PDA

View Full Version : Cuero vs La Vernia updates

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 07:24 PM
I will be listening to the game - if anyone wants updates on here - let me know, otherwise, I'll just listen to the game and play spades ;) I'll be checking in from time to time and see if anyone wants updates....... dang, it's weird not being at the game :(

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 07:36 PM
wow....La Vernia holds the Gobblers on their first drive....if they can keep that up, it might be a good game!

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 07:41 PM
La Vernia 7
Gobblers 0

6:00 left in the 1st Q.

Has anyone been able to draw first blood against the Gobblers this year as La Vernia just did? I figure Cuero usually scores first.

Gobbler Fan
09-26-2008, 07:42 PM
BC scored first last week

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
BC scored first last week doesn't happen very often though I'd suspect.

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Cuero punts and LV gets the ball with good field position..... 1st and 15 after illegal procedure penalty.......

Come on Gobblers - hold em

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 07:49 PM
LV Fumble -= GOBBLERS BALL

Sounds like Troy Ruiz recovered on the 30 yard line......

IHStangFan
FUMBLE!!! Gobblers recover

IHStangFan
WOW!!! next play Cuero QB throws INT....Bears ball....this is an exciting game!!

44INAROW
Crapola

LV Intercepted the pass....... so now Bears get the ball on their own 45

Gobbler Fan
09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
crazy game so far :eek:

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 07:53 PM
crazy game so far :eek:

no joke.......

LV punts - Cuero gets the ball on LV 7 or so......

OK guys - let's bust it open...... 2 mins left in the 1st quarter

dang, this is hard listening and not being able to see anything..... :eek:

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
no joke.......

LV punts - Cuero gets the ball on LV 7 or so......

OK guys - let's bust it open...... 2 mins left in the 1st quarter

dang, this is hard listening and not being able to see anything..... :eek: I'm used to it...there were a handful of years there I wasn't in TX....and hence getting good at finding games online :D

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 07:55 PM
there are 56 online at gobblersports.com

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 07:57 PM
there are 56 online at gobblersports.com I'm one of them...I have 3 other games pulled up, but unless this one changes and starts goin the way I THOUGHT it would...I'm not goin anywhere!! LOL.

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 07:57 PM
end of the 1st
La Vernia 7
Cuero 0

GO MEAN GREEN

3rd and "mile and a half" :eek:

looks like we'll be punting.......:(

Arndt's punt - 50 something yards.........

LV goes 3 and out

LV punts

Cuero's ball -

3rd and short on the LV 34 yard line for Cuero
7 1/2 mins left in the 2nd quarter......

Bears stop Cuero - Cuero punting........

ball punted to the 15 yard line.. LV ball......... 52 yard punt
Gobbler defense doing a good job of holding the Bears -
Bears punt - Gobblers get the ball mid field.........

get's 5 yards

2nd and 5 for the Gobblers.

running play didn't work -

3rd and 8 for the Gobblers 2 wide outs.....
looks like Gobbler's will be punting again from the 46 3:29 left in the 2nd quarter

Arndt's punt goes to the 19 or 20 yard line...... Hold em Gobblers..........
'

4 yard loss for LV on 1st down

Jake Moeller chases QB down to the 3 yard line
3rd and "mile and half" for LV

Bears call a time out -
Gobbler defense has done a great job....... (I missed the LV touchdown - IHS - how did LV score?)

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 08:14 PM
sounds like maybe Cuero might be getting things going on D finally.

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 08:17 PM
sounds like LV made a big play......... LV ball on Gobbler 20 yard line..........

FUMBLE

GOBBLER BALL
on LV 2 yard line with 50 seconds...........

Holy Moly............

what a 1st half............

LV 7
Cuero 0

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 08:18 PM
sounds like LV made a big play......... LV ball on Gobbler 20 yard line..........

FUMBLE

GOBBLER BALL

Holy Moly............ no kidding!! This game is shaping up to be one for "best game of the year" in BDR's award show come the end of the season! I have closed all other games I was going to listen to. I'm here for the duration.

Gobbler Fan
09-26-2008, 08:18 PM
wow ... :crazy1:

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 08:21 PM
wow ... :crazy1:

I think I need a tall drink after that half! Goodness - that was a quick half wasn't it? I only recall 1 penalty -

I'm going to DQ for a blizzard - will be listening in the car...... you guys want something? :D

Kayron is in the pressbox for the halftime show...... (Gobbler84 all the way from Baylor)

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 08:27 PM
I think I need a tall drink after that half! Goodness - that was a quick half wasn't it? I only recall 1 penalty -

I'm going to DQ for a blizzard - will be listening in the car...... you guys want something? :D

Kayron is in the pressbox for the halftime show...... (Gobbler84 all the way from Baylor) oh now that's just mean!

SpursFan
09-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Did I hear right??

Cuero 1 First Down??

Gobbler Fan
09-26-2008, 08:42 PM
:( :confused:

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by SpursFan
Did I hear right??

Cuero 1 First Down?? Did I hear that all of the other Cuero HS teams lost to La Vernia as well? I've never heard much about La Vernia....have they always been a decent team or are they having a Cinderella type year?

Gobbler Fan
09-26-2008, 08:47 PM
La Vernia is good ....yes our JV and Fish both lost last night .

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 08:48 PM
La Vernia is good ....yes our JV and Fish both lost last night . hmmm....I'll have to keep my eye on this team. I know one thing...this has been a crazy, exciting game so far!

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 08:58 PM
goodness what a defensive battle

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 08:59 PM
crap what just happened?!?! the feed went dead for a second...sounds like Gobblers almost broke it on the punt return.

SpursFan
09-26-2008, 08:59 PM
GO! GO!! GO!! GO!! GO!! GO!!

Gobbler Fan
09-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Lets go Cuero :clap:

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 09:07 PM
TD Gobblers! This is a good game!!!

EP coming....

EP missed

La Vernia 7
Cuero 6

Gobbler Fan
09-26-2008, 09:07 PM
:clap: everytime our announcers get excited I lose my feed .........missed xp

LV 7 Cuero 6

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 09:17 PM
end of the 3rd quarter
LV 7 Cuero 6

wow - I got stuck in traffic lol...... how did we score? Mr 44 called and all I could hear him say was on the extra point it was a high snap.........
I got faith in these boys..... let's stop this drive and get the ball back

Gobbler Fan
09-26-2008, 09:22 PM
14-6 Bears

10:05 left in the game

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 09:24 PM
my radio/internet feed keeps freezing up on me ggrrrr :mad:

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 09:26 PM
my radio/internet feed keeps freezing up on me ggrrrr :mad: I keep hearing a keytone like on a phone..then my feed will go dead for several seconds.

ferilhog11
09-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I don't know what's is going on with Tyler tonight, but he can't throw the ball to save his life if seems. Gobblers better do someting quick.

garciap77
09-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by ferilhog11
I don't know what's is going on with Tyler tonight, but he can't throw the ball to save his life if seems. Gobblers better do someting quick.

Come on Cuero!

Gobbler Fan
09-26-2008, 09:34 PM
We need a punt block
:mad:

Gobbler Fan
09-26-2008, 09:35 PM
:( no ...roughing the kicker

ferilhog11
09-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Everytime something good happens for us somebody screws up.

Gobbler Fan
09-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Where was the offense tonight .... La Vernia came prepared for the Gobblers

garciap77
09-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by ferilhog11
Everytime something good happens for us somebody screws up.

Dang, that is what's happening to us now!

Gobbler Fan
09-26-2008, 09:42 PM
When was the last time we only scored 6 points ?? great game by the La Vernia defense

Compete/punish
how much time is left

IHStangFan
That La Vernia crowd is fired up!

