PDA

View Full Version : La Vega 21 Crockett 12

JR2004
09-27-2008, 01:16 AM
http://www.wacotrib.com/prep/content/sports/highschools/stories/2008/09/27/09272008waclavega.html

La Vega bounces back in 21-12 win over Crockett

Saturday, September 27, 2008

By Justin Baer

Special to the Tribune-Herald

In its last nondistrict game, No. 8 La Vega (4-1) evaded Crockett (2-2) 21-12, despite being tagged 10 times for 160 penalty yards.

With all the yellow flags thrown —Crockett had 115 penalty yards of its own — one would think that the referees were doing their share to support the yellow-and-blue of La Vega for its packed homecoming game.

Instead, the miscues, six of which were personal fouls, only caused headaches for Pirate head coach Willie Williams.

“When you win a game like that, it doesn’t feel like you really won,” Williams said. “I think they got caught up in the moment, but you can’t do stuff that could cost your team a victory. It will be fixed.”

Chad Ward sprinted for 66 yards on 10 carries including a 37-yard touchdown run, but exited the game early after suffering an ankle injury midway through the second quarter.

Ward’s touchdown came in rapid response to Crockett’s opening-drive touchdown, which ended with Anthony Harris’ 14-yard toss to tight end NaQuan Lee in the corner of the end zone.

With Ward on crutches on the sideline, the usual run-heavy La Vega transitioned to a pass-oriented offense at the beginning of the second half.

Opening the third frame with a 7-6 lead, Danzel Wilson darted a 41-yard pass to Daxton Swanson. Three plays later Wilson, who finished 7-of-11 for 128 yards and one touchdown, chunked a 32-yard toss to Caleb Hobbs to set the Pirates up at the Crockett 3-yard-line. Wilson finished what he started two plays later, running up the middle to put La Vega up 14-6.

“(Crockett) has a good defense,” Wilson said. “Coach just told me to come out and connect on some passes to build momentum. So I just sat on my back foot and threw the ball.”

After a Crockett three-and-out, La Vega posted another long drive that took more than six minutes. Wilson marched his team down the field, running seven times for 36 yards on the drive before finding Stefan Adams in the corner of the end zone on a bootleg pass to extend the Pirate lead.

Crockett added a touchdown midway through the fourth quarter, but after Roman Sanchez missed the extra point, the Bulldogs were two possessions behind, dampening any comeback hopes.

La Vega’s win comes one week after being upset 22-20 by Abilene Wylie, so, as Wilson said, even though the win was ugly, it was essential going into district play.

“We came out tonight and knew we were going to have a tough battle,” the senior signal-caller said. “We bounced back, came together and took care of some things to get the win.”

La Vega has a bye week before hosting Mexia to open District 19-3A play.

JR2004
09-27-2008, 01:30 AM
After watching this I came to this conclusion and I think it might be different from Grant's thoughts on a few points.

Tonight was Modoc's homecoming. So many teams just seem to not play that well on homecoming. I have to hand it to them though for hanging in there when Ward went down. Danzel Wilson did a pretty good job having to throw the ball from the 2nd quarter on.

LaVega has a great defense, but offensively they aren't near as explosive as last year. Ward is a tough runner and I think they're capable of winning a state title with him and I hope his ankle injury isn't too severe. Having a severely sprained one at the moment myself I would hope his is just a minor one. That defense though for Modoc is good enough to carry them to a state title. That's the fastest set of LB's I've seen on a 3A team in the last 3-4 years and that front four is very quick off the ball. Secondary is big and physical and Crockett didn't challenge them too much tonight.

Crockett's downfall is having no depth. I believe they had 26 or 27 kids suited out tonight. What they did have out there on defense though was FAST, really FAST. Number 30 is a hoss. That kid was listed at 6'5" 254lbs. (He was every bit of the listed size) and he lined up at RECEIVER as well! He even caught a jump ball on their first score. He was very, very impressive to watch. If Crockett had any kind of depth they'd be a dangerous team in the playoffs.