PDA

View Full Version : Racial slurs

LWFH
09-20-2003, 07:27 PM
It has been reported that racial slurs were flying hot and heavy during the Bridge City - Newton game Friday night. Newton players were complaining to their coaches all night about being called the "n word" on the field. There is no place for that kind of crap on the football field or anywhere else. I am not talking about an isolated instance or particular player either. That would be bad enough, but this reprehensible behavior was allegedly widespread and rampant. What is even worse is that the behavior did not come as a surprise to at least one member of the Newton coaching staff, who told me that they hear that from Bridge City every year.

I don't know about the rest of you, but it makes me sick to hear things like this. When I played high school ball there was one team in our district with a well-deserved reputation for this kind of thing, and there was nobody we liked beating more, in any sport.

I am not saying that every kid on the Bridge City team is guilty, or that the coaching staff or anyone else encourages this. What I am saying is that it should not be tolerated.

Just because you live in east Texas does not mean you have to display that kind of ignorance. I am proud to be from east Texas. Everyone I know up here in Washington knows I am from east Texas. I don't try to hide the fact that I am just a small town redneck, but my red neck did not come with a white hood attached!!

I'll get off my soap box now. Lots more I could say, but this is probably not the right forum.

Bulldog92
09-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Well said buddy...

bluetiger
09-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Doubtful, without proof, there is no bad. This is how rumors get started and such.. Don't start rumors without proof of backing.

cubs
09-20-2003, 09:15 PM
LWFH - It happens more times than I care to think. Was born in ET myself now live north of the Metroplex and believe me - that kind of behavior happens not just where you are. Unfortunately - ignorance is worldwide. Sometimes I think we're going backwards instead of forward. Have to be careful here myself - I could get on my soapbox, too. As for rumors - I teach at an inner-city school and have witnessed it firsthand myself. Well said LWFH.

<small>[ September 20, 2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: cubs ]</small>

slpybear the bullfan
09-20-2003, 09:18 PM
Yup, it happens all the time, and it happens from all races... not just one.

ALLSPORTSGUY
09-20-2003, 09:44 PM
LWFH, I think you are posting from a bad rumor. I can't say someone didn't say this but I think I know these boys way better than you do. I only saw one player get tossed for unsportsman like conduct and it wasn't a BC player. I hear all kinds of weird things that those bad ole BC players or coaches say. You need to come to BC we really don't have a sheet in every closet just to let you in on a secret thats a myth.We have our share of bad apples but for the most part we are a very friendly town who supports our schools in everything not just football.I really don't know why I posted to this topic I will probably regret it later oh well.

cubs
09-20-2003, 09:55 PM
A lot of things get said out there that no one gets tossed for.

Birdman
09-20-2003, 10:03 PM
I was at the game last night. I was not on the field but did not see the first cheap-shot, mouthing, shoving or any other sign of poor sportsmanship from either side. If you are in Washington state, you are using hearsay to smear and entire team and community. The "N" word is not a word that is condoned or tolerated by the coaching staff or faculty in BC. I am not so naive to think that people never use ignorant language but if it were going on "all over the field", BC coaches, referees, and/or Newton coaches would have heard it and reacted to it. Don't throw out irresponsible statements unless you have first-hand proof with the number(s) of the offenders. Newton has an excellent team and will again do well in the play-offs. Good luck against Nacogdoches this week.

espn1
09-20-2003, 11:20 PM
Burnet uses the N word all the Time. They sponsor us. :D :D :D :D

<small>[ September 20, 2003, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: espn1 ]</small>

IBRINGTHEHAT
09-21-2003, 12:46 AM
What is that supposed to mean???

LWFH
09-21-2003, 01:39 AM
First of all, I tried to make it very clear that I am not condemning the entire town of Bridge City, the coaching staff, or the whole team. I am saying that such behavior should not be ignored or excused. I have nothing against Bridge City or any other town represented on this board, and I would hope that the majority of the good people in Bridge City would also be concerned about this type of behavior being linked to their school.

This is a very sensitive subject. I hesitated to bring it up because I knew it would touch a nerve. But I also felt that if I knew about it and did not say something I would be guilty of condoning the behavior. Ignoring the problem won't make it go away. I am not talking about Bridge City here, I am talking about racism in general. If we stand by and listen to ignorant comments and just let them go then we are part of the problem.