XtremeCouture
09-26-2008, 09:45 PM
what were the predictions for this game? something like cuero wins by however many points they want, am i right? owned

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 09:49 PM
wow - those folks in La Vernia sound like they are going nuts........ and on Homecoming :eek:

Well, it's not the end of the world..... The real season starts in 2 weeks. I have a feeling the Gobblers will be working on several things for the next 2 weeks...... Maybe we got the "bad game" out of our system ;) (insert all the other cliche' sayings :) )

We'll be ready for district and work these bugs out. Not taking anything away from the Bears, I obviously didn't see the game, but it sounds like they came with a great game plan and ready to play!
Keep your heads up Gobblers and get ready for district!

garciap77
09-26-2008, 09:54 PM
wow - those folks in La Vernia sound like they are going nuts........ and on Homecoming :eek:

Well, it's not the end of the world..... The real season starts in 2 weeks. I have a feeling the Gobblers will be working on several things for the next 2 weeks...... Maybe we got the "bad game" out of our system ;) (insert all the other cliche' sayings :) )

We'll be ready for district and work these bugs out. Not taking anything away from the Bears, I obviously didn't see the game, but it sounds like they came with a great game plan and ready to play!
Keep your heads up Gobblers and get ready for district!

Yeah! It's good to get them bad games out of your system before dist. Good luck with the rest of your games!

gobbler grad
09-26-2008, 09:54 PM
DAMN.........:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

glad I stayed in town and drank...:1omg!:

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
DAMN.........:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

glad I stayed in town and drank...:1omg!:

ROFL...... I didn't know you drank GG :D :D :D

I was checking in and out with the game - but I didn't notice many penalties - sounded like a pretty clean game!

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 09:58 PM
ROFL...... I didn't know you drank GG :D :D :D

I was checking in and out with the game - but I didn't notice many penalties - sounded like a pretty clean game! it was a very exciting game, not many penalties. D battle most of the game. Sounded like La Vernia might have worn the Gobblers down a bit and maybe got in their heads a little. La Vernia sounds like they are for real.

gobbler grad
09-26-2008, 10:17 PM
bottom line...we had to play like crap...we will re-group...La Vernia is really nothing...don't see them playing in the semi- finals...:thinking:

IHStangFan
09-26-2008, 10:19 PM
bottom line...we had to play like crap...we will re-group...La Vernia is really nothing...don't see them playing in the semi- finals...:thinking: :blahblah: classy

Pudlugger
09-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Congratulations to the Bears! Some defense there La Vernia.

gobbler grad
09-26-2008, 10:41 PM
soooooooooooooooo .......!!!!!!! who will be eating some CROW tonight...:(

pirate4state
09-26-2008, 10:48 PM
bottom line...we had to play like crap...we will re-group...La Vernia is really nothing...don't see them playing in the semi- finals...:thinking: :eek: wow.....i had to double check the name....this sounds more like a cuerodad08 post :(

Good game La Vernia. I'm sure the Gobblers will rebound.

HM33
09-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Hate to bash but I have too.

Cuero played like crap tonight. Coaches and players were not good at all. On the other hand La Vernia was great. They are a great team and will do good in the playoffs. They have big guys and a RB and QB with some good speed.

The battle tonight though was in the trenches with the big men and La Vernia dominated Cuero. Offensive and Defensive lines were blown off the ball all night. It doesn't help Cuero that many of their line goes both ways. The two boys that were gassed and need more resting were Klayton Smith and Dustin Blinka (sp?) . Those two guys played a lot of the game. Patton also played a lot on both sides. The big men NEED their REST!!!!!

Ok on to offense. I love Ardnt but these past two weeks he has had only a few good throws. When they are good they are great, but when they are bad they are VERY bad. Reeve needs to let Tyler play football not this game his playing. He has a great arm and can move very easy, USE IT!. One thing Tyler needs to do is EXPLORE his options, he picks one receiver out every play and thats who is going to no matter what. Look around at other guys on the field. And make decisions faster! By the time Tyler throws the ball the WRs are at the end of their routes waiting with the Defensive players.

