PDA

View Full Version : Alcoa to Curtail Remainder of Rockdale

BURNT ORANGE HORNET 86
09-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Alcoa to Curtail Remainder of Rockdale, TX Smelter Due to Local Power Supply and Market ConditionsSeptember 30, 2008 12:00 PM ET advertisement

Alcoa AA today announced it will curtail the remaining production at its Rockdale, Texas aluminum smelter – comprising approximately 150,000 metric tons of production a year (mtpy) – beginning immediately as a result of uncompetitive power supply to that smelter and overall market conditions. In June, the company idled three of the plant’s six operating potlines representing approximately 120,000 mtpy of production as a result of ongoing local power supply issues.

As a result of the curtailment of the remainder of aluminum smelting in Rockdale, approximately 660 employees will be laid-off in addition to the approximately 160 employees who were impacted earlier. The company will continue to operate its aluminum atomizer in Rockdale as well as its anode operations there, employing a combined 140 people. Lay-offs at the facility will be implemented in a phased process, with the majority of the reductions occurring toward the end of November and in early December. Additionally, Alcoa will adjust alumina production accordingly.

“When we initially curtailed half of our aluminum production in Rockdale,” said John Thuestad, President of Alcoa’s US Primary Products business, “we said it would be extremely challenging to try to be competitive operating only half of the plant. Unfortunately, the cumulative effect of operating only half of the smelter, well-known issues regarding the cost and long-term reliability of the power supply in Rockdale, and current market conditions, has forced us to make this difficult decision.

“The ongoing effort and dedication of our employees and our community are what make this especially difficult,” said Thuestad. “We will look to work with our community and the region to ease the impact and try to return Rockdale to being a globally competitive producer of metal.”
Alcoa will record a third quarter 2008 pre-tax charge of approximately $48 million to cover the costs of the curtailment.

“Following this curtailment of smelting, Alcoa will continue to pay its cost of generation from Sandow Unit 4 and we will attempt to recover that cost by marketing the power in the Texas energy market,” said Thuestad.

Bernt Reitan, Executive Vice President and Group President Alcoa Primary Products, said, “Our re-powering efforts across our global portfolio has gone extremely well – such as our recent MOU in Quebec, covering approximately 25 percent of our output, and elsewhere. We will continue to explore options to secure a competitive long-term power solution that enables profitable operation in Rockdale, just as we have done across the world.”
Alcoa is the world leader in the production and management of primary aluminum, fabricated aluminum and alumina combined, through its active and growing participation in all major aspects of the industry. Alcoa serves the aerospace, automotive, packaging, building and construction, commercial transportation and industrial markets, bringing design, engineering, production and other capabilities of Alcoa's businesses to customers. In addition to aluminum products and components including flat-rolled products, hard alloy extrusions, and forgings, Alcoa also markets Alcoa® wheels, fastening systems, precision and investment castings, and building systems. The Company has 97,000 employees in 34 countries and has been named one of the top most sustainable corporations in the world at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. More information can be found at www.alcoa.com.

Forward-Looking Statements

Certain statements in this release relate to future events and expectations and as such constitute forward-looking statements involving known and unknown risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results of Alcoa to be different from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. Alcoa disclaims any obligation to update publicly any forward-looking statements, whether in response to new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by applicable law. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements include: (a) Alcoa's inability to mitigate impacts from significant increases in energy costs or from interruptions in energy supplies due to equipment failure, energy shortages, inability to extend energy contracts upon expiration or to negotiate new arrangements on cost-effective terms, or other causes; (b) material adverse changes in economic or aluminum industry conditions generally, including global supply and demand conditions and fluctuations in London Metal Exchange-based prices for primary aluminum and other products; (c) material adverse changes in the markets served by Alcoa, including the transportation, building and construction, distribution, packaging, industrial gas turbine and other markets; (d) Alcoa’s inability to mitigate impacts from increases in the cost of raw materials or transportation or other cost inflation, or from unfavorable currency fluctuations; and (e) the other risk factors summarized in Alcoa's Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2007, Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2008 and other reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-30-2008, 12:09 PM
:(

I have a brother who works there....

aggie
09-30-2008, 02:47 PM
that is a sad thing for rockdale...and all of milam county...i know a lot of people who worked there.

Darren
09-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Do you think that Rockdale will drop to 2a or lower since its biggest employer Alcoa is laying off 75% of its employees?

I think that this is somewhat related to Sports talk in Rockdale but if you disagree you may remove the thread.

Old Tiger
09-30-2008, 08:42 PM
It is possible....maybe even 1a.

Darren
09-30-2008, 08:45 PM
I think they say like 700 employees to be laid off. If thats the case you would think that alot of industry/business that sell products/services to Rockdale may be forced to close and or relocate.

I wonder what the total jobs lost will amount to.

Old Tiger
09-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Darren
I think they say like 700 employees to be laid off. If thats the case you would think that alot of industry/business that sell products/services to Rockdale may be forced to close and or relocate.

I wonder what the total jobs lost will amount to. That is just alcoa employees and does not include contractors that worked with alcoa and such

LH Panther Mom
09-30-2008, 08:49 PM
They had 527 last realignment, so depending how many families with kids in school are affected, there could be a significant drop unless there's other employment within reasonable driving distance.

Darren
09-30-2008, 08:50 PM
The entire surrounding area is going to be hurt by this closing.

Rockdale, Milano, Cameron, Giddings, Thorndale, Lexington and I'm sure may others.

nunya
09-30-2008, 08:52 PM
THis exact thought crossed my mind today when I learned of the layoffs. I feel really badly for the families there. Rockdale IS Alcoa. On the other hand, it could inspire the team to work really hard.

I can see it now: Rockdale vs. Thrall. Just doesn't sound right. I'm sure the city council will do anything it can to lure new business. At least it better.

nunya
09-30-2008, 08:53 PM
The entire surrounding area is going to be hurt by this closing.

Rockdale, Milano, Cameron, Giddings, Thorndale, Lexington and I'm sure may others.

It will impact Caldwell about 5 percent, I imagine.

Darren
09-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
They had 527 last realignment, so depending how many families with kids in school are affected, there could be a significant drop unless there's other employment within reasonable driving distance.

I would say that they are probably the biggest employer by as much as 10 times over the second largest employer in Rockdale (just a guess). My best UNEDUCATED guess is that Rockdale and surrounding areas will lose 1500 - 2000 jobs because of this closing.

Old Tiger
09-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by nunya

I can see it now: Rockdale vs. Thrall. Just doesn't sound right. I'm sure the city council will do anything it can to lure new business. At least it better. The city council prevented a lot of businesses from coming in from what I have heard. :( That could have killed us to the effect that it makes this layoff much worse.

Darren
09-30-2008, 08:56 PM
What are the enrollment numbers needed for 3a?

nunya
09-30-2008, 09:16 PM

Not sure, but with Rockdale's luck, Cameron will drop, too, and they'll never be able to escape playing them.

c-town_balla
09-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Cameron is gonna drop anyway...the loss of a few families will only make it go faster.

LH Panther Mom
09-30-2008, 10:01 PM
They vary every time. Maybe around 425-450? I'll have to look.

ctownlegend
09-30-2008, 10:32 PM
I believe it is 433 to somewhere around 1,000. Cameron missed dropping down to 2a by 3 students, and Taylor has one of the largest enrollments in 3a at 943. There are a couple others (Robstown) that have about 960.

This is from a press release earlier today about ALCOA's closing:

"As a result of the curtailment of the remainder of aluminum smelting in Rockdale, approximately 660 employees will be laid-off in addition to the approximately 160 employees who were impacted earlier. The company will continue to operate its aluminum atomizer in Rockdale as well as its anode operations there, employing a combined 140 people. Lay-offs at the facility will be implemented in a phased process, with the majority of the reductions occurring toward the end of November and in early December."

I think its safe to say Cameron will be dropping out of 3a come next alignment. Rockdale's enrollment is at 527...sooo I think thats up to some speculation. Honestly I do not think that this will hurt too badly. Many of these families who are going to be affected by the lay-offs have been in Rockdale or Cameron for years. I think the majority would commute to Bryan, or Temple before uprooting their families.

nunya
09-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Meanwhile, isn't Salado supposed to move up to 3A because of north Austin's growth.

ziggy29
10-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Shame, especially for a small town so dependent on one large employer.

87 TIGER
10-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Biggest employer in the county shutting it's doors with over 1000 employees .Rockdale, Cameron, Thorndale & Milano. all of Milam County how will this affect your community and sports.

Old Tiger
10-01-2008, 04:12 PM
consolidate rockdale/cameron! stay 3a!

Pudlugger
10-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Why are they shutting down?

Old Tiger
10-01-2008, 04:16 PM
the price of aluminum going down
the price of energy going up

perhaps?

nunya
10-01-2008, 05:26 PM
This does not bode well for Rockdale at all. My heart goes out to them. There's going to be a lot of stress in that town for months, if not years, to come. How on earth do you replace an employer of 660 in one town, and more than 1000 overall? Really devastating to an economy.

kepdawg
10-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Why are they shutting down?

Article here (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87116)

nunya
10-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Sign of times. Remember November 4

Pudlugger
10-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Maybe if the Environmental lobby hadn't opposed every coal powered and nuclear power plant in the past 40 years this would not have happened. BTW, you can't make aluminum with wind or solar power. You need mega watts 24/7.

navscanmaster
10-01-2008, 06:09 PM
I work with some laid off employees from the first round they did. They said that there are a lot of employees from Caldwell, Lexington, and especially Taylor, not just Rockdale and Cameron. No doubt they will take a huge hit in Milam county, but if the workforce is as distributed as they say it is, it may not mean total disaster for Rockdale. I hope that area survives somehow.:(

Antec
10-01-2008, 06:50 PM
This happened to Boling in the late 1970s

Boling was a good size 3A school with Texas Gulf Sulphur down the road Newgufl

Now the are medium sized 2A and not many folks actually live in Boling

Most come in a sub division between Boling and Wharton

Hungerford and a few other small commnties

my cousins lived in Newgulf in the 50-70s so i went there to visit a lot

was a good size town with 2 grocery stores
Dariy Cream- two other restaurnats Hardware store

had a hospital and library and Boy Scout house

now its like a ghost town but Newgulf Elementary school is there

but there is a new small development going ion with new houses being built

It will never be the same like Newgulf in the 50-60s but still attracts retired folks

But Boling could be moving down to Class A 10-15 years from now

I dont ever see Wharton and Boling ever consolidating

RattlerDude
10-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Do you think that Rockdale will drop to 2a or lower since its biggest employer Alcoa is laying off 75% of its employees?

I think that this is somewhat related to Sports talk in Rockdale but if you disagree you may remove the thread.
Most likely. this is a super sorry way to lose everything. Its the economy. It is shot to s***

Pudlugger
10-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Maybe if we could have built a few economical coal fueled power plants, or even a nuclear plant like France, and kept electricity costs down, this would have been avoided. Green policies come with a price. :(

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Maybe if we could have built a few economical coal fueled power plants, or even a nuclear plant like France, and kept electricity costs down, this would have been avoided. Green policies come with a price. :(

They were actually offered affordable power from what I was told, they just turned it down and are using it as an excuse.

Old Tiger
10-01-2008, 08:43 PM
http://www.thestreet.com/p/rmoney/investing/10316207.html