PDA

View Full Version : What constitutes "powerhouse" distinction?

nunya
10-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Advancing to fourth round at least five times in a decade?

Always wondered this because some teams use the term too liberally. What one region calls "powerhouse", another calls average.

JR2004
10-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by nunya
Advancing to fourth round at least five times in a decade?

Always wondered this because some teams use the term too liberally. What one region calls "powerhouse", another calls average.

Some folks consider teams that consistently win their district a power. Others seem to consider teams a power if they consistent go to the third round or further year in and year out. Then there are others who only define a power by how many state titles they have.

Personally I think anyone who enjoys consistent success would be considered a power to me.

nunya
10-01-2008, 08:41 PM
When I think of powers, I think Daingerfiled, Gilmer, Cuero, LH, Stephenville, Southlake Carroll, North Shore, Katy, Temple (used to), Westlake (despite wanting to vomit) and Highland Park (vomit Part II).

Old Tiger
10-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Powerhouses IMO are Celina, Southlake Carroll, Liberty Hill, Sealy, Brownwood, Stephenville, La Marque, MOJO, WO-S, and Waco all during their respective times.

WOS87
10-01-2008, 08:46 PM
When I think of powers, I think Daingerfiled, Gilmer, Cuero, LH, Stephenville, Southlake Carroll, North Shore, Katy, Temple (used to), Westlake (despite wanting to vomit) and Highland Park (vomit Part II).

Only 3 of the above teams has won more state titles than WO-S in the past 25 years and NONE of them have a higher all-time winning percentage so I would add WO-S to that list.

nunya
10-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Powerhouses IMO are Celina, Southlake Carroll, Liberty Hill, Sealy, Brownwood, Stephenville, La Marque all during their respective times.

LaMarque and Celina agreed, but no longer Sealy and Brownwood. Yesteryear, sure, but not now.

Old Tiger
10-01-2008, 08:49 PM
LaMarque and Celina agreed, but no longer Sealy and Brownwood. Yesteryear, sure, but not now. you failed to read the "all during their respective times"

nunya
10-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
Only 3 of the above teams has won more state titles than WO-S in the past 25 years and NONE of them have a higher all-time winning percentage so I would add WO-S to that list.

Again, I'm thinking in past four or five years. WOS's moving down classifications and still not making it to semis doesn't warrant the label at least not now. Bay City was another one until recent years.

JR2004
10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Highland Park (vomit Part II).

Can't stand them at all and it has nothing to do with their success. They've been jackasses to Madison before in basketball. Their coach at the time, Jody Bass, threw a temper tantrum about losing to Madison in the Coca Cola and not winning the tournament championship in 1999. He said in the DMN that they were cheated out of a win. Thankfully DISD has been humbling them on the basketball court for the last decade. :)

In football I can't stand them because of how they did a good friend of mine when he was at Samuell coaching football. They treated Samuell like crap from the time they got off the bus to the time they got back on. It went from their coaches right on down to their fans. They lost the game to Samuell 17-14 in the first round (HP was ranked #1 in the state) and their fans called the players and coaches from Samuell every name in the book (I'm sure you can guess what was said.) My friend still refuses to schedule them in any sport to this day and he said he never will after that incident.

nunya
10-01-2008, 08:50 PM
you failed to read the "all during their respective times"

yea, but the post is about past decade to now, just to clarify

WOS87
10-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Again, I'm thinking in past four or five years. WOS's moving down classifications and still not making it to semis doesn't warrant the label at least not now. Bay City was another one until recent years.

Ummm... who was the Division I Region III Champ (aka Semifinalist) in 2005?

And... who knocked off the #1 Ranked 3A team in the state last year in the 2nd round of the playoffs?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-01-2008, 08:51 PM
LaMarque and Celina agreed, but no longer Sealy Yesteryear, sure, but not now.