NOW NO MORE SIDELINE TO SIDELINE PLAYS!!!! They are NOT working. yeah you get ONE big one a game. IMO the 2-minute offense is the only thing that is moving the ball for Cuero right now. So be like the Colts and run a no huddle a few series when you know your line is rested enough to do it.

Ok Defense now. It actually wasn't that bad, just the linemen were tired and thats what killed them. Oh no more ARM tackles or tackles that just go for the big hit. Two weeks in a row a team has been able to run effectively because the ball carriers keep thier feet moving unlike the tacklers. Ragnow had an alright game. I don't know if his area is the curl to flats in coverage or what, but if so the 7 to 10 yard curl worked for LV when they needed it.

Special Teams. this is getting ridiculous. there has to be someone on that talented team that can field a punt everytime withOUT dropping it.

All in all the past two weeks for Cuero have not been good. I would like to see more emotion from the Cuero players and I would to see the coaches to throw the sideline to sideline play book in the paper shredder.

But I believe LV is a great team and they have a great chance this year to do something big.

HM33
09-26-2008, 11:23 PM
Oh Hope I don't make any Cuero posters mad....... :doh:

CHSVARSITYDAD
09-27-2008, 01:24 AM
Hey Harry, good post, no sense sugarcoating it.We looked like crap and LaVernia came to play. Good luck to you boys the rest of the year. As for my son he's not looking forward to 7 am but oh well. If there isn't some butt chewing in the morning then I wont know what to think.

IHStangFan
09-27-2008, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:eek: wow.....i had to double check the name....this sounds more like a cuerodad08 post :(

Good game La Vernia. I'm sure the Gobblers will rebound. speaking of ....where is the ole fella? figured he'd of already put his $.02 in on this game.

JR2004
09-27-2008, 01:37 AM
:eek: wow.....i had to double check the name....this sounds more like a cuerodad08 post :(

That was my first thought too after reading that. I had to do a double take to make sure that wasn't really Cuerodad08 as I fully expected to see him make a post like that after receiving the text on the final score on the way home...lol.

Boomer
09-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Your right HM33!!

Cuero got out played, out coached, their heads were not in this one at all. I am not liking all the side to side plays either. Cuero's offense is very predictable. It was like the defense was inside the Cuero huddle. You would think they would go down field more with all the speed they have. LV came ready to play, they played hard and were fired up!

But if there's a such thing as a good loss, this is it. Better now than in the playoff's. This should be a wake-up call for the whole team, coaches and players, and the whole town of Cuero! I said this last week, and I will say it again, Cuero fans need to step it up! I know it's tough to get loud when were down, but we have got to pick up our team when their down and get loud and cheer. Not just when we make a good play, all the time!

Cuero, IMO, still is one of the best teams in state. HM33 is right, Cuero looks good in the 2 min. offense. They need to do more of that! Why? Because LV did not expect that out of Cuero. We are to predictable, and it cost us tonight.

We have 2 weeks to think about this one, I feel sorry for Yoakum. They will feel the wrath of this loss.

Go Mean Green!

CueroDad08
09-27-2008, 09:16 AM
[B]:eek: wow.....i had to double check the name....this sounds more like a cuerodad08

LOL

headhunter
09-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Boomer and HM33, I am glad you both made that post. Both of yall could not be any more right. Cuero is very predictable, and if most of us fans see that, just imagine what the coaches see when scouting us.

I feel like we play to conservative. We have a QB that can throw the ball to any spot on the field and we continue to do these little bubble routes and sideline/lateral passes. It seems that when we throw the ball down field we are more efficient. I understand that a few of those short plays are needed, but why don't we throw the ball down the field more? Also if i was playing Cuero I would not even put a defensive back in the middle of the field. We never throw across the middle. LV scouted us well and rolled up on the short passes. I also did realize that LV did not really have anyone in the middle of the field, I think they realized that when Cuero throws deep it is to the sidelines and not across the middle.

