PDA

View Full Version : What a week for College Football Upsets!

Phil C
09-27-2008, 07:23 PM
And it may not be over yet. Six of the top 25 ranked teams have fallen today to unranked team in upsets. As follows

Houston 41 No. 23 ranked East Carolina 23

Navy 24 No. 16 Ranked Wake Forest 17

Oregon State 27 No. 1 Ranked USC 21

Maryland 20 No. 20 Ranked Clemson 27

Mississippi 31 No. 4 Ranked Florida 30

Michigan 27 No. 9 Ranked Wisconsin 25

The main irony is that in the last one it used to be a big upset if it was the other way around. It just goes to show how things run in cycles.

Gontex
09-27-2008, 07:26 PM
And Bama is in the process of doing it to Georgia. I know it's early, but looks like the handwriting is on the wall.

espn1
09-27-2008, 07:26 PM
What's so bad is that Texas is now starting a brutal Schedule! I hope they stay healthy!http://www.hookem.biz/uttower1s.jpg

Phil C
09-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Mississippi over Florida may be the biggest upset ever. Remember Mississippi only had a 2 - 2 record going into the game and was not considered a good team especially after last year's 3 - 9 record.

I know Oregon State upset USC but remember Oregon State had a good 9 - 4 team last year. And another big upset of Boise State over Oklahoma was certainly that but remember that was by a good 13 - 0 Boise State team.

Rocket
09-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
And it may not be over yet. Six of the top 25 ranked teams have fallen today to unranked team in upsets. As follows

Houston 41 No. 23 ranked East Carolina 23

Navy 24 No. 16 Ranked Wake Forest 17

Oregon State 27 No. 1 Ranked USC 21

Maryland 20 No. 20 Ranked Clemson 27

Mississippi 31 No. 4 Ranked Florida 30

Michigan 27 No. 9 Ranked Wisconsin 25

The main irony is that in the last one it used to be a big upset if it was the other way around. It just goes to show how things run in cycles.

Further proof that Rankings don't mean nothing.

ziggy29
09-27-2008, 08:17 PM
And though it can't be called *too* much of an upset, the magnitude of the can #9 Alabama is opening on #3 Georgia -- 31-0 Tide at halftime and AT Georgia -- is rather prodigious...

Lion_Addict
09-28-2008, 08:36 AM
COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS GOOD!

ziggy29
09-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Mississippi over Florida may be the biggest upset ever. Remember Mississippi only had a 2 - 2 record going into the game and was not considered a good team especially after last year's 3 - 9 record.
I think Stanford's recent upset of USC may be greater. For one thing, I think OSU has been a better team than Stanford, and for another, OSU's two recent wins over USC have been in Corvallis while Stanford's upset win came at USC.

Gontex
09-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by ziggy29
And though it can't be called *too* much of an upset, the magnitude of the can #9 Alabama is opening on #3 Georgia -- 31-0 Tide at halftime and AT Georgia -- is rather prodigious...

Congratulations, Ziggy. If you need someone to help with the big words (prodigious-an unbelievable amount) call on me at any time. There are several of us on this board that can help you out.

Gontex
09-28-2008, 05:35 PM
I was disappointed with the rankings that came out today. I believe Texas is being overlooked at this time. It may be because the pollsters don't want to have one conference with three of the top four spots. If the Horns run through the next four games and they are still undefeated, the rankings are going to take care of themselves. I see though that USC and Ohio State are moving back into position to be available to play for the nc when the Big 12 and SEC knock each other out of contention for the BCS championship game.

Old Dog
09-28-2008, 07:30 PM
These out comes also show evidence that a national playoff system in football is really needed, but we all know that there is just too much money involved. Therefore we can "wish" in one hand and "blow" in the other!