force Prozac down her.

Not a good post.:tisk:

kepdawg
10-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
She sounds like she feels this is America where there is freedom of speech. While she does not agree with the feelings of most residents of Celina and perhaps all of Texas she does have the right to make her opinion known. I'd like to see what her husband might do to you if you attempted to "whoop her A$$, take her credit cards or force Prozac down her.

I always enjoy a good freedom of speech post! :clap:

Ranger Mom
10-02-2008, 01:19 PM
I posted the link on my original post.

I know alot of these young men and I have never seen them strut around town. I am glad they moved out of Celina.

Sorry....I must have looked right over it!:nerd:

Ingleside Fan
10-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by rholl 17 and 18 yr old boys/men strut around every town.....its just what they do at that age.

They sure do in our town. Except when they come to my house, they come with the hats in thier hands! Or I SMACK the CRAP out of them!:mad:

Ranger Mom
10-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I went to the link to view the comments to this letter. I guess
they're not allowing any.:confused:

I just read 7 that have been posted!!

kepdawg
10-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by MN95
Her last name doesn't match our current Sup or the one before.

Well, the last one was only there a couple of years. So let's go with the one before that.

Sweetwater Red
10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Ingleside Fan
They sure do in our town. Except when they come to my house, they come with the hats in thier hands! Or I SMACK the CRAP out of them!:mad:

They do in our town too. It's only when they are walking past
the girls though.:D

Ranger Mom
10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Is this not recent??? (http://www.ccsec.org/ISD%20Pages/Celina%20ISD%20Page.htm)

kepdawg
10-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Is this not recent??? (http://www.ccsec.org/ISD%20Pages/Celina%20ISD%20Page.htm)

Do you consider 3 years ago recent?

LH Panther Mom
10-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I just read 7 that have been posted!!
And apparently most don't think that extracurricular activities are beneficial. :eek: :eek:

ronwx5x
10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I always enjoy a good freedom of speech post! :clap:

Glad you read my post. Do I detect a note of sarcasm and derision?

:D

Ranger Mom
10-02-2008, 01:31 PM

Nope...it's not recent....he resigned in 2005!

Celina opens search for new superintendent
05/12/2005 © Mckinny Courier Gazette
The Celina Independent School board of trustees voted unanimously Tuesday night to accept the resignation of superintendent Ken Burks.Burks, who has led the district for seven years, said his decision was strictly personal. He plans to pursue other interests outside of public education.After nearly two hours in closed session the board decided to open the search.

Link is broke but this page works (http://www.tasanet.org/resources/dailydetail.cfm?ItemNumber=1182&snItemNumber=)

Ranger Mom
10-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Do you consider 3 years ago recent?

No....but I looked and didn't see a date!

Where did you find one??

Upon further research, I found where he submitted his resignation!

kepdawg
10-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Glad you read my post. Do I detect a note of sarcasm and derision?

:D

Maybe a hint, but I am always entertained by what usually turns into a multiple thread discourse with people telling each other they have freedom of speech to respond to people's freedom of speech, etc...

kepdawg
10-02-2008, 01:33 PM
No....but I looked and didn't see a date!

Where did you find one??

Upon further research, I found where he submitted his resignation!

I found one on the internet! :)

Sweetwater Red
10-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
And apparently most don't think that extracurricular activities are beneficial. :eek: :eek:

What am I not seeing. I don't see any comments on the first
page. When I click on comments it just shoots me to the middle
of the page and there are still no comments.:confused:

kepdawg
10-02-2008, 01:40 PM

Apparently you are not seeing the comments! :D

Just scroll down...

Ranger Mom
10-02-2008, 01:44 PM

Okay.....so there WASN'T one on that page....I feel better now!

DaHop72
10-02-2008, 01:45 PM
of the page and there are still no comments.:confused: Be patient and let the page load. :devil: :devil:

Ranger Mom
10-02-2008, 01:45 PM

Kep said to scroll down. That doesn't work on my computer....at the top of the page it says "7 comments", right above the title of the article!

kepdawg
10-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Okay.....so there WASN'T one on that page....I feel better now!

Well not exactly, but you wouldn't have gotten 2005 anyway.

marler1972
10-02-2008, 01:48 PM

It was in the printed version of the paper today.

BILLYFRED0000
10-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Oh well. There are a couple in every bunch. Judging by the turnout at the games I would say she was in the minority. :rolleyes:

Sweetwater Red
10-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Kep said to scroll down. That doesn't work on my computer....at the top of the page it says "7 comments", right above the title of the article!

It was my computer. I went to the community computer on the
other side of the room and it loaded the comments just fine. I was
beginning to feel like crzy and the combination lock.:nerd:

RattlerDude
10-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Look waht I saw in this mornings metro section of the Dallas Morning news letters to the editor.

Comments 1 | Recommend 0
Email
Print
RSS

Yahoo! Buzz

Having recently moved my daughter to Frisco, I pondered the expense and educational value of these so-called mega athletic programs called Texas high school football.

Yes, I have a daughter. If I did have a boy, I would not allow him to play high school football. I witnessed these youth in Celina strut around the community like they were God's gift to the world. And, of course, it is common knowledge that coaches have a larger paycheck than the academic leaders in the classroom. We pay taxes to academically educate our young, true?

Parents and school board members informed me when I first told them I was not a football fan, that I preferred baseball, that I had moved my family to the wrong community. Oh, by the way, we had moved to Celina so my husband could take over the public school as superintendent.

Cathy Burks, Frisco

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/letters/stories/DN-east_letters_1002edi.State.Edition1.3f5aa7f.html#s lcgm_comments_anchor that is so funny! Lol

nobogey72
10-02-2008, 02:50 PM

"Lighten up Francis" I was just jacking around. I would imagine that she has reasons to feel the way she does. I agree that she has every right to voice her opinion. If you have read very many of my posts, they are seldom anything but sarcasm, or an attempt to be funny. If I wanted to get into an intellectual, meaningful, philosophical debate it wouldn't be on here with you bunch of morons.:D
I'm sure there is an MD in The Woodlands that can remove that corn cob for you.:eek: :eek:

Ranger Mom
10-02-2008, 02:54 PM
"Lighten up Francis" I was just jacking around. I would imagine that she has reasons to feel the way she does. I agree that she has every right to voice her opinion. If you have read very many of my posts, they are seldom anything but sarcasm, or an attempt to be funny. If I wanted to get into an intellectual, meaningful, philosophical debate it wouldn't be on here with you bunch of morons.:D
I'm sure there is an MD in The Woodlands that can remove that corn cob for you.:eek: :eek:

I think you would be hard pressed to find many on here that COULD give you an intellectual, meaningful, philosophical debate!!:crazy1: :crazy1:

Bullaholic
10-02-2008, 03:18 PM

Comments 1 | Recommend 0
Email
Print
RSS

Yahoo! Buzz

Cathy Burks, Frisco

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/letters/stories/DN-east_letters_1002edi.State.Edition1.3f5aa7f.html#s lcgm_comments_anchor

Yet another instance of the Academics vs Athletics argument. I believe that the primary mission of our schools is to educate our children, but I also believe that extracurricular activities are a vital contributor to that effort to produce the complete student and future American citizen due to the pride in achievement and participation that is instilled.

If a student wears the school colors in any school extracurricular activity, I think they should be supported enthusiastically by the entire community, student body, faculty, and administration without exception.

BobcatBenny
10-02-2008, 03:29 PM
It really is simple.

Her husband obviously does not pay enough attention to her.

So, she is out to create drama in her life. It is the "annoying woman" cycle. :eek:

Freedom of Speech! Freedom of Speech! :D

ronwx5x
10-02-2008, 03:37 PM

First, my name is not Francis, it is Ron. I am an adult and entitled to comment as often as you, at least until a Mod changes my mind. Your post was, in my opinion, nothing but an emotional rant calling for ridiculous consequences. As I have read many of your posts, this is usually what they are, not sarcasm, just BS. As far as the cob, it seems to have moved to you. "Lighten up" nobody.

marler1972
10-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Dang kids do we need to get the octagon out and have the battle of 3a Downlow?

Sweetwater Red
10-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Dang kids do we need to get the octagon out and have the battle of 3a Downlow?