I thought the defense played good but when your offense cant move the football it makes it tough on the D. And SPECIAL TEAMS!!! I find it hard to believe that we can't get a consistent extra point kicker. It is embarrassing to not be able to get a kick through the uprights. Special teams make the difference in the playoffs many of times. If I am correct, I think this has been a problem in the Reeves era at Cuero.

Now I know I am going to piss a few Cuero fans off but I believe we should be a little mad. Their is no doubt that Cuero has the talent to get though region VI. BUT I was very dissapointed in the coaching. I think the players show very little emotion and the coaches do a poor job of getting them hyped up. They have to have some intensity.

I expressed a few opinions last week and mean_green jumped all over me. Well here is your chance again, but I think their is a few more of us upset. The natives are a little restless in Cuero as they should be. The expectations are high and that is how we as Cuero fans like them to be. I spoke with many fans after the game and I think more people will agree with Boomer and HM33 and me then they will defend the coaching staff. I was very disappointed in the game-plan and play-calling. I would love to see some intensity as well, from the players and the coaches. When you make a big play it should be a big deal and many times if we force a fumble we act as if its know big deal.

headhunter
09-27-2008, 04:40 PM
I do want to say that LV player a great football game. They executed their game-plan well and they scouted us well. They were prepared. They probably played the best game of their season. They have some good talent and i was impressed.

The Gobblers will be ok, but will have to work on those little things to get a state championship.

Ingleside Fan
09-27-2008, 05:26 PM
I pitty Yoakum in a couple weeks!!:(

HM33
09-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by headhunter

Now I know I am going to piss a few Cuero fans off but I believe we should be a little mad. Their is no doubt that Cuero has the talent to get though region VI. BUT I was very dissapointed in the coaching. [B] I think the players show very little emotion [B] and the coaches do a poor job of getting them hyped up. They have to have some intensity.

This is one of the biggest things for me. I see two or three players that play with great emotion/heart. Yeah yeah, I might sound stupid or whatever, but I know from great experiences. I played on a very emotionally rich and big heart in Cuero my senior year. Then I came to TLU and there was a drastic change. Players didn't care, no emotion, nothing. And I have to say they look alot like the TLU player I played with and that is NOT a good thing :)... I just hope those few players get the others in the right state of mind.

IHStangFan
09-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by HM33
This is one of the biggest things for me. I see two or three players that play with great emotion/heart. Yeah yeah, I might sound stupid or whatever, but I know from great experiences. I played on a very emotionally rich and big heart in Cuero my senior year. Then I came to TLU and there was a drastic change. Players didn't care, no emotion, nothing. And I have to say they look alot like the TLU player I played with and that is NOT a good thing :)... I just hope those few players get the others in the right state of mind. I had a buddy that set some records at TLU....David Lyons.

HM33
09-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I had a buddy that set some records at TLU....David Lyons.

When he play and what position?

IHStangFan
09-27-2008, 06:13 PM
When he play and what position? He graduated HS in 1998...and I know he was there in 2000. He was a RB, return specialist.

HM33
09-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, thats way before my time here lol... thats when they brought football back here. Started it back up in '98. Had a good year or two, but has been on a down fall every since :S

IHStangFan
09-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Yeah, thats way before my time here lol... thats when they brought football back here. Started it back up in '98. Had a good year or two, but has been on a down fall every since :S yeah...Davy was pretty good. Hope TLU can get on track.

HM33
09-27-2008, 06:26 PM
We would if we got the right coach. The one we have now is.... well lets just say he is an idiot.... would say something else BUT not on the Downlow

Boomer
09-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Your right head hunter about the XP kick's. It will haunt us in the playoff's.

Our team need's to play with some pride. I think Cuero players and are so used to winning that they don't know how to play when their down. They hang their heads when things don't go their way. Penalties killed us! Block in the backs on long runs and that roughing the punter with 2 min. left in the game were big. Our players need to step up and get their heads in the game if they want to go deep in the playoffs. We were in it, we just shot ourselves in the foot to many times.

The fans hang their heads also. We are spoiled to having a winning football team. I totally agree that some of the play calling sucks, but if your not up in the stands doing your job as a fan by cheering and trying to pump up your Gobblers, then you have no right to say anything about the play calling. As fans, we play a big part in football games. MAKE SOME NOISE FOR OUR GOBBLERS. Spencer should not have to almost beg the crowd to yell and chant "defense" when our team need's a lift. Let's step up and bring some noise makers, body paint, and let the Gobblers know we back them up.

We have two weeks to prepare for district play. We will need to do something different on offense because everybody is going to see how LV beat us. The way we ran our offense the last 2 min. was awesome. Why not do that more if it is working? Stop calling plays that dose not work or get yards. We have a good quarterback that can throw, so why all the short side to side passes.

You see, we can't point the finger at one thing or person, it's the the whole team, including coaches and Cuero fans, that needs to step up. I love Cuero football!! And I, like everybody else, would like to see our Gobblers make another deep playoff run. That is why I said what I said. I know some Cuero folks get mad, but it is the truth.

We all need a wake-up call, and I think that's what LV did to Cuero. They just woke up the beast in Cuero!! It's not how you start a season, it's how you finish, and I think this season will have a good ending!!

Keep your heads up Gobblers and GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

headhunter
09-27-2008, 07:06 PM
I agree Boomer. And the truth hurts. Cuero has been accustom to winning and I don't think they realize how important the "little things" are.

Winning has come easy in many games because the talent level in Cuero is so high, but in close games we are just a .500 team. It seems like we either get conservative, or do not know how to react when things don't go our way. I go back to the Bay City game last week, We had just scored in a 2 min no huddle offense and our offense looked the best it had so far. Then we come out in the 3rd qtr on the first drive and run the same running play twice (that hasn't made nothing all night) and we throw a 2 yard pass. We could have put the dagger to them.

The truth is we have a lot to work on to get to that state game and We Should Not Be SATISFIED. I like that the fans get pissed off after a loss, that means they care. I do agree they need to be louder, and in close games the cheerleaders only need two cheers. Go and Defense. The truth about football in Cuero is that every year we expect to contend for a state championship and anything less is failure. The expectations are high and they should be. Yes their are some years when we may have a down year, but currently I believe as well as many that we belong in the state championship game.

Lets go boys get it together I know you will and your going to be alright. I do challenge them to play with some intensity. Keep getting better each week.

Nursebetty
09-27-2008, 09:37 PM
I agree with you Boomer.....on all points. The fan issue......so true... I for one was on my feet alot and hollering and yelling and using my noise maker. I choose to support my Gobblers win or lose. I wish more fans would do that. Too many just sit there when we are not doing so hot......or not winning. Of course, alot of fans cheer, too. Mr. Spencer does such a good job of keeping the spirit up!!!!!!!!!! Let's all support the Gobblers.......up or down........either way!
GO MEAN GREEN!

JR2004
09-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Nursebetty
I agree with you Boomer.....on all points. The fan issue......so true... I for one was on my feet alot and hollering and yelling and using my noise maker. I choose to support my Gobblers win or lose. I wish more fans would do that. Too many just sit there when we are not doing so hot......or not winning. Of course, alot of fans cheer, too. Mr. Spencer does such a good job of keeping the spirit up!!!!!!!!!! Let's all support the Gobblers.......up or down........either way!
GO MEAN GREEN!

HOORAH Nursebetty HOORAH!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nursebetty
09-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Yes, JR2004..........that would be a big "HOORAH" for La Vega who actually won their game Friday night!

buff4ever
09-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Is this thread for real, I have been away from the real world for a few days, can't believe this happened.

DDBooger
09-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
Is this thread for real, I have been away from the real world for a few days, can't believe this happened. i was thinking the same thing! :eek:

Gobbler Fan
09-28-2008, 09:31 PM
With the talent that has come through Cuero in the last 5 years Cuero has had the team to win a State Championship why we haven't is another question . I personally think that we play not to lose instead of playing to win . Cuero could go for the jugular from the get go but we don't for some odd reason .

