PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 by the Old Cardinal

Old Cardinal
09-15-2002, 03:01 PM
#1,#2,#3, three way tie Jasper, Sinton, Everman, #4 Newton, #5 Bridge City, #6 Bridgeport, #7 Perryton, #8 Bellville, #9 Wills Point, #10 Burnet, #11 Gilmer, #12 TX-ARK Pleasant Grove #13 Graham # 14 Wylie, #15 Hamshire-Fannett, #16 Decatur #17 Gainesville # 18 Wilmer-Hutchins, # 19 Celina, # 20 Spring Hill& Edna & Splendora (tie). I know some of the "darlings" have not been listed, that's because they have been upset already.

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited September 15, 2002).]

eye of the tiger
09-15-2002, 04:41 PM
Old Card you left out my darlings. Im crushed. LOL.

Owen B
09-15-2002, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't mind the darling Tigers being off everyone's screens until the playoffs but I don't think I'd call a 1 point loss to a good 4A Wylie team (not 3A Abilene Wylie) an upset, especially since most folks picked Wylie to win (Collier-Sharp picked them by 7).

ElMeroMero
09-15-2002, 05:43 PM
So is Celina fo real. Can they make some noise come playoff time.

Old Green
09-15-2002, 05:44 PM
Glad to see you include Edna in your top 20 Old Cardinal. I predicted back in April that the Cowboys would be good.

Old Cardinal
09-15-2002, 05:46 PM
Owen, I can understand your frustration; however, I don't see 4A Wylie as a powerhouse, if I remember right they have not played in any playoff game, since the mid 1980s. Sorry, but I kind of favor big enrollment schools like Pecos, Elgin, and say Canyon, to be better than a lot of smaller Division II schools. When they meet, the bigger ones win, all too many times. I certainly don't mind folks seeing it different, Goodness knows, I predicted a lot of the Region II small schools to fall early in the year-look back at the dialogue between Matt and I- arguing about Region II at the first of this season.

hornet03
09-15-2002, 05:53 PM
Can somebody post Celinas schedule? Im curious to see if anyone has a chance of beating them before the playoffs start. God, I hope someone ends that freakin streak. Im jealous and it makes me sick.

Old Cardinal
09-15-2002, 05:58 PM
Old Green, Yes you have been uncannyly predictable on Region IV. Edna, and Sweeny are my picks to represent that district in Div. II. What I understand, they are build- ing strength and stamina via cross-country and distant running, plus a good weight and calicentic program. I hope them well!

eye of the tiger
09-15-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by hornet03:
Can somebody post Celinas schedule? Im curious to see if anyone has a chance of beating them before the playoffs start. God, I hope someone ends that freakin streak. Im jealous and it makes me sick.

09 CELINA
AUG 30 DE LEON HEB 7:30
SEP 13 SANGER H 7:30
SEP 20 PINKSTON A 7:30
SEP 27 LAKE DALLAS H 7:30
OCT 04 LITTLE ELM A 7:30
OCT 11 *POTTSBORO H 7:30
OCT 18 *PILOT POINT A 7:30
OCT 25 *GAINESVILLE H 7:30
NOV 01 *VAN ALSTYNE H 7:30
NOV 08 *WHITESBORO A 7:30

I think like most people I have talked to, it is between Celina and Gainsville for district 9 title. I think Pilot Point will be the other playoff team.

Owen B
09-15-2002, 06:21 PM
No frustration here, Old Card. I have about the same feeling right now as I did after Commerce lost to Forney in week 9 last year. That was the first game last year in which Commerce looked like a contender. I wasn't too impressed with the Tigers showing against Pinkston but they impressed me Friday night. I think they'll do very well this year. They may turn out to be better than last year's team.

eye of the tiger
09-15-2002, 06:28 PM
I agree owen. We are not through yet.

Old Cardinal
09-15-2002, 08:39 PM
I was just looking at how I ranked them by Regions, here are those results for the 23 teams mentioned- Region I 5, Region II 7, Region III 6, and Region IV 4. My darkhorses out of this bunch are Perryton and TXARK Pleasant Grove.

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited September 15, 2002).]

Matthew328
09-15-2002, 09:01 PM
I totally agree with you on Perryton...they are 2-0 with a win over a very good Pampa squad who beat 5A Amarillo High this week...Perryton moving into D2 also helps them out a TON...Pleasant Grove I am not sure about....they are 2-1 but 12-3A is such a tough district...PG seems to have trouble with speed teams and with Atlanta and Daingerfield in that district PG could have problems...also keep an eye on New Boston out of that district...they are 2-0 and have a stud tailback that is a bona-fide D-1 prospect..also I wonder about Abilene Wylie..they got beat pretty good by Aledo 27-7...Aledo is a good team but it looks like Wylie is a tad bit down...I guess Forney losing to Aledo 13-6 doesn't look nearly as bad now...LOL

Old Cardinal
09-16-2002, 11:49 AM
Matt, I kind of think that both Snyder and A. Wylie have the potential to get tougher toward Post season. Yes Perryton, will be hard to beat in Division II. Last year, by the time they played Everman they were a bunch of cripples. In Division II, however; they will have a degree of depth to sustain those playoff inevidible injuries, that slow so many smaller teams down that are not multi-dimensional. Pleasent Grove, plays good folks that are not in TX UIL. I think they are "sandbagging", and will assert themselves come district time.

Old Cardinal
09-17-2002, 08:47 PM
I have been looking at some potential upsets across the state for this weekend...Do you have a gut feeling on some upsets?

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited September 17, 2002).]

mwynn05
09-17-2002, 09:00 PM
that sounds pretty accurate

eye of the tiger
09-17-2002, 09:40 PM
Old Card everytime I see this thread move back up I check just to see if you have moved my darlings back to the top ten. LOL
Good luck to your Cards this week. It is going to be a good match between two good teams.

Old Cardinal
09-17-2002, 10:09 PM
Eye of T.: All the other teams down here avoided playing Newton...they are just so tough! I have a lot of friends that feel, with a new Coach, and a new Offensive & Defensive scheme- that it was not prudent to schedule one of the States very best,until they get their feet on the ground. I am dumb enough to think its great to see two good teams, go at it. The only problem is that BC already has 3 starters sidelined and if they get too many hurt, they might have trouble with Hamshire-Fannett in their first district game the following week. At full strength, I feel, they would blow H-F away, but H-F is a relentless ball control team with a big pushy O-line. On a muddy field they can be mean, just ask Barber's Hill.

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited September 17, 2002).]

eye of the tiger
09-17-2002, 10:17 PM
Old Card I hope those guys arent out for the year. I have seem injuries destroy many a good team. Not only by the loss of the players, but in morale also. Many good games this weekend and if I wasnt going to Commerce v Forney, I think I might just come to the BC v Newton. Good luck