Given the age of these two gentlemen, it might be better if
they battled at a game of checkers.:thinking:

marler1972
10-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Given the age of these two gentlemen, it might be better if
they battled at a game of checkers.:thinking:

Ok we could get a octagon and set up a table and chairs in it.

nobogey72
10-02-2008, 03:56 PM
First, my name is not Francis, it is Ron. I am an adult and entitled to comment as often as you, at least until a Mod changes my mind. Your post was, in my opinion, nothing but an emotional rant calling for ridiculous consequences. As I have read many of your posts, this is usually what they are, not sarcasm, just BS. As far as the cob, it seems to have moved to you. "Lighten up" nobody.

Ron,
Man I didn't mean to offend you. The "Lighten up Francis" is from the movie "Stripes". I guess you didn't see it. The ridiculous consequences you refer to were just THAT---- . I certainly wouldn't resort to any of those measures. I've found that a simple backhand normally gets the desired results. PEACE

Ranger Mom
10-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Ron,
Man I didn't mean to offend you. The "Lighten up Francis" is from the movie "Stripes". I guess you didn't see it. The ridiculous consequences you refer to were just THAT---- . I certainly wouldn't resort to any of those measures. I've found that a simple backhand normally gets the desired results. PEACE

I actually posted a "lighten up Francis" link earlier to Rocket....did you listen to it??:D

I think Ron is way off base here.....I believe the greater majority of your posts are sarcastic!!:p

Here it is again...in case you missed the earlier one!!!

Just for you!! (http://new.wavlist.com/movies/135/str-lightenup.wav) :kiss:

Bullaholic
10-02-2008, 04:07 PM
Hurryup Gameday! Especially next week's.

pirate4state
10-02-2008, 04:10 PM
"I'll take things that should be said in private messages" for $1000

:rolleyes:

garciap77
10-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
It really is simple.

Her husband obviously does not pay enough attention to her.

So, she is out to create drama in her life. It is the "annoying woman" cycle. :eek:

Freedom of Speech! Freedom of Speech! :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

ronwx5x
10-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Ron,

No offense taken. Right back at you.

bobcat1
10-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I would like to wish her well wherever she may go as long as leads in a straight line away from Celina. I would resign too if I were her husband. I'd resign from my marriage that is. http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9048/violent104pm3.gif

Buckeye80
10-02-2008, 08:51 PM
This is Texas. This is football. You don't like it? Leave.

Twirling Time
10-03-2008, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
This is Texas. This is football. You don't like it? Leave.

Or move to Peaster. :)

nobogey72
10-03-2008, 05:57 AM
Here is my take on the "strutting" around that she is referring to. And, I know I'll take some shots for this one. What some see as "strutting" around, can also be seen as confidence. Confidence comes in many different forms for 16-18 yr olds. As parents of these strutters, we have tried from day one to instill confidence in our kids, and yes sometimes it comes across as cocky, arrogant strutting. And, when this strutting comes at the expense of other students that are not athletes then that is definitely NOT COOL. But, I think there is a fine line between strutting and appearing self confident. And I would say that those kids in Celina that she refers to as strutting around are full of confidence that they have earned and been taught by their coaches, parents, success, and community. And, I think THAT confidence will serve them their whole life if channelled properly. Underneath that cocky strutting exterior that we see sometimes is just a fragile typical 16-18 yr old that has the same self-doubts and insecurities and need for approval that all kids feel at that age. And, that's all I have to say about that.

bobcat1
10-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Here is my take on the "strutting" around that she is referring to. And, I know I'll take some shots for this one. What some see as "strutting" around, can also be seen as confidence. Confidence comes in many different forms for 16-18 yr olds. As parents of these strutters, we have tried from day one to instill confidence in our kids, and yes sometimes it comes across as cocky, arrogant strutting. And, when this strutting comes at the expense of other students that are not athletes then that is definitely NOT COOL. But, I think there is a fine line between strutting and appearing self confident. And I would say that those kids in Celina that she refers to as strutting around are full of confidence that they have earned and been taught by their coaches, parents, success, and community. And, I think THAT confidence will serve them their whole life if channelled properly. Underneath that cocky strutting exterior that we see sometimes is just a fragile typical 16-18 yr old that has the same self-doubts and insecurities and need for approval that all kids feel at that age. And, that's all I have to say about that.

You nailed it! Even in all their cockiness is that same 15-18 year old that has the same insecurities and problems that all teenagers have. Our community loves those and all our kids.

BILLYFRED0000
10-03-2008, 07:30 AM
YOu said that right Bobcat1. These kids need every bit of support and love we can muster because life happens. Last year was tough when Kelsey Fuqua was killed. The band really never recovered with reason and the school was affected. Those kids in the band are just as great at what they do and work just as hard. So do the cheerleaders and the drill team and well the list goes on and on. They have earned the right to be proud of their group and their school and no adult should condescend to them because they don't like it or the kids.

Balcones fault
10-03-2008, 10:18 AM
I've lived in Celina, and I also moved away. I, like the Burks, had a daughter (who if still there would be a Senior this year) and no sons. So, here's my perspective, having experienced other schools. That and $4 will get you a soy thai latte at Starbucks. (Austin joke, yall). ;)

I agree with Ms. Burks and here's why:

Celina has a very successful HS football program, with tremendous community support. That much is obvious. It comes at a price and that, IMO, takes away from other programs such as girl's athletics. This was especially obvious during the Moore administration of athletics. The situation improved once he went away and Butch Ford took over. Some of that same attitude still remains though. I think that is only natural and it will eventually fade as the school grows and there are fewer BiC's (born in Celina). Hey, its a small town. They all have there entrenched attitudes. I experienced that attitude first hand, though I wasn't born and raised in Celina. For someone who would come into the community (outsider?) it would definitely appear that boys football is and has been over emphasized to the detriment of other programs.

As for education, based on k-4, I thought the schools were excellent. Strutting? I agree that its the age. Heck, the football players at my daughter's HS strutted and they went 2-9. The football players in Celina always seemed polite and collectively very well behaved. I don't think they wanted to risk their playing status with bad behavior, and in that regard, the football program benefitted the community as a whole. However, balance would/could have been of greater benefit, in my opinion.

BILLYFRED: We drove up from Austin to attend Kelsey's funeral. The community support of the Fuqua family was incredible. I hope the family is doing ok, along with the Seniors, the band, and the other classmates and church family members.

Apologies for the long winded post, but I felt that it needed to be said.

charlesrixey
10-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Balcones fault
I've lived in Celina, and I also moved away. I, like the Burks, had a daughter (who if still there would be a Senior this year) and no sons. So, here's my perspective, having experienced other schools. That and $4 will get you a soy thai latte at Starbucks. (Austin joke, yall). ;)

Celina has a very successful HS football program, with tremendous community support. That much is obvious. It comes at a price and that, IMO, takes away from other programs such as girl's athletics. This was especially obvious during the Moore administration of athletics. The situation improved once he went away and Butch Ford took over. Some of that same attitude still remains though. I think that is only natural and it will eventually fade as the school grows and there are fewer BiC's (born in Celina). Hey, its a small town. They all have there entrenched attitudes. I experienced that attitude first hand, though I wasn't born and raised in Celina. For someone who would come into the community (outsider?) it would definitely appear that boys football is and has been over emphasized to the detriment of other programs.

i'm not sure i agree with 'football has been focused on to the detriment of other programs'

Celina won state titles in boys' and girls' track, girls' cross country, football, baseball and made it to the state tournament in girls' basketball during the time i lived there (7 years-and i will return to the area when i am done 'traveling')

i personally knew many students who competed at the region level in academics (i was one place away from going to state myself-and i did go to the state finals in marching band) and we have since had students advance to the state level in academics

however, there is a greater obvious emphasis on football

so what?

celina's football team has long been the main source of pride for the town, and for good reason. That pride and attitude trickles down to the rest of the student body. And the athletic director does not control what the students learn in the classroom--that is the teacher's responsibility (i was a senior at UTD about to become a teacher's assistant when i joined the Marines). My 3 children would be just fine in celina--the only complaint i had was that there wasn't enough diversity in terms of what classes you could take, but that is endemic in all small town schools.

as far as i can recall, the burks' children turned out fine, and if they didn't it was because of the parents and teachers, not the athletic department!

Balcones fault
10-03-2008, 10:48 AM
"i'm not sure i agree with 'football has been focused on to the detriment of other programs'"

When we lived there, there was no girl's volleyball. No boy's basketball was played during the football playoffs. Boys enrolled in athletics and in the fall athletics WAS football period. Lunch for the team was spent watching film segregated from the other students.