One more thing get rid of the 4-2-5 and get us a third LB so we wont be so suspect to draws up the middle . LV had the perfect plan get in the spread and have our LB's have to cover the flats and then boom the QB is up the middle for a big gain ....over and over . It's nice to have all that speed but what good does it do when all that speed is downfield covering the pass and the other team is killing our D with the run right up the gut .

I could go on but im gonna stop before I step on some toes .....:kiss:

headhunter
09-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Gobbler Fan you exactly right. These past 5 years have been a disappointment. Yes their will be those posters that get on here and praise how good we have been and we should be thankful. But the truth is almost all Cuero fans have realized we have let a great amount of talent come thru and have missed a great opportunity to cash in on a state championship. I still believe like yourself that we are good enough to win state with the kids we have.

Now on to my next point. Why have we not won one? Is it the players, is it the talent level, is it the coaching?

I do not understand why we get conservative on offense, I also will never understand why we NEVER BLITZ, and why we don't use the TE. From the looks of things it seems like we do not utilize all our weapons or we do not utilize them in the right way. Many of you may agree on this, some won't, this is just my opinion. If Cuero does not win a State Championship while Coach Reeves is at the helm then it will be considered probably one of the biggest wastes of talent. The bottom line is in Cuero we expect to win every night and when you don't win, the natives get restless. Yes their are high expectations and that is how we like them. It has been a long time since Cuero has won a state championship and the Cuero faithful is getting roweled up.

headhunter
09-28-2008, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
[B]With the talent that has come through Cuero in the last 5 years Cuero has had the team to win a State Championship why we haven't is another question . I personally think that we play not to lose instead of playing to win .

I have been saying this for years. Especially in the playoffs.

JT44
09-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Cuero's not using their TE as much now b/c to be honest, the talent there is a step down from K.Johnson and JT Rudd who played their over the last 5 years. The only people who could partially replace them are Rangnow and Ruiz, but they have been Fullbacks the past 2 years and are too valuable on Defense to run at TE also.

The 4-2-5 is suspect to the draw plays and as I have said many times before, scrambling Qb's are Cuero's kryptonite (see Case Keenum, the QB from Hutto- I forgot his name Kerley?, Beatty at Wimberly, Rutherford from Bc last year, and all the way back to Wharton's QB from the 04 and 05 years, and Eskew from CS.

I have noticed three LB's this year along with an extra D-lineman. K.smith #50 has been back there. I think they're trying to change, but you gotta have the players to make it work.

all that said, Cuero will go far if the coaching staff finally turns them loose in the passing game so they can get that going before playoffs. Last year when they were forced to throw against CS, they were out of it, b/c they ran to one player all year long.

gobblergrangran
09-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Boy--- I sure hope the coaches read these posts

headhunter
09-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Hoffman has not dropped a pass thrown to him. We don't even have plays designed for him. Of coarse he is not as good as Johnson and Rudd, those guys were D-1 players, but he is quite capable of holding his own and is good enough to succeed in the 3A football. We have had arguably the best TE's in 3A and we have wasted them. Why do we not use them more often? (oh I know why - because we don't throw over the middle) And you are right about turning the offense loose. Every time I watch a game I feel that we are not utilizing our play-makers to the best of their ability. (throw the ball Down the Field) I also would add that we need to turn the defense loose and let them run wild (BLITZ).

Phil C
09-29-2008, 12:00 PM
Well sometimes things don't go right. It happened to us in the playoffs at the Alamo Dome a few years ago. We had played them a good 28 to 21 game during the season even though we lost but in the playoffs everything went bad for us and we got whipped bad. Even when we did something good it turned out wrong like when we blocked a punt and it hit one of player's helmet and Cuero recovered it for a ten yard game and first down.

These things happen and it was Cuero's night but fortunately for them it was not a playoff game.

R1Editor
09-29-2008, 12:05 PM
Wow, somebody gets these guys whistles, they must already have their playbooks. :eek: :eek: