PDA

View Full Version : Why Are So Many Players Losing Helmets?

Bullaholic
09-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Lately, it seems like every game in college and the pros that there is at least 1 instance of a player losing his helmet on a play. What's going on? Players just not securing their helmets as well as they used to, more players just getting their helmets grabbed, or is the hitting just gotten harder?

IHStangFan
09-29-2008, 10:49 AM
LOL...good question Bull...I've been wondering the same thing!!

Rocket
09-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
LOL...good question Bull...I've been wondering the same thing!!

They are not wearing them tight enough. It is almost as if they wish they didn't have to wear them at all. I want to know how much energy is wasted when players such as Brett Favre unbutton and then button their helmet after every play. Ridiculous.

Chillimaru
09-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Usally when u see one come off the player is sporting lots of hair, they have to get a bigger size helmut to accomidate for the hair, then when they get hit it comes off easier.

nobogey72
09-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Rocket
They are not wearing them tight enough. It is almost as if they wish they didn't have to wear them at all. I want to know how much energy is wasted when players such as Brett Favre unbutton and then button their helmet after every play. Ridiculous.

probably about the same amount of energy you used to type this dumb post.:taunt: :taunt:

Sweetwater Red
09-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Lately, it seems like every game in college and the pros that there is at least 1 instance of a player losing his helmet on a play. What's going on? Players just not securing their helmets as well as they used to, more players just getting their helmets grabbed, or is the hitting just gotten harder?

Troy Aikman mentioned this lastnight. He said when he played
his was as tight as could be. This might not have been a good
idea given his 25 concussions.:thinking:

gtownpoke
09-29-2008, 01:16 PM
I am actually an equipment manager at Oklahoma State and we have been talking about this a lot. The biggest reason for it is hard chin straps. The hard chin strap is good for very few players. The soft chin strap fits very well onto the chin and keeps it strapped on better. The hard chin strap can slip up on a players face very easily and when the happens the helmet can come flying off. Next weekend when you are watching games on TV if you see one go flying off look at what kind of chin strap he has.

Stownhorse
09-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Chillimaru
Usally when u see one come off the player is sporting lots of hair, they have to get a bigger size helmut to accomidate for the hair, then when they get hit it comes off easier.

That^, the tightness of the chinstrap, and there might not be enough air in the helmet.

gtownpoke
09-29-2008, 01:24 PM
unless it's the new shutt XP it's usually not the air. All of these teams that you see on TV are big time programs. These big time programs have (should have anyway) managers that check hardware on the helmets friday before a game. If a bladder is ripped or holding no air that kind of thing should be found. For the most part though the air in regular helmets is just for added comfort and support.

Phil C
09-29-2008, 01:52 PM
A lot of players were wearing long hair in the 60s and 70s and I don't remember helmets coming off being a problem.

gtownpoke
09-29-2008, 02:12 PM
A big part of the problem is the whole "you can lead a horse to water" deal. As a manager you can tell the athlete it is in their best interest to wear a soft chin strap because a hard one does not fit them well. But if they like the hard cup look and dont want the soft chin strap there is nothing you can do. With some of those guys it might take the helmet coming off and them getting hit to realize hey maybe those guys know what they are talking about.

nunya
09-29-2008, 02:20 PM
.. from swollen heads after being told how awesome they are.

Phil C
09-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I remember the football players at Gregory-Portland back in the days of Coach Ray Akins would have their hair long but a few days before the fall practice they were at the barber shop getting much shorter haircuts. They had too or they wouldn't have been playing football for Coach Akins.

Old Tiger
09-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Aren't the revolution helmets designed to do that?

I've noticed it also!

IHStangFan
09-29-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
They are not wearing them tight enough. It is almost as if they wish they didn't have to wear them at all. I want to know how much energy is wasted when players such as Brett Favre unbutton and then button their helmet after every play. Ridiculous. you may be onto something there Rocket. I can remember growing up, football helmets fit TIGHT. And yes....the unbutton, button, unbutton, button thing bothers me too!!! It's good to know I'm not the only one.

Stownhorse
09-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke
unless it's the new shutt XP it's usually not the air. All of these teams that you see on TV are big time programs. These big time programs have (should have anyway) managers that check hardware on the helmets friday before a game. If a bladder is ripped or holding no air that kind of thing should be found. For the most part though the air in regular helmets is just for added comfort and support.

Haha hell my helmet never had air in it. and when they put some in it, that crap hurt.

IHStangFan
09-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Haha hell my helmet never had air in it. and when they put some in it, that crap hurt. yeah......those sucked.

Old Tiger
09-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Haha hell my helmet never had air in it. and when they put some in it, that crap hurt. same here

IHStangFan
09-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
same here thats because you head had enough in it to make up for the lack of it in your helmet. :p

Old Tiger
09-29-2008, 04:03 PM
thats because you head had enough in it to make up for the lack of it in your helmet. :p thats beside the point! :D

IHStangFan
09-29-2008, 04:04 PM
thats beside the point! :D true...true. So you really gonna go to the Nav/Sealy game?

Old Tiger
09-29-2008, 04:17 PM
thinking about it

IHStangFan
09-29-2008, 04:21 PM
thinking about it So are we tailgating before the game? LOL.

DaHop72
09-29-2008, 04:23 PM
So are we tailgating before the game? LOL. :hijacktd:

Old Tiger
09-29-2008, 04:27 PM
So are we tailgating before the game? LOL. if you're buyin

Gp83
09-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Did any of you see that hit Bolden took head to head yesterday?:eek:

IHStangFan
09-29-2008, 04:42 PM
if you're buyin come on big money grip....I'm po-white trash. I ain't got no green.

Trashman
09-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

It all goes back to Jason Whitten's long run without his helmet.:cool:

Old Dog
09-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Back in the stone age when I was on the field, if your helmet got knocked off, your ears came with it...............they fit tight. I don't ever recall a helmet coming off; but of course we had a suspended rigging instead of padding or air bladders.

garciap77
09-29-2008, 07:58 PM
if you're buyin

And don't forget to ask him for a shirt!:D

;)

Pudlugger
09-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Because of their pin heads.:D

sinton66
09-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Pomeade?

Ranger Mom
09-29-2008, 10:51 PM
I always wondered if it was because of them snapping and unsnapping the chin straps so much.

I know they are more heavy duty than the ones you find on clothes....but those snaps to seem to wear out and stretch out with time.

gtownpoke
09-30-2008, 11:11 AM
I dont know how it is at other schools but each friday all of those buckles are checked and if there is any cracking or if they snap/come unsnapped too easily they are replaced.

HM33
09-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Alright, look at all the pros helmets. I bet half of them have one of the chin strap buckles unsnapped on one side. I guess they think that is one side is snapped then the helmet won't come off. Wrong.

And I have to defend the people that buckle and unbuckle their chin strap every play, I know I did. The reason behind it is becuase my helmet and chin strap were so tight I couldn't call the defense in the huddle. My jaw was pretty much stationary when my chin strap was snapped.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-30-2008, 12:15 PM
I think it has something to do with the button that's on top, because when I hit people mine would always come unsnapped almost every play, but they replaced them since with the screw in type that you can't snap on and off and I've liked those a lot better and had a lot less trouble. Of course, my helmet has never came off completely.