JR2004
10-01-2008, 08:53 PM
It just never ends. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Old Tiger
10-01-2008, 08:54 PM
This decade powerhouses have been Southlake Carroll, Celina, Liberty Hill, and Alto to name a few.

nunya
10-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Can't stand them at all and it has nothing to do with their success. They've been jackasses to Madison before in basketball. Their coach at the time, Jody Bass, threw a temper tantrum about losing to Madison in the Coca Cola and not winning the tournament championship. He said in the DMN that they were cheated out of a win. Thankfully DISD has been humbling them on the basketball court for the last decade. :)

In football I can't stand them because of how they did a good friend of mine when he was at Samuell coaching football. They treated Samuell like crap from the time they got off the bus to the time they got back on. It went from their coaches right on down to their fans. They lost the game to Samuell 17-14 in the first round (HP was ranked #1 in the state) and their fans called the players and coaches from Samuell every name in the book (I'm sure you can guess what was said.) My friend still refuses to schedule them in any sport to this day and he said he never will after that incident.

I remember in the early and mid-70's when Westlake taunted their opponents with phrases like "Cash vs. Trash" - even with run-through posters.

Hilarious thing was, in those early days when Westlake was still fairly new, Caldwell beat them five out of six times in district action before they lured our coach there and his butt lost immediately and got canned before having to retire in Brenham.

... and don't kid yourself, Westlake's parents thought their kids were cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute. :dispntd:

nunya
10-01-2008, 08:57 PM
This decade powerhouses have been Southlake Carroll, Celina, Liberty Hill, and Alto to name a few.

.. and Groveton back in the day.

kepdawg
10-01-2008, 08:59 PM
.. and Groveton back in the day.

You are straight up confusing me talking about this decade and then throwing in your own back in the day schools!

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Ummm... who was the Division I Region III Champ (aka Semifinalist) in 2005?

And... who knocked off the #1 Ranked 3A team in the state last year in the 2nd round of the playoffs?

With Fitzhenry, it woudn't have happened. I was shocked WOS just won by 9, to be honest. But yes, WOS is definintely in the upper 15 percentile over team history.

pirate4state
10-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Again, I'm thinking in past four or five years. WOS's moving down classifications and still not making it to semis doesn't warrant the label at least not now. Bay City was another one until recent years. Says you! LOL. You are asking for people's opinion on what constitues a "powerhouse". WOS87 and several other folks will agree that WOS is a "powerhouse" team.

There really is no wrong/right answer, IMO.

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
You are straight up confusing me talking about this decade and then throwing in your own back in the day schools!

Bottom line. If you haven't dominated your region in 7 of 10 years, you might be very good but maybe not "powerhouse" good

Whining isn't really necessary. There are other posts if this gets you bent out of shape.

WOS87
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
With Fitzhenry, it woudn't have happened. I was shocked WOS just won by 9, to be honest. But yes, WOS is definintely in the upper 15 percentile over team history.

WO-S 42
Fitzhenry 21

kepdawg
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Bottom line. If you haven't dominated your region in 7 of 10 years, you might be very good but maybe not "powerhouse" good

Whining isn't really necessary. There are other posts if this gets you bent out of shape.

I'm just trying to keep up with you! Several people have offered suggestions from various time frames, including yourself, but then you said it was only about the past decade.

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:10 PM
WO-S 42
Fitzhenry 21

But you frickin' used to be 5A, then 4A and now 3A.

WOS is the best team to ever walk the face of the Galaxy. THERE!

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Wasn't the Fitz a sophomore then?

WOS87
10-01-2008, 09:11 PM
But you frickin' used to be 5A, then 4A and now 3A.

WOS is the best team to ever walk the face of the Galaxy. THERE!

I'm glad you finally agree

:D :D :D

LH Panther Mom
10-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Wasn't the Fitz a sophomore then?
He was a junior when we played them. I personally was more impressed with the team effort the second half. :)

Old Tiger
10-01-2008, 09:15 PM
in 2005 fitzhenry was a sophomore

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 09:15 PM

then take D-Field off your list, they have not dominated much recently

For the last few years

Celina, Gilmer, LH, Cuero in 3A

other classes..Tatum, Alto, HP, SLC

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
then take D-Field off your list, they have not dominated much recently

For the last few years

Celina, Gilmer, LH, Cuero in 3A

other classes..Tatum, Alto, HP, SLC

They've held their own pretty much, though. Sure shut up Celina and Tatum.

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 09:20 PM
They've held their own pretty much, though. Sure shut up Celina and Tatum.

So now a powerhouse is beating ONE team in ONE year?

Need to make ur mind up...and when did they shut up Tatum?

Tatum beat D-Field twice last year and once in 06

pirate4state
10-01-2008, 09:22 PM
So now a powerhouse is beating ONE team in ONE year?

Need to make ur mind up...and when did they shut up Tatum?

Tatum beat D-Field twice last year and once in 06

Well, that's what he's trying to figure out! Keep up!

WOS87
10-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Here ya go.... I'll stop messing with you. I doubt many could argue against any of the following being considered "powerhouses" in the past decade... if that's the timeframe you are using.

This was compiled using win-loss records through the end of the 2007 season

...and Tatum is on several of these rankings by the way

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/scores/state10yrdynasty.gif

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:23 PM
NEW rule to be powerhouse:

At least 120 wins in 10 years, including playoffs.

That should prevent people from hyperventilating if they're name isn't called.

All-time powerhouse:

SLC (unfortunately)

kepdawg
10-01-2008, 09:24 PM

Looks like we have 4 powerhouses then!

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 09:26 PM

what if u have less wins but like 5 or 6 state titles in a 10 year period?

pirate4state
All of a sudden this feels like a pick up game in the backyard where the rules change depending who is winning/losing at any certain point! :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom

That knocks us out, then, I'm fairly certain!

WOS87

So by your definition, only 4 teams currently qualify among ALL classifications

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:27 PM
what if u have less wins but like 5 or 6 state titles in a 10 year period?

They you're a sometimey powerhouse :p

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:28 PM

If it will close this harmless thread, then
IT
WORKS
FOR
ME

kepdawg
Originally posted by pirate4state
All of a sudden this feels like a pick up game in the backyard where the rules change depending who is winning/losing at any certain point! :rolleyes:

Yep! Before too long somebody's going to take their ball home so nobody else can play!

Txbroadcaster
They you're a sometimey powerhouse :p

you still never answerd how D-Field shut Tatum up?

WOS87
10-01-2008, 09:31 PM

...and 1 of the 4 doesn't have a single state title to their name. (Smithson Valley is 0-3-0 in State Championship games)

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:31 PM
you still never answerd how D-Field shut Tatum up?

Why is it THAT important to you?

The point is they made a comeback from losing their luster. Give them credit.

Overall, I still say they're a powerhouse, shearly from their best-ever 1983 Texas high school team.

Watch the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9owTM9SyH0

kepdawg
10-01-2008, 09:32 PM
:vrycnfsd:

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 09:38 PM

Overall, I still say they're a powerhouse, shearly from their best-ever 1983 Texas high school team.

Watch the video:

Yep D-Field's 83 team was awesome...not sure how that makes them a power today..or how there 0-3 last 3 games agianst Tatum showed they shut up Tatu,

WOS87
10-01-2008, 09:38 PM

Watch the video:

Then by that reasoning Waco High should be listed as a powerhouse as their 1921 team scored 567 points and allowed ZERO the entire season and their 1923 team scored 517 and allowed only 3.

...they also beat Caldwell 98-0 in 1928

:D

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/w/wacohigh.gif

pirate4state
10-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Yep D-Field's 83 team was awesome...not sure how that makes them a power today..or how there 0-3 last 3 games agianst Tatum showed they shut up Tatu, :spitlol: :spitlol: I can't stop laughing. Kinda like "turn left, right?" {turns right} :D

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Then by that reasoning Waco High should be listed as a powerhouse as their 1921 team scored 567 points and allowed ZERO the entire season and their 1923 team scored 517 and allowed only 3.

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/w/wacohigh.gif

If it will calm your nerves, by all means....

YES!

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:spitlol: :spitlol: I can't stop laughing. Kinda like "turn left, right?" {turns right} :D

HAHAHAH EXACTLY!!!!

Ranger Mom
10-01-2008, 09:43 PM

So what is the most any one team has scored in a game??

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
HAHAHAH EXACTLY!!!! :blahblah:

Old Tiger
10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
If it will calm your nerves, by all means....

YES! your nerves are the only ones going crazy

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Some team in East Texas won 99-0 moons ago, I think.... Deweyville or their opponent, I think

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 09:45 PM
:blahblah:

lol your an amusing little one..you ask a question we answer, you seem to keep changing the parameters..then throw out a team that

A has not been a power

B apparently shut up a team by losing to them 3 times in a row

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:46 PM
your nerves are the only ones going crazy

I'm perfectly content with starting topics that generate so much interest. What it proves is that spoiled rotten teams throw tantrums when they no longer make everyone else in the state insanely jealous of them. (sigh....)

kepdawg
10-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Can you imagine how bad it had to be for that 1923 Waco team! Score 517 and the only 3 you give up you lose the game!

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm perfectly content with starting topics that generate so much interest. What is proves is that spoiled rotten teams throw tantrums when they no longer make everyone else in the state insanely jealous of them. (sigh....)

name the person that did that

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Can you imagine how bad it had to be for that 1923 Waco team! Score 517 and the only 3 you give up you lose the game!

In 1928, Caldwell won all its games except to Waco, 98-0. An humbling experience, I imagine

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 09:49 PM
In 1928, Caldwell won all its games except to Waco, 98-0. An humbling experience, I imagine

Yea I heard that Caldwell team shut up that Waco team after thay loss

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Yea I heard that Caldwell team shut up that Waco team after thay loss

You are childish
.... mr. "thay"

pirate4state
10-01-2008, 09:52 PM

Txbroadcaster
You are childish

am I now?

I have simply been waiting for the answer..you cannot just simply say I was wrong I thought D-Field has beat Tatum..then it would have been over

So YOU for not being able to admit made a mistake are childish my good sir

Txbroadcaster
You are childish
.... mr. "thay"

OMG I made a grammer boo boo what shall I do

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:53 PM
am I now?

I have simply been waiting for the answer..you cannot just simply say I was wrong I thought D-Field has beat Tatum..then it would have been over

So YOU for not being able to admit made a mistake are childish my good sir

They shut up Tatum after the state title when Tatum was overconfident that D'field's days were behind them.... and got fooled.

How is Tatum this year, anyway? :thinking:

Old Tiger
10-01-2008, 09:54 PM
am I now?

So YOU for not being able to admit made a mistake are childish my good sir http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii18/hotgarbage101/oh_snap.gif

nunya
OMG I made a grammer boo boo what shall I do

sign off, if you had a life!

Good night!

Txbroadcaster
They shut up Tatum after the state title when Tatum was overconfident that D'field's days were behind them.... and got fooled.

How is Tatum this year, anyway? :thinking:

uhh ok made no sense

and I have no clue how Tatum is..I think they are 2-2

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 09:55 PM
sign off, if you had a life!

Good night!

yea it is late...go get in ur jammys and have ur warm milk..your bedtime story tonight will be

How D-Field shut up teams they lost to

nunya
10-01-2008, 09:58 PM
yea it is late...go get in ur jammys and have ur warm milk..your bedtime story tonight will be

How D-Field shut up teams they lost to

You're to be pitied, and if you're honestly a "broadcaster," where in Sam Hill did you get your license?

This started off as a trivial topic and you've turned it into some stupid grudge match about one lousy comment about two teams that few give a damn about. CHILL

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 10:00 PM
You're to be pitied, and if you're honestly a "broadcaster," where in Sam Hill did you get your license?

This started off as a trivial topic and you've turned it into some stupid grudge match about one lousy comment about two teams that few give a damn about. CHILL

Actually..you dont get a "license" to broadcast, I have a college degree

You made a statement, I asked you about it..then you proceed to dance around the question. There is NO grudge here, I just was asking for clarification, and you would not give it to me..so I had some fun..if u cannot take the fun I am sorry

kepdawg
10-01-2008, 10:01 PM

Dang! Nunya! No reason to get your panties in a wad!

Old Tiger
10-01-2008, 10:01 PM
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa179/segite/ANGRY%20PISSED%20OFF/marvin_the_martian.jpg

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 10:02 PM
It is ok all

I will be calling the Federal Bureau of broadcasting Liscence tomorrw..glad I was informed

kepdawg
10-01-2008, 10:03 PM
It is ok all

I will be calling the Federal Bureau of broadcasting Liscence tomorrw..glad I was informed

Good! I was going to turn you in!

You better make sure all your buddies have the right paperwork also!

G2 can't use his nacho napkins!

nunya
10-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Actually..you dont get a "license" to broadcast, I have a college degree

You made a statement, I asked you about it..then you proceed to dance around the question. There is NO grudge here, I just was asking for clarification, and you would not give it to me..so I had some fun..if u cannot take the fun I am sorry

I didn't respond because, well, I didn't care about it that much but the fact is D'field has bounced back from obscurity to upset some modern-day powerhouses, which Tatum ranks among with two recent state titles.

Can we PLEASE let this rest. It's pointless. Of all the teams I mentioned, I care the least about those two..... so sue me.

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 10:05 PM
I didn't respond because, well, I didn't care about it that much but the fact is D'field has bounced back from obscurity to upset some modern-day powerhouses, which Tatum ranks among with two recent state titles.

Can we PLEASE let this rest. It's pointless. Of all the teams I mentioned, I care the least about those two..... so sue me.

THEY HAVE NOT BEAT TATUM..THEY LOST THREE TIMES IN LAST TWO YEARS!

Are youi not understanding that?

They have beat ONE team..ONE that is a powerhouse

D-Field is good, not yet great

LH Panther Mom
http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif

kepdawg

Tatum doesn't fit your rules for powerhouse!

nunya
10-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Tatum doesn't fit your rules for powerhouse!

If it stays on its current coarse, it will be, but I'll let our brilliant broadcaster address East Texas football since he's the only one on here with a functioning brain.

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 10:13 PM
If it stays on its current coarse, it will be, but I'll let our brilliant broadcaster address East Texas football since he's the only one on here with a functioning brain.

why attack me when what you stated made no sense so I asked for clarification? That was all I was wanting, yet you would not clarify

nunya
10-01-2008, 10:18 PM
why attack me when what you stated made no sense so I asked for clarification? That was all I was wanting, yet you would not clarify

Me attack you?!?!?!?!?!?!

:hijacktd:

... and don't send me another PM saying this is all in fun. Say that publicly or keep your trap shut.

nunya
10-01-2008, 10:19 PM
I digress......

NastySlot
10-01-2008, 10:19 PM
what about Judson...they win consistantly.....in my life time I have always respected and enjoyed watching the Plano high teams......seems like that they win a title at least once in every decade....even after opening up PESH...................also seem like Southlake has been winning since they were 2A.

One more thing about Plano I really like and respect...they haven't changed much of that uniform since the 70's............tradition..............any old timers remember "Cat Scratch Fever"

nunya
10-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
what about Judson...they win consistantly.....in my life time I have always respected and enjoyed watching the Plano high teams......seems like that they win a title at least once in every decade....even after opening up PESH...................also seem like Southlake has been winning since they were 2A.

Now I admit I overlooked that one...

Definitely a powerhouse!

and Smithson Valley is getting there.

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Me attack you?!?!?!?!?!?!

:hijacktd:

... and don't send me another PM saying this is all in fun. Say that publicly or keep your trap shut.

uhh I did say it on this thread

here is what I said

There is NO grudge here, I just was asking for clarification, and you would not give it to me..so I had some fun..if u cannot take the fun I am sorry

nunya
10-01-2008, 10:23 PM
uhh I did say it on this thread

here is what I said

There is NO grudge here, I just was asking for clarification, and you would not give it to me..so I had some fun..if u cannot take the fun I am sorry

Ok, fine. And for the record, I watched Tatum beat Hutto and have ties to Tatum. Actually covered the game.

Txbroadcaster
10-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Ok, fine. And for the record, I watched Tatum beat Hutto and have ties to Tatum. Actually covered the game.

and for the record, I have NO ties to Tatum, I broadcast a couple of their games 4 years ago..but it was not about having ties to Tatum

waterboy
10-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Would you chil'ens settle down!:tisk: I think we've all made comments on here that we wished we could retract. I'm pretty bad about doing that, too.:D

Correct me if I'm wrong WO-S, but I believe it was 1929 when Gilmer beat Henderson 101-0. I still don't think that's a record. The Buckeyes had some really good teams back then in the '20s, '30s, & 40's. In 1941, they could only go as far as the regional finals and the Buckeyes finished 12-0, scored 369 points while giving up only 6, after the bench was emptied. I think some kind of war broke out that year.:thinking: In 1942, they only played six games, went 6-0 and outscored opponents 193-7.

Hey, I know I'm grasping straws......but......:D

MN95
10-02-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm with TX Broadcaster on this one. Nunya made a statement that made no sense, and has spent this whole thread avoiding admitting he was wrong.

One other thing, as a Celina parent and fan, I recognize Nunya and many of his previous posts as being one of the people who absolutely revels in bringing down Celina. I am sure he has been giddy after each of our two losses this year. So, it is no surprise that his original post didn't include Celina as a "powerhouse". Then, after WOS post statistics for the last 7 years and Celina is 1 or 2 in each year, he responds by saying "OK, SLC is a powerhouse". Just can't make himself say anything positive about us. Laughable.........

no political comments~p4s

nunya
10-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by MN95
I'm with TX Broadcaster on this one. Nunya made a statement that made no sense, and has spent this whole thread avoiding admitting he was wrong.

One other thing, as a Celina parent and fan, I recognize Nunya and many of his previous posts as being one of the people who absolutely revels in bringing down Celina. I am sure he has been giddy after each of our two losses this year. So, it is no surprise that his original post didn't include Celina as a "powerhouse". Then, after WOS post statistics for the last 7 years and Celina is 1 or 2 in each year, he responds by saying "OK, SLC is a powerhouse". Just can't make himself say anything positive about us. Laughable.........

no political comments~p4s

Celina.. Where's Celina? :-) Anyway, that discussion was so 12 hours ago.

WOS87
10-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

4 of the highest point totals of all-time are listed on the Waco history on the 2nd page of this thread....

MOST POINTS GAME-ALL-TIME
(Team with record is listed first)
1. 186-Spur vs. Lorenzo, 1930
2. 184-Roby vs. Aspermont, 1925
3. 155-Memphis vs. Roaring Springs, 1925
4. 145-Graham vs. Bellvue, 1930
5. 144-Roby vs. Aspermont, 1927
6. 142-Mexia vs. Coolidge, 1931
7. 142-Spur vs. Estelline, 1930
8. 138-Waco vs. Mexia, 1921
9. 132-Brownwood vs. Goldthwaite, 1915
10. 131-Waco vs. Bartlett, 1915
11. 130-Silsbee vs. Woodville, 1923
12. 128-Highland Park vs. Cooper, 1927
13. 128-Waco vs. McGregor, 1923
14. 127-Orange vs. Nederland, 1925
15. 124-Waco vs. Houston Jeff Davis, 1927

Ranger Mom
10-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Some team in East Texas won 99-0 moons ago, I think.... Deweyville or their opponent, I think

The reason I asked that is because I noticed on that Waco spreadsheet WOS87 provided...they scored 138 points on Mexia in 1921. There were several 100+ games in the early 20's.

I was just wondering if 138 was the record or if there was another team with more!!

Ranger Mom
10-02-2008, 10:21 AM
4 of the highest point totals of all-time are listed on the Waco history on the 2nd page of this thread....

MOST POINTS GAME-ALL-TIME
(Team with record is listed first)
1. 186-Spur vs. Lorenzo, 1930
2. 184-Roby vs. Aspermont, 1925
3. 155-Memphis vs. Roaring Springs, 1925
4. 145-Graham vs. Bellvue, 1930
5. 144-Roby vs. Aspermont, 1927
6. 142-Mexia vs. Coolidge, 1931
7. 142-Spur vs. Estelline, 1930
8. 138-Waco vs. Mexia, 1921
9. 132-Brownwood vs. Goldthwaite, 1915
10. 131-Waco vs. Bartlett, 1915
11. 130-Silsbee vs. Woodville, 1923
12. 128-Highland Park vs. Cooper, 1927
13. 128-Waco vs. McGregor, 1923
14. 127-Orange vs. Nederland, 1925
15. 124-Waco vs. Houston Jeff Davis, 1927

LOL!! I was just "re-addressing" my question!! Thanks!!!

MN95
10-02-2008, 10:48 AM
Celina.. Where's Celina? :-) Anyway, that discussion was so 12 hours ago.

Not sure what discussion was "so 12 hours ago", but this particular thread I thought was on powerhouses. Whatever your opinions on Celina might be, if you are having an open and honest discussion about powerhouses, you should probably include Celina if you want any credibility.

DaHop72
10-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by MN95
if you want any credibility. I think if he had any he lost it on this thread as many times as he changed the "rules".

Panther Dad X 2
10-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Any Powerehouse would have to look at the C5 Pride. Calallen Wildcats. Can't get the big one but have been in the hunt since 1984.

Pudlugger
10-02-2008, 12:04 PM
From 1999-2003 the La Grange Leopards went to state twice winning once and to the third round twice. They had a 16-4 playoff record. This was the Valastro era and La Grange was considered a powerhouse.

The Leps will return to that status beginning this season with the Walker era.

nobogey72
10-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Powerhouses IMO are Celina, Southlake Carroll, Liberty Hill, Sealy, Brownwood, Stephenville, La Marque, MOJO, WO-S, and Waco all during their respective times.

You left out Abilene High School. Voted as the Team of the Century by the Dallas Morning News.:mad:

Sweetwater Red
10-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
You left out Abilene High School. Voted as the Team of the Century by the Dallas Morning News.:mad:

Man, talk about overrated.:rolleyes:

Especially the years they had Whit and Tick playing there.:devil: :D

RattlerDude
10-02-2008, 02:18 PM
WO-S 42
Fitzhenry 21 And the year after it was Fitzhenry 21 WO-S 13. it doesn't matter he matured and the team got better. But anyways Giddings doesn't even come close to a powerhouse. Fitz's junior year was one of their few great years

RattlerDude
10-02-2008, 02:27 PM
There are many different connotations for "powerhouse." there are the single season powerhouses like Giddings 06-07 and then there are the powerhouses over a few years of time like Celina, Gilmer, Cuero maybe, WO-S, and many other schools who have constant success.

I used to (and actually still do) consider Bellville a powerhouse because of their ability to always put a very good team on the field. Now before you all start freaking out, I don't hold them nearly as high as I would Celina, Gilmer, or Liberty Hill due to the lack of state titles or major playoff depth, but we have been playing Bellville for awhile and not one of their teams has ever been even close to sucky.

charlesrixey
10-02-2008, 02:53 PM
'Powerhouse' is for mutiple seasons, not one

district titles, deep playoff runs and most often title game appearances are the necessary pieces to be a powerhouse, even if you don't win titles

if a team is consistently #1 in their district and a perennial 3-4 round playoff team that is in the top 2 or 3 in their region for a period of 3+ years, then they can begin to be called a powerhouse

if your success doesn't have continuity after 3 years (when an entirely new class turns over) then you are probably not stable enough to be called a powerhouse

trojan37
10-02-2008, 03:08 PM
What about GP North Shore. I don't know about their playoff record, but the 72 game regular season winning streak is pretty awesome.

nunya
10-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Damn, do we get bonus post points for the volume of posts one trivial subject draws?

This is ridiculous. I brought it up when I was bored for five minutes and look at this.

kepdawg
10-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Damn, do we get bonus post points for the volume of posts one trivial subject draws?

This is ridiculous. I brought it up when I was bored for five minutes and look at this.

When people say something stupid 3ADL rallies together to make sure they know it!

trojan37
10-02-2008, 04:26 PM

Were you not asking for people's opinions on this thread? Touchy, touchy.

Ranger Mom
10-02-2008, 04:52 PM
When people say something stupid 3ADL rallies together to make sure they know it!

That made me laugh!:p

WOS87
10-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
What about GP North Shore. I don't know about their playoff record, but the 72 game regular season winning streak is pretty awesome.

North Shore only recently moved into "powerhouse" territory... from 1963 (the year the school opened) to 1993 they put together a 117-184-9 record (39% winning percentage) with a grand total of zero playoff appearances.

WOS87
10-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Reminds me of my post looking at which threads that I started which garnered the most replies. It's never the ones you would think it would be.

popcorn screen
10-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Here is an impromptu list:

5A - Northshore, Katy, Judson, SLC, Permian...a few more
4A - Stephenville,
3A - LH, Celina,
2A - Cisco,

...I am sure there are more, watching the debate

Snydertigersrul
10-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Any district with SNYDER, SWEETWATER AND WYLIE

garciap77
10-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Any district with SNYDER, SWEETWATER AND WYLIE

Hey! What about Brownwood?

:)

Snydertigersrul
10-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Hey! What about Brownwood?

:) .

WHAT ABOUT BROWNWOOD??????

garciap77
10-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul

WHAT ABOUT BROWNWOOD??????

Aren't they a powerhouse?

Stownhorse
10-03-2008, 02:29 AM

Wow Brownwood? good thing his honest opinions arent gunna be around anymore.