PDA

View Full Version : NFL Rule Clarification

JasperDog94
09-28-2008, 07:36 PM
What is the rule concerning a player celebrating a touchdown and touching the ground? TO went to the ground a couple of weeks ago and was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. After a touchdown today, one of the Redskins players went to the ground in his celebration and was not flagged.

What's the difference? (other than one is T.O. and the other is not)

SintonFan_inAustin
09-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
What is the rule concerning a player celebrating a touchdown and touching the ground? TO went to the ground a couple of weeks ago and was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. After a touchdown today, one of the Redskins players went to the ground in his celebration and was not flagged.

What's the difference? (other than one is T.O. and the other is not) didnt notice it, everytime they scored i threw the remote and the tv would turn off and by the time i turned it on they would be kicking off

VAMike
09-28-2008, 07:40 PM
What did the player today do? I have heard he prayed?

pirate4state
09-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by VAMike
What did the player today do? I have heard he prayed? He went down to his knees and put his hands in the air.

Does the rule state as long as it appears you are praying it's okay?

JasperDog94
09-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
He went down to his knees and put his hands in the air.
That's what he did. He went down to his knees and threw his arms into the air in celebration. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that. I'm just looking to see if there's a double standard here.

VAMike
09-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Back when they started tightening the NCAA rules on celebrations we were told to permit short prayers. Maybe NFL told their guys the same

pirate4state
09-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
That's what he did. He went down to his knees and threw his arms into the air in celebration. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that. I'm just looking to see if there's a double standard here. It probably didn't help that Jerry Jones went and had to put in his .02 cents about Hoculli and was fined this week. ;)

It's a conspiracy against the Cowboys, I tell ya! :D

sinton66
09-28-2008, 08:06 PM
Here's what I found on the NFL site:

In a vote of 29-3, the owners gave officials power to penalize a team 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff for excessive celebrations anywhere on the field. Spikes, dunks, Lambeau Leaps, spins, dances and simple celebrations will be allowed. But penalties will be given for any celebration other than that.

Phil C
09-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
It probably didn't help that Jerry Jones went and had to put in his .02 cents about Hoculli and was fined this week. ;)

It's a conspiracy against the Cowboys, I tell ya! :D

Unfortuantely Hoculi may have done it again. He is supposed to be a good ref but if he did good again then it needs to be noted and one more big goof up he needs to be suspended for a year. I can allow a few mistakes but too much is too much no matter how good you are.

JasperDog94
09-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah, but TO's celebration of the start of a race (imitating Bolt) was very simple to me.

bulldog64
09-29-2008, 09:53 AM
the rule is "if a player touches the ground during a celebration". The play in question put his hand down on the ground as he started to pray. I`m for prayer, but that rule would be a double standard.

Crow22
09-29-2008, 11:10 AM
How about clarifying THESE rules:

1. If a player has his facemask grabbed to the point of turning his head around like the girl in The Exorcist, is that a penalty?

2. If an offensive tackle (on 3rd and 4 from the 12 yard line) takes off 1 full second before the snap, is that a penalty?

3. If Terrell Owens is sexually assaulted before a pass reaches his hands, is that a penalty?

Just wondering....