Sure, I'm biased because I played basketball in HS and not football so I thought the Celina basketball players were treated unfairly, IMO. I reckon there were 10 kids who weren't good football players that might have wanted to play some roundball during the football postseason (5-6 weeks typically). I agree that other sports programs were successful but with the exception of girls x-country, they didn't compete with football for coaches or participants.

As I said, I have no qualms with the education offered, nor the quality of life in Celina, nor the people. My post should also be corrected to say that I agree with SOME of Ms. Burks post(expired time limit)

bobcat1
10-03-2008, 11:29 AM

As for education, based on k-4, I thought the schools were excellent. Strutting? I agree that its the age. Heck, the football players at my daughter's HS strutted and they went 2-9. The football players in Celina always seemed polite and collectively very well behaved. I don't think they wanted to risk their playing status with bad behavior, and in that regard, the football program benefitted the community as a whole. However, balance would/could have been of greater benefit, in my opinion.

BILLYFRED: We drove up from Austin to attend Kelsey's funeral. The community support of the Fuqua family was incredible. I hope the family is doing ok, along with the Seniors, the band, and the other classmates and church family members.

I know that for a fact the "Detrement to other programs" is an absolute misrepresentation.:hand: Every girls softball game has boy's coaches in attnedance including Coach Ford, Coach Elliot, Coach Hutson, Coach Jones, Coach Davis, and the list goes on and on. They usually are grilling food down one of the sidelines. They also attend Basketball and baseball games, Track and field events, and anything else involving the kids. They also attend Church with the same kids.:clap: :clap: :clap:

They don't do well in Basketball because they play football too long. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They absolutely love and back all kids. Go by the little league parks and watch Soccer, Baseball, and Softball. The whole town is so involved with the kids and back them in everything. To even question it is absurd in my opinion.

nobogey72
10-03-2008, 11:32 AM
After reading some of the posts on here, then went back and read her letter over again. She wasn't complaining about the lack of girls sports or overemphasis of football. She was complaining about overpaid coaches, and kids that think they are "God's gift to the world", and that classroom teachers were being slighted. To me, being an outsider and never even been to Celina, it's pretty obvious she is carrying some kind of grudge against Celina and something traumatic must have happened to someone in her family during their stay there. JMO

I think every HS in TX has it's groups of parents that feel that way too much emphasis is placed on football. I know it is that way at Wylie. The other sports parents sometimes make it known that it is not a fair situation. But the bottom line is this IMO-----how many people show up on a Friday night to watch the football team....... and how many show up to watch the golf or tennis team. It is just a cold hard fact. And, I love the golf and tennis teams. They are just not big spectator sports and they do not generate the kind of revenue that football does. Just the way it is.

BILLYFRED0000
10-03-2008, 11:34 AM
There is an obvious caveat that has not been spoken. This program has been like this for a long time. The school has 16 or 17 state titles only 8 of which are football. The boys know from the time they are in middle school what is expected of them if they choose football. And they choose. Why? Because they win.
And everybody likes to win don't they? So if the boys choose to be in a program that has the restrictions that it does then it will continue to be that way because it works for them. BTW band has a couple of state titles as well. My daughter won the district golf meet and missed going to state in golf by a stroke at the region meet. The girls don't get left out like you think because my girls were there. Football still gets emphasis. Majority sort of thing in Celina. Democratic almost dont you think.

charlesrixey
10-03-2008, 12:06 PM
"i'm not sure i agree with 'football has been focused on to the detriment of other programs'"

When we lived there, there was no girl's volleyball. No boy's basketball was played during the football playoffs. Boys enrolled in athletics and in the fall athletics WAS football period. Lunch for the team was spent watching film segregated from the other students.

Sure, I'm biased because I played basketball in HS and not football so I thought the Celina basketball players were treated unfairly, IMO. I reckon there were 10 kids who weren't good football players that might have wanted to play some roundball during the football postseason (5-6 weeks typically). I agree that other sports programs were successful but with the exception of girls x-country, they didn't compete with football for coaches or participants.

As I said, I have no qualms with the education offered, nor the quality of life in Celina, nor the people. My post should also be corrected to say that I agree with SOME of Ms. Burks post(expired time limit)

at the time, celina was a large 2A/small 3A town (still is) and there a lot of 2A schools which don't have volleyball-for them, they prioritize, and given the unique importance of football at the high school level in texas, it is not surprising--less than a dozen 2A schools play basketball only, so it's easy to see that most schools see football as the first sporting priority, for whatever reason. If and when celina is 5A, there is no reason to believe that the bobcats can't be just as balanced academically as Southlake Carroll or Highland Park, and given the likely future demographics of the region, i think there stands a great chance of that.

marler1972
10-03-2008, 12:52 PM

As for basketball the boys program is a little behind due to the fact that a large amount of the players are on the football team and we make deep runs into the playoffs every year. That is just the way small schools are. They hired a new boys basketball coach and from what I have heard they are doing off season with the boys that are not on the football team.

The girls program is improving with the hiring of Coach Coleman as the girls director. Things are looking up on the girls athletics. The freshman girls are very good look for I am looking forward to watching them as go thru the next few years.

BILLYFRED0000
10-03-2008, 01:14 PM
As for basketball the boys program is a little behind due to the fact that a large amount of the players are on the football team and we make deep runs into the playoffs every year. That is just the way small schools are. They hired a new boys basketball coach and from what I have heard they are doing off season with the boys that are not on the football team.

The girls program is improving with the hiring of Coach Coleman as the girls director. Things are looking up on the girls athletics. The freshman girls are very good look for I am looking forward to watching them as go thru the next few years.

Well do not forget that Coach Davis is one of the football coaches and was the roundball coach. Can't coach in two places at once either.

Tromboneking
10-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Yes, coaches get a stipend, along with band directors, which they deserve for all the extra hours spent on the job. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with some coaches who make almost $100,000 a year. I know for a fact of a coach who makes $95k a year...That is a lot more than a regular classroom teacher.

But, I respect the coaches and all they do...it is a hard job with long hours.

marler1972
10-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Tromboneking
Yes, coaches get a stipend, along with band directors, which they deserve for all the extra hours spent on the job. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with some coaches who make almost $100,000 a year. I know for a fact of a coach who makes $95k a year...That is a lot more than a regular classroom teacher.

But, I respect the coaches and all they do...it is a hard job with long hours.

That is a head football coach/Athletic Director I am sure.

Pick6
10-03-2008, 03:00 PM
That is a head football coach/Athletic Director I am sure.

Just because it's a HC/AD doesn't make the $95 thousand fair.

ronwx5x
10-03-2008, 03:05 PM
How the heck did this thread turn into a treatise on Head Coach salaries? I thought we were arguing about some woman who complains too much. Sheesh!:) :)

At least head coaches (mostly) are football related.

BurkFan
10-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Yet another instance of the Academics vs Athletics argument. I believe that the primary mission of our schools is to educate our children, but I also believe that extracurricular activities are a vital contributor to that effort to produce the complete student and future American citizen due to the pride in achievement and participation that is instilled.

If a student wears the school colors in any school extracurricular activity, I think they should be supported enthusiastically by the entire community, student body, faculty, and administration without exception.

:ditto: Very well said Bullaholic!

WildTexan972
10-03-2008, 05:44 PM
It says could not that he did.:thinking:

Oh, by the way, we had moved to Celina so my husband could take over the public school as superintendent.

Cathy Burks, Frisco

a previous ISD Supr was named Burks.....although I would have sworn they spelled it Burkes....if she don't like football, no big deal....most people don't like naggy old hags either, so it works out about even....if she thinks taxes are collected to educate our children, she is a fool - taxes are collected to run the schools but education is NOT the primary concern of most teachers - they all SAY it is, but most just want to keep their job like anyone else while getting the summers off....

nobogey72
10-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
a previous ISD Supr was named Burks.....although I would have sworn they spelled it Burkes....if she don't like football, no big deal....most people don't like naggy old hags either, so it works out about even....if she thinks taxes are collected to educate our children, she is a fool - taxes are collected to run the schools but education is NOT the primary concern of most teachers - they all SAY it is, but most just want to keep their job like anyone else while getting the summers off....

WOW!!!! That's a pretty harsh statement, if you were serious. I would hate to think that very many people would agree with that statement. I'm sure that there are some that look at it that way. I sure don't know any or have run across any in my 54 yrs and 3 kids. Abilene must be lucky. My guess is that YOU were one of those students that made most teachers want to find another line of work. Just a hunch.:eek: :eek: