PDA

View Full Version : TCM Honoring Paul Newman on October 12, 2008!

Phil C
09-30-2008, 10:49 AM
They are showing 11 of his movies starting that Sunday at 5 A.M. and concluding the following Monday at 5 A.M. These are just 11 of his great movies but they are good ones. Of course some good ones are left out but this is a good opportunity for you to see some of the ones that you may have missed. The movies are The Rack, Until They Sail, Torn Curtain, Exodus, Sweet Bird of Youth, Hud, Somebody Up There Likes Me, Cool Hand Luke, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, {Rachel, Rachel), The Outrage.

They are good movies. Rachel, Rachel is one that stars his wife Joanne Woodward that he doesn't appear in but he did direct it and it received several oscar nominations including best picture.
Somebody Up There Likes me is an autobiography of boxing champion Rocky Graziano and this was made in 1956 and established him as a big star.

Please consult your local tv guides for the times of the movies you want to see or record. Enjoy!

Phil C
10-01-2008, 11:49 AM
An interesting note is that Paul Newman's first movie The Silver Chalice made in 1954 was one he was ashamed of ever being in. I saw it once and I thought it was a fairly good movie but it lacked good direction and script writing. It had the potential to have been much better. After it was made he went back to the stage for a while. Even though critics blasted it they did point out that Paul showed great acting promise. Fortunately he was proud of his next movie which was a hit based on boxer Rocky Graziano's life called "Somebody Up There Likes Me." The great actor James Dean was first choice for the role but unfortunately he died in a tragic accident. Paul was chosen and was outstanding and the movie was a big hit and his career started to take off.

Phil C
10-10-2008, 03:22 PM
ttt

It is on Sunday.

Trashman
10-10-2008, 05:47 PM
My two favorites are Cool Hand Luke and Hud. Hope i get a chance to see the others.