Slpybear is right, too. Racism is not limited to any one race, and it is wrong no matter who is practicing it. There are so many facets to this issue and we can't explore the whole problem on this board, but that does not mean we should ignore it when it raises its ugly head.

No, I was not at the game. My "source", however, was on the sidelines. I am not trying to start rumors, either. The fact is, if this is going on it should be stopped. If I did have player's numbers I would never post them on this board. I am not trying to single anyone out for any sort of punishment or trying to embarrass anyone. To me, this is something that should be handled internally, and it is an issue that is best approached through education. After all, aren't our coaches supposed to be educators first.

I am just the messenger here. If you don't like the message, then do something about it.

P.S. - I like that quote, Birdman. I have used it several times since moving to Washington and it always gets a good laugh.

3afan
09-21-2003, 07:53 AM
espn1:
Burnet uses the N word all the Time. They sponsor us. :D :D :D :D huh????

PAINTBALL
09-21-2003, 08:38 AM
espn1:
Burnet uses the N word all the Time. They sponsor us. :D :D :D :D I guess you are trying to be funny. Be carefull. Some people will take this statement as true. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gilmer Buckeye
09-21-2003, 09:20 AM
espn1:
Burnet uses the N word all the Time. They sponsor us. :D :D :D :D For those who don't get the joke, he means "Nike" (I think).

Well, many teams "pale in comparison" to the Buckeyes, especially at the skill positions, and I for one am damned glad of it. I think if you started throwing out racial slurs against them, it'd only make them more determined to beat the crap out of your team.

The saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me" comes to mind.

When I was a kid, I would ask my dad why our team was all-white every time we got beat by the more pigmented crew from Winnsboro (they integrated a few years before Gilmer did).

espn1
09-21-2003, 09:49 AM
NIKE! I can remember when Elgin wouldn't play us because we had a black running back. Look now at the change. I wouldn't let any name calling worry me. Do your talking on the field.

<small>[ September 21, 2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: espn1 ]</small>

Bandera YaYa
09-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Pure ignorance.....if you can't beat someone fair and square in a game, try to beat them down by calling them names...... frown

Backwoods
09-21-2003, 12:32 PM
I'm from Newton. Proud of it. I cannot say for sure if this happened. IF it did it was dumb. Especially in Newton. This team can stand up for itself. It would be like going into a tiger's cage and yanking on his tail. About fourteenth degree of dumb.

Chopblock
09-21-2003, 12:51 PM
espn1:
NIKE! I can remember when Elgin wouldn't play us because we had a black running back. Look now at the change. I wouldn't let any name calling worry me. Do your talking on the field.When did this take place?

<small>[ September 21, 2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Chopblock ]</small>

Pedestrian
09-21-2003, 01:03 PM
I heard this happened. But it did not affect anyone from Newton too terribly bad. Bridge City played hard and had good sportsmanship. LWHF must have been the only one affected by this rumor.

trojandad
09-21-2003, 01:13 PM
We had a black player living in our white home last year, in fact we became his guardians. I heard him tell his teammates once "We aren't going to make it wrong for one race to use the "N" word until we make it wrong for all races to use it". I know the arguments for some people to use it, but I agree with our "son". If we want one race to be colorblind, they all have to be first. It can't be right for a minority player to use a word that any other color kid shouldn't use. Until then, we'll continue to have these posts.

ThaRealBulldog
09-21-2003, 03:30 PM
Come on guys, people will talk trash in football. If you let it get in your head then it worked.

espn1
09-21-2003, 06:28 PM
Chopblock:

espn1:
NIKE! I can remember when Elgin wouldn't play us because we had a black running back. Look now at the change. I wouldn't let any name calling worry me. Do your talking on the field.When did this take place?I'm going to guess around 1965. Burnet was one of the first schools in the area to integrate. He set out that game, and never had to again.

X21AAAPlayer
09-21-2003, 06:38 PM
Even if it did happen.. It probably was one player and not the team. It's amazing how one screw up can make people hate the entire football team and accuse them all of the fault of that one player. I myself played with Bridge City last year and if we even used a single cuss word we would get run into the ground. We never used racial slurs last year at all. We played with class each and every game with the upmost respect for the opponent. Sure you have your trash talking on the line but nothing out of the ordinary and by no means was it racially motivated. So even if this did happen, which I doubt, dont blame the entire team. It was probably just one screw up out of the bunch. They are really good kids raised by good families. Just like any other team.

Bandera YaYa
09-21-2003, 06:40 PM
Hey, there's a HUGE difference in talking trash on the football field and using racial slurs....HUGE!

Chopblock
09-21-2003, 08:01 PM
I phoned the coach from the 1965 team, he is now a sucessful college coach, said he thats a new one on him.
My Dad was also on the school board that during that time in Elgin, said if it happened, he didn't know about it
If it did, it happened almost 40 years ago, why are you trying to raise something from the dead?
Racial slurs should not be tolerated from any race

PAINTBALL
09-21-2003, 08:35 PM
When I played football (1963,64,&65) racial slurs against our black players were very common. Our coach had to warn all of us not to react and get a personal, because that's what the other team was trying to accomplish. The statements made by the Reagan coach both last year and this year were racial slurs on the white players of the Burnet team. His team just had better quality players then Burnet. Everyone knew he meant Black was better then White. This type of slur seems to me to be more common now. eek! eek!

<small>[ September 21, 2003, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: PAINTBALL ]</small>

Bandera YaYa
09-21-2003, 08:38 PM
I agree, racial slurs can come from anywhere....and it's still wrong.

X21AAAPlayer
09-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Bandera YaYa:
Hey, there's a HUGE difference in talking trash on the football field and using racial slurs....HUGE!Yes definitely. What I meant was that our team did trash talk every now and then but who doesn't. We NEVER used racial slurs though. And that's the bottom line.

sphinx1906
09-21-2003, 09:56 PM
allsportsguy, I don't think lwfh was saying anything that is not already known. It is a touchy topic but it happens. That sucks. I watch football games in southeast texas every friday and I know what he is saying is true. He did say it was a touchy topic so don't comment if you don't like what's being talked about. I for one think that racisim is the biggest form of ignorance there is. If it is a black, white, brown, yellow, green or any color athlete whipping your butt then deal with it and work harder. I watched the game friday night and contrary to popular belief the athlete ejected from the game was cheap-shotted in the back three times that I saw and reported this activity and the racial slures to the offical. nothing was done so he retalliated. that wasn't right either but what would you do in his shoes. besides I don't think anyone in red and white wanted any part of him. racism is the lowest form of ignorance so if that is how a player has to be to try to win then I have no respect for them. I am just glad that the best team won.

ALLSPORTSGUY
09-22-2003, 05:27 AM
Sphinx, I do not care if the topic is talked about I still do not think it was said and I also watched the game Friday and your LB was not cheap shotted 3 times that my friend is a false statement you are going off of what someone said.I would have told Barbay the same thing if I thought it would get me off from running till I puked for getting tossed.

<small>[ September 22, 2003, 05:41 AM: Message edited by: ALLSPORTSGUY ]</small>

exbccards76'smom
09-22-2003, 05:51 AM
Just curious when this all happened? I was at the game Friday night and must have missed this ejection. I,also,know that the coaches at BC would not tolerate that kind of behavior. :mad: If anyone said or did anything that was that unsportman's like, they would probably be ran till their tongues were hanging out.

sphinx1906
09-22-2003, 09:00 AM
allsportsguy, the only reason you didn't see the cheap shots was because you didn't want to. I don't care what you think you know, there were some kids saying racial slurs during the game. I still don't think that the lb from Newton was right for retalliating but I don't know what I would have done in that situation. If you think that this info. comes by hearsay then so be it but I know the Lb. for newton would tell COACH Barbay what happened with no hesitation no matter the consequence. You won't find a better kid on any team so don't come in here with that crap.

Matthew328
09-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Ok, I have a feeling this thread may start to take a turn for the worse..so before I have to start ROM'ing people I am gonna just close the topic..we all agree racial slurs are wrong and ignorant..but just becuase one idiot on a team mouths off..it shouldn't be an indictment (sp?) on a whole town, team, or staff...