PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Grad Tre Gray Catches on at Richmond

44INAROW
10-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Cuero’s Gray catches on at Richmond

October 01, 2008 - 10:51 p.m.
Tre Gray didn’t know where Richmond, Va. was, but he doesn’t want to think about his life without it.

Gray had never left Texas when he accepted a football scholarship from the University of Richmond during his senior season at Cuero and in just over a year’s time, his eyes have opened to a world he never imagined.

“This is a whole new culture and a whole new side of the world,” Gray said. “The people are different and the culture is different. I’m just absorbing everything I see.”

Gray has had quite a bit to digest since completing his Cuero career as an all-state wide receiver and graduating at the age of 17.

He decided to sign with Richmond after being introduced to the school by Cuero coach Mark Reeve.

“I think coach Reeve knows everybody,” Gray said. “The defensive ends coach knew coach Reeve from a while back and he was real persistent. He called me every week and came to see me every month.”

Uncertainty in move

Gray wasn’t certain what was in store for him at Richmond and he admits to having second thoughts after being redshirted last season.

“My first year was kind of hard,” Gray said. “It was hard not playing. At Cuero I played every sport. They thought I was capable of playing, but they wanted me to get more into coverages and understanding the next level of play.

“Sometimes I wondered, ‘Why am I here?’ and most of the time, I just kept to myself. As the year progressed, things came a little easier. Now that I’m playing, I’m starting to bond with more of my teammates.”

Gray called home virtually every day during his first year at Richmond and returned to Cuero for the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays and spring break. But Gray maintained his grades and never wavered on his commitment to football.

“In the spring, they kept on getting on me about going the extra mile,” Gray said. “I took spring as an opportunity to show them what I can do on the field. In the summer, I decided to leave Texas and come back here. I showed them I was working hard and should be on the field.”

Becoming at starter

Gray became a starter at wide receiver and through five games has caught 17 passes for 192 yards and one touchdown. The Spiders were ranked No. 1 in the nation in the NCAA’s Division I championship sub-division poll until last week’s 26-20 loss to Villanova knocked them to No. 6.

“Tre’s work ethic and desire to be great has propelled him to having a major role in game-planning and how our offense attacks opponents,” Richmond wide receivers coach Mark Carney said of Gray, who caught four passes for 67 yards against Villanova. “Even though Tre is just a redshirt freshman, the experience he has gained already this season helps him play and prepare like a seasoned veteran. His attitude and demeanor goes a long way in giving his teammates and the coaching staff confidence in him that he will get the job done no matter what the task.”

Gray’s growth is continuing off the field. He is learning how to better manage his time, while making the most of road trips to North Carolina and Pennsylvania with trips to Massachusetts and New York still to come.

“It took a while and it’s still taking a while,” Gray said. “It’s hard to balance school and football. They’ve done a lot to help me out, but I’m still trying to learn how to get my work done ahead of time.”

Gray is weighing a major in business or psychology, but he is no longer wavering on his decision to step outside of his comfort zone.

“I find myself thinking about it every now and then,” Gray said. “I think I made the right choice. I made it and I want to stick with it. I got a chance to play early and I’m in an offense I’m a part of. School is real good. If I can finish out like I want to, it will be pretty much straight ahead from here.”

Mike Forman is a sports writer for the Victoria Advocate. Contact him at 361-580-6588 or mforman@vicad.com, or comment on this column at www.VictoriaAdvocate.com.
Link to story.. Way to go Tre - Keep up the good work...... (http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/topsports/story/329577.html)

Chillimaru
10-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Good for him:clap: :clap:

bobcat1
10-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Nice!:clap: :clap: :clap:

pirate4state
10-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Way to go Tre!!! Hope he continues to do well. :clap:

Daddy D 11
10-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Tre was the fastest player I've ever seen in person:eek:
That boy could skoot!

Good to see him representing 3A Texas all the way in Virginia.

LH Panther Mom
10-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Nice article. I remember when I first saw him @ LT 7-7 tourney. He was a little thing, but F-A-S-T! :clap:

Daddy D 11
10-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Nice article. I remember when I first saw him @ LT 7-7 tourney. He was a little thing, but F-A-S-T! :clap:

Do you remember 2006 in Cuero? He put on a show..

LH Panther Mom
10-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Do you remember 2006 in Cuero? He put on a show..
Of course! :eek: I'm old, not senile. :p ;)

Daddy D 11
10-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Of course! :eek: I'm old, not senile. :p ;)

You're not old :kiss: :inlove: AT ALL:D

GreenGobbla
10-02-2008, 12:44 PM
great article. hope he can continue to keep up the good work.

44INAROW
10-02-2008, 01:21 PM

LHPM - I think that was one of the hottest days I've ever spent watching a sporting event.... It was horrible........... I think I have that picture on my home PC of you with the Gobblers sitting on the bench. I'm going to look for it when I get home:cool:

LH Panther Mom
10-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
LHPM - I think that was one of the hottest days I've ever spent watching a sporting event.... It was horrible........... I think I have that picture on my home PC of you with the Gobblers sitting on the bench. I'm going to look for it when I get home:cool:
It was pretty disgusting, and sadly, I've been to a few since that were not far off. :ack!: