PDA

View Full Version : District Championships

kepdawg
10-01-2008, 08:24 PM
How important are they?

It seems to me that having two divisions diminishes the importance.

LH Panther Mom
10-01-2008, 08:30 PM
Bragging rights! :D

And seeding....

kepdawg
10-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Bragging rights! :D

And seeding....

Bragging rights yes, but often because of the divisional system it has no bearing on seeding.

Rabid Cougar
10-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Bragging rights yes, but often because of the divisional system it has no bearing on seeding.
It does if your the second place team in Division II and your first playoff game is against Liberty HIll.

kepdawg
10-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
It does if your the second place team in Division II and your first playoff game is against Liberty HIll.

The district championship wouldn't necessarily be in play in this case. If the district champ goes D1 it really means nothing for seeding.

Old Dog
10-01-2008, 09:47 PM
District championships ain't what they once were! Sorry, but it's a fact. Tops in district should have more meaning than it does now days. Sometimes progress sucks................................

kepdawg
10-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
District championships ain't what they once were! Sorry, but it's a fact. Tops in district should have more meaning than it does now days. Sometimes progress sucks................................

Not like back in the day when one loss, or even a just a tie or two could keep you out of the playoffs!

Rocket
10-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
How important are they?

It seems to me that having two divisions diminishes the importance.

You are dead on. They are worthless. It is nothing but an extra Golden Football. Bragging rights aren't worth much nowadays because of the 2 Divisions and now 4 Teams going to the playoffs in 5A.

JR2004
10-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
You are dead on. They are worthless. It is nothing but an extra Golden Football. Bragging rights aren't worth much nowadays because of the 2 Divisions and now 4 Teams going to the playoffs in 5A.

Well in DISD our teams often go only 2 or 3 rounds in football so they have worth for our football teams. Now basketball is another story. District championships are pretty much worthless because of all the success of DISD basketball teams over the years down in Austin.

orange machine
10-02-2008, 12:35 AM
If you win your district you should be able to play the 1st round where ever you choose and get to pick home or away at that game. Or even get to play at your stadium, but thats not as fun getting to the playoffs is fun because you get to go play at bigger better stadiums.

WTF-82
10-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Its very important everyones overall goal is a state title. But you play all season to reach goals and this is a team top goal coming in to a season to get that first gold football. Teams that reach this goal go into playoffs with great confidence and swagger looking for more gold ones in the playoffs in trying to reach the overall goal of a state title.

District title is also such a big bragging right. Its the Championship Football in youre District. Let me tell you something Championships is one of this biggest reasons we compete or teach to compete. Specially against teams and athletes you been playing against since 7th grade. As a young one learning this is very important setting goals for a quest to a district title beyond state???

WTF-82
10-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Rocket

I totally disagree you are talking like a fan not a coach or player.

trojan37
10-02-2008, 01:24 AM
I would have to say district championships are worthless. Take 17-3A last year for instance. La Vega rolled through that district taking the title with ease and the coveted "district championship." But we all remember what happened in the playoffs when they had a rematch with district foe China Spring. District title don't mean squat.

WTF-82
10-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
I would have to say district championships are worthless. Take 17-3A last year for instance. La Vega rolled through that district taking the title with ease and the coveted "district championship." But we all remember what happened in the playoffs when they had a rematch with district foe China Spring. District title don't mean squat.

But consider the playoffs as a second season you still gotta play as good or better in the playoffs. I agree I would rather win in the playoffs. But it does mean something to those kids. Looks to me like China "Spring learned a lot from district play and was able to win in the playoffs. You dont line up and play everyweek to lose district games you line up to get better learn and compete with high intensity every week. And hope it carries over to the playoffs.

trojan37
10-02-2008, 01:37 AM
I'm just saying now, with 3 teams going, get in and take it from there. Look where China Spring ended up last year, in the title game, without a district title to their credit. Sure, that's what all teams want but you can still get to the ultimate goal without one. Back in the 70's it meant something, when the district champ, and ONLY the district champ went to the playoffs.

Rocket
10-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by ***-82
I totally disagree you are talking like a fan not a coach or player.

You are right. They are worth something for the coaches and players. I know it would mean alot more if only one team went to the playoffs. You see if a team doesn't win a District Championship, the coach's, players, and fans say oh well, we still have the playoffs. That is my point. It is nice to win, but not a necessity. This is what 2 Divisions has done to the District Championship.