PDA

View Full Version : THE Jonas Brother

kepdawg
10-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Girls: Dallas blues artist Joe Jonas isn't that Joe Jonas

02:43 PM CDT on Wednesday, October 1, 2008

By THOR CHRISTENSEN / The Dallas Morning News
tchristensen@dallasnews.com

Dallas musician Joe Jonas has a new reason to sing the blues, and its name is Joe Jonas.

Ever since the Jonas Brothers shot to boy-band superstardom, pubescent girls have been confusing the 71-year-old blues singer with the dreamy 18-year-old idol.

"It's irritating, because I'm the real Joe Jonas," he says. "I've been out here way before he was born."

The problems started last year when young girls began leaving messages and photos of themselves on Mr. Jonas' MySpace page. So many teen Jonasites visited the page that MySpace eventually had to shut it down. Things only got worse in June when Joe, Nick and Kevin Jonas bought a $2.8 million home in suburban Westlake: Suddenly, excited girls were leaving messages on Mr. Jonas' home answering machine – a puzzling development, since his number is unlisted.

"People say, 'You have to change your phone number.' But I'm not changing it. I've had it for 30 years and if I change it, I'll be the loser," he says.

Teenage girls have even starting showing up at his gigs. At a recent show in Cedar Hill, a man approached him with young daughters in tow to ask what time the Jonas Brothers would be arriving.

"I told him 'I am the Jonas brother. Not the Jonas Brothers.'"

The episode gives comic new meaning to the old blues standard "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl." But the Big D bluesman isn't laughing. He says if he ever meets his teenage namesake, "I'll tell him 'You have caused me a lot of problems.'"

Dallas blues historian and KNON DJ Don Ottensman dubs the mix-up "just plain strange. ... I don't know if Joe's written one yet, but there's got to be a blues song in all of this."

PLAN YOUR LIFE: The Joe Jonas Band performs at 7:30 Thursday at Dallas Arboretum's Cool Thursdays, 8525 Garland Road. Gates open at 6 p.m. $7 to $16, with discounts for members. 214-515-6521. www.dallasarboretum.org.