PDA

View Full Version : Bryan Rudder at Caldwell (curiosities)

nunya
09-30-2008, 10:42 PM
It'll be interesting to see if Caldwell coaches use starters for much (or any) of the game against Rudder this Friday. With it being homecoming (SMART MOVE for a change), I imagine starters will play the first quarter or two before reserves are put in.

I'm predicting a 31-0 halftime lead and a 38-7 game with reserves getting yet even MORE experience in second half.

One thing about it, coach Williams is using good strategy to build big leads before allowing subs to gain experience, but they can't do that against the rest of their opponents. It will be a lot of dogfights and trick plays by each team after this week.

Taylor is going to shock a team or two, and if Whaley returns for Madisonville, they'll be on a rampage to salvage respect.

King_LeYoeNidas
09-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by nunya
It'll be interesting to see if Caldwell coaches use starters for much (or any) of the game against Rudder this Friday. With it being homecoming (SMART MOVE for a change), I imagine starters will play the first quarter or two before reserves are put in.

I'm predicting a 31-0 halftime lead and a 38-7 game with reserves getting yet even MORE experience in second half.

One thing about it, coach Williams is using good strategy to build big leads before allowing subs to gain experience, but they can't do that against the rest of their opponents. It will be a lot of dogfights and trick plays by each team after this week.

Taylor is going to shock a team or two, and if Whaley returns for Madisonville, they'll be on a rampage to salvage respect.

yeah 'cause you know....who does that? :rolleyes:

ctownlegend
10-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Come on now...we all know that the starters wont come out until AT LEAST...the VERY LEAST halftime...I seriously doubt a coach would risk keeping his team on a roll because they are playing a team that is thought of as not being equal in talent and skills. Hmm..i think that would be called...asking for an upset...

bigYoe
10-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Thats like saying Texas was gonna start all 2nd stringers agains Florida Atlantic. It may be possible but just DUMB. I doubt youre coach will put subs in before Half.

nunya
10-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by ctownlegend
Come on now...we all know that the starters wont come out until AT LEAST...the VERY LEAST halftime...I seriously doubt a coach would risk keeping his team on a roll because they are playing a team that is thought of as not being equal in talent and skills. Hmm..i think that would be called...asking for an upset...

hey, I've witnesses this happen a few times in recent years. My only concern is that starters get used to playing an entire game because in the past four three games, reserves played a good portion of the final quarter. Against superior teams, you can't afford to have your go-to players wear out in the middle of the third quarter simply because they're not accustomed to HAVE to play an entire game.

nunya
10-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Anyway, Cameron faithful, worry more about whether Whaley is back on Friday because when he does touch the ball, chalk it up to a first down or more.

87 TIGER
10-01-2008, 08:21 AM
We have Whaley this week and your right he looks pretty good when he is in the open field. I was surprised at how lazy he looked in blocking or in play action. Still a force to be reconed with. I saw the game film but I diddnt see what happened to Whaley, was he hurt? In the 3rd quarter he wasnt in the backfield. Oh and Caldwell wins big, but the starters stay in until 3rd quarter, and some will still be in until they take a knee in the 4th.

nunya
10-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Yea, I just noticed where M'ville plays Rockdale this week. If Whaley is out, you should win by at least a couple TD's. If not, it's hard to say since we didn't see him an entire game. When he did touch the ball, though, his Division I ability was quite obvious.

bigYoe
10-01-2008, 09:01 AM
We play Taylor this week, but when we do play Madisonville im sure coaches will have the players ready and up to date.

King_LeYoeNidas
10-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Anyway, Cameron faithful, worry more about whether Whaley is back on Friday because when he does touch the ball, chalk it up to a first down or more.

yes because playing and beating a team when they aren't at full stregnth is what any legit team should strive for.

Weren't you saying not too long ago how the Hornets would be 1-9 "at best" and now you're all jock ridin how great they are? See sig.

JR2004
10-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by bigYoe
Thats like saying Texas was gonna start all 2nd stringers agains Florida Atlantic. It may be possible but just DUMB. I doubt youre coach will put subs in before Half.

I saw Gatesville do this years ago in a homecoming game against West back in 2000. Taurean Henderson was done after the first quarter and so were many of his teammates had a 35-0 lead in the first 13 minutes of the game.

At Madison we did this two years ago against Diamond Hill-Jarvis. We let the varsity players play the first and third quarter and whatever JV and freshmen we moved up for the game filled in and played the 2nd and 4th quarters.

nunya
10-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
yes because playing and beating a team when they aren't at full stregnth is what any legit team should strive for.

Weren't you saying not too long ago how the Hornets would be 1-9 "at best" and now you're all jock ridin how great they are? See sig.

When teams make drastic improvements, they earn respect and a larger fan base. I still say the team wasn't prepared enough for Bellville but they made the necessary changes (kudos to them), they became a contender. I wouldn't say that a 1-8 or 2-7 comment was unfounded based on the first game. There were tons of mistakes, but the team has responded to them.

I'm just sayin.....

ctownlegend
10-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Im afraid Cameron plays Madisonville two weeks from friday, not this friday. I'm sure their worried about Taylor right now, and i'm pretty sure Cameron will plan for Whaley being back for their two weeks of preparation they have...seeing as they have a bye next week...

nunya
10-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by ctownlegend
Im afraid Cameron plays Madisonville two weeks from friday, not this friday. I'm sure their worried about Taylor right now, and i'm pretty sure Cameron will plan for Whaley being back for their two weeks of preparation they have...seeing as they have a bye next week...

I wouldn't be altogether surprised if there's a 3-way tie for the 24-3A title.

King_LeYoeNidas
10-01-2008, 02:10 PM
I wouldn't be altogether surprised if there's a 3-way tie for the 24-3A title.

maybe for third place.

nunya
10-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by King_LeYoeNidas
maybe for third place.

No, I mean for the title, but we all have opinions.

bigYoe
10-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Well we do have more than one excellent team in district but i dont see a 3 way tie for district champs. I do see Navasota probably taking it going D1 with Caldwell and obviously Cameron(480 enrollment) going D2. not to offend, i meant that obviously cameron would go D2 IF they make the playoffs because of small enrollment. we have schools in our district with twice our enrollment, yet we still have enough players to have 22 starters. Rich tradition of High school football.

ctownlegend
10-01-2008, 03:00 PM
No, I mean for the title, but we all have opinions.
Who would you say the three teams are? I could see either one of Cameron, Caldwell, or Navasota running the table this year, but everything would have to fall in their favor.

Global Swarming
10-01-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm not a firm believer in running up the score on anyone. But, probably more than any other year. You have to score as many points as you can because it may come down to point differential to see who goes to the playoffs. Our second teamers cost us 16 points against Madisonville. The two fumbles deep in our own territory didn't didn't help matters any. I do feel for Rudder, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get into the playoffs. This district is stacked and 5 teams have a legitimate shot at making it and you're going to have to take advantage of every opportunity you have. Last year was different because it was pretty obvious who was going to make it based on talent but this year is unique.

nunya
10-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
I'm not a firm believer in running up the score on anyone. But, probably more than any other year. You have to score as many points as you can because it may come down to point differential to see who goes to the playoffs. Our second teamers cost us 16 points against Madisonville. The two fumbles deep in our own territory didn't didn't help matters any. I do feel for Rudder, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get into the playoffs. This district is stacked and 5 teams have a legitimate shot at making it and you're going to have to take advantage of every opportunity you have. Last year was different because it was pretty obvious who was going to make it based on talent but this year is unique.

Total agreement.

nunya
10-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Doesn't the UIL point spread system stop beyond 18 point differences, though? Curious.

ProudHornetMom
10-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by 87 TIGER
We have Whaley this week and your right he looks pretty good when he is in the open field. I was surprised at how lazy he looked in blocking or in play action. Still a force to be reconed with. I saw the game film but I diddnt see what happened to Whaley, was he hurt? In the 3rd quarter he wasnt in the backfield. Oh and Caldwell wins big, but the starters stay in until 3rd quarter, and some will still be in until they take a knee in the 4th.

On film, it looked like Whaley got bumped in the thigh on a play. He went out, would limp some, visit along the stands, run some and then limp some more.

nunya
10-02-2008, 07:20 AM
If Whaley bounces back to play to his capability, M'ville may end up helping Caldwell ruin a few others' records here and there. :-)

Global Swarming
10-02-2008, 08:00 AM
I hope that Whaley is at full speed also. But, based on what I saw last Friday night, I just wasn't impressed with Madisonville. They couldn't pass and after Whaley went out they just couldn't get anything going. He is basically their whole offense. I hope that they can find somewhat of a passing game to help out their offense.

nunya
10-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
I hope that Whaley is at full speed also. But, based on what I saw last Friday night, I just wasn't impressed with Madisonville. They couldn't pass and after Whaley went out they just couldn't get anything going. He is basically their whole offense. I hope that they can find somewhat of a passing game to help out their offense.

yea, it reminds me of Stone's junior year in the 90's when the team appeared great with him outscoring opponents by 20 or more, and when he got injured before the last game vs. Elgin, the team lost 32-7 and missed post-season.

One horse does not a team make.

bigYoe
10-02-2008, 10:06 AM
yea, it reminds me of Stone's junior year in the 90's when the team appeared great with him outscoring opponents by 20 or more, and when he got injured before the last game vs. Elgin, the team lost 32-7 and missed post-season.

One horse does not a team make.

Am i looking at this right? ONE HORSE DOES NOT A TEAM MAKE? I know what ya meant man im just playin. You're right though i heard all kind of stuff bout madisonville in the preseason because of their stud RB but their record doesnt impress. If they have a bad season i hope that doesnt hurt his recruiting oppurtunities.

nunya
10-02-2008, 10:29 AM
M'ville's fans were pretty disgusted. I can tell you that. Our second-teamers helped prevent them from their worst-ever homecoming loss, according to one fan.