PDA

View Full Version : Cruise Suggestions

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 07:11 PM
well - our cruise date is getting closer and closer and I am getting exciteder and exciteder :D :D :D I have been "hanging out" at the carnival.com forum and have gotten some good suggestions from "veteran cruisers"
I inquired about electrical plugs for mr44's CPAP machine and one of the ladies told me to be sure and take an extension cord AND a power strip. I would have never thought of that. She said alot of the cabins have only 1 plug and it is not always close to the bed.
Other suggestions/advise I've read are:
to be sure and do the "dress up" dinner at least once just to get the experience,
do a cruise sponsored land excursion cause if you go on something not suggested by them and are running late to return to the ship, you could miss it will but they will wait on you if you booked it via carnival cruise excursions.

We'll be departing from the new port out of Seabrook since the Galveston port sustained heavy damage from Ike. Fortunately, lil44's girlfriend's family live in League City, so we are going to get them to drop us off and pick us up, so that will save alot of parking hassle. The ship is scheduled to depart (is that the right term?) at 4:00 - they start loading at 11:30 I think - wonder how early we should get there? I heard you leave your luggage with the porter/bellman and they take your luggage to your room for you. If that's the case, I think getting on board early and milling around would be fun (provided you don't have to lug your luggage with you) Also - what's the deal with cell phones? Can you use them? Is there a cost? I just thought of that. Oh and what is a customary tip for the person that makes the bed and tends to your needs while in your cabin? I have heard you normally have the same person the entire cruise. I don't wanna be a cheapskate but don't wanna break the bank either - I do assume as with any service type situation, the more generous we are - they better service we'll get :)

I was just wondering if any of you had any other suggestions, tips or comments about recent cruises you've been on. (likes and/or dislikes) Things you would do again and anything you wish you wouldn't have done. We'll be gone 7 days - making stops at Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Thanks for any advise or suggestions.
:nerd:

LHMom
09-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Hey 44. I have LOADS of advice. I'm a cruise fanatic. Although I haven't been on a cruise since '06, we went on 10 from 1997-2006. We LOVE them. I actually have a whole word doc with a lot of suggestions. I'll send you a PM...

You're gonna have a blast!!

LHMom
09-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Thought I'd go ahead and answer some of your specific questions...

Dress for dining room is not nearly as strict as it used to be. You can wear a dress, slacks, capris... Most guys wear slacks, but I've seen 'em in jeans. Most 7 day cruises have 2 formal nights. This has also loosened since we first started cruising. You can really do as much or as little as you want. It's more "after 5-ish."

For shore excursions, if it's your first cruise, you probably do want to go on a ship-sponsored excursion. But truth is you can get the same thing at pretty much every port for less $$, and less of a crowd. BUT - if you don't get back on time, it is your responsibility. We've never had a problem but I guess it is a risk.

I'd get there as early as possible. The lines will get long as 2-3000 people are all getting through the check-in process. Biggest thing to keep in mind is that "services" will be limited until after you sail. They will typically have one grill open (with sometimes long lines.) Poolside & lobby bars will be open. Other important thing on check in day is it may be late in the evening before your luggage gets to your room, so if you want a change of clothes (like a suit to get in the pool) you'll want to have it and any toiletries you might need in a bag that you carry with you instead of leaving with the porters.

Your room steward is assigned to you for the week. You tip at the end of the week. My experience is the nicer you are to them, the better they will try to take care of you. They work long hours and deserve to be treated well.

Cell phones is all about what plan you have. There is reception in all 3 of the ports you'll be at. It varies by country what the rate will be and any special dialing instructions so call your provider, and they can add international to your plan, and tell you the "per minute" charge in each of the 3 ports. While you're at sea, sometimes you get a signal and sometimes you don't...

Pack your own cokes & bottled water and you'll save a LOT of $$. I also pack some of my favorite "snacks." There is lots of food available at all times, but sometimes you just want that "thing" you like, and it's convenient to have them in your back when you are on the islands.

Pack a small fan (sometimes the rooms can get a little stuffy).. . and a can of air freshener. :) Lots more I can share - just need your email.

44INAROW
09-27-2008, 10:05 PM
wow - great stuff LH MOM - that's what kind of info I was looking for - the little tips........ never thought about the "air freshener" ;) I sent you my email address :)

LHMom
09-27-2008, 10:35 PM
It's on the way!

SWMustang
09-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Can's really add much, but I disagree with carnical sponsored excursions. In Cozumel, there's a little snorkeling spot - Dzul Ha about a 5 gollar cab right from the port. I would just get off the boat and go do that on my own.

CHS_Grad '85
09-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Also - what's the deal with cell phones? Can you use them? Is there a cost?
The ship has a cell tower and you can use cell phones anytime... only, check with your carrier about the cost before leaving... mine charged $2.49 extra of what it costs per minute... some carriers charged extra to 'roam' from the ships tower... even the crew members keep their phones off until they come into port...

Oh and what is a customary tip for the person that makes the bed and tends to your needs while in your cabin? I have heard you normally have the same person the entire cruise. I don't wanna be a cheapskate but don't wanna break the bank either - I do assume as with any service type situation, the more generous we are - they better service we'll get :) All the crew members were fantastic... the ones that stand out for me were the waiters and my cabin stewart... keep in mind, that gratuity is automaticly added to everything (including bottled water and sodas - thus the suggestion to bring your own)... as for the cabin stewart, Carnival automatically adds $10 a day extra for them...

When I tried to give the waiter a extra tip, he pulled me to the side and said it's added to the bill and I don't have to tip him... needless to say I was impress and tipped him anyway... the cabin stewart did the same thing...

Now the ship's cruise director said if we wanted to really do something for our staff... we should fill out the comment cards and name names... he said that Carnival used these comments for promotions and pay incentives... (told me this after I tipped)

The suggestion about the extention cord is a good one... if you haven't called the doctor for the non-drowsy motion sickness patch, do so soon... I had them but didn't put it on till we hit the surge from Hurricane Ike... wasted a day trying to recover... :D the ship's doctor passed out dramamine but that made people sleepy...

Have fun...

44INAROW
09-29-2008, 07:13 PM
thanks CHS Grad - I am trying to keep all these special tips in my "short term" memory bank.......... ;)

oh - did you wash any clothes (undies, etc) ?

LHMom
09-29-2008, 09:57 PM
I don't do laundry when we're on the cruise. I just pack extra of everything and worry about laundry when I get home. But my cruise friends from Arkansas always does all their laundry on the last day of the cruise (which is usually a day at sea) and she says it makes the "return to the real world" easier.

CHS_Grad '85
09-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
thanks CHS Grad - I am trying to keep all these special tips in my "short term" memory bank.......... ;)

oh - did you wash any clothes (undies, etc) ? Well, I was supposed to be on a 5 day 4 night cruise... I packed for 7 days... the hurricane extended my stay... so yes, I ended up doing laundry... the washer and dryer were free and the dispensers were $2 for soap but talk to the purser - they'll hook you up for free... :rolleyes: