PDA

View Full Version : Diboll's Greene gives verbal to Penn State

mistanice
09-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Diboll's Nikki Greene, who earlier this summer was ranked No. 28 in the ESPN HoopGurlz 100, a list of top recruits in the nation, has made a verbal commitment to Penn State, picking the Nittany Lions over Texas and Rutgers.

"I've had them in mind for a while and I feel like I made a good connection with the coaches," Greene said. "I visited there and also went to a camp there and I feel like it's the right school for me."

Greene, a 6-5, four-year starter for the Ladyjacks, said she had her choices narrowed down to three earlier this summer.

"I know that Rutgers is a more established program, but I can be a difference maker at Penn State and help them get better and have some success in the NCAA tournament," Greene said.

Greene said she's been receiving letters from colleges since she was in junior high and probably has received more than 2,000 recruiting letters.

"I didn't really start understanding the recruiting stuff until I was a sophomore," Greene said. "It was stressful at times, feeling like you had to please everybody. But I realized I have to take care of myself."

Greene doesn't know the exact number of schools that have contacted her, but says she's heard from everybody from Rice to Rutgers.

Greene said she's excited about the prospect of living and playing at Penn State.

"I'm excited about being in new surroundings and seeing mountains and snow and living in a cooler climate," Greene said. "I'm stepping into the adult part of my life and leaving my young, high school life behind.

"I feel like I can contribute a lot and I'm willing to work hard."

Diboll girls' head basketball coach Laura Knight says the whole process has brought exposure to other players on the team.

"We've gotten a lot of publicity and exposure because of Nikki and more of our seniors will get a chance to play college basketball because they've been seen by a lot of people," Knight said.

Knight said she feels lucky to have been able to coach Greene.

"She's an incredible athlete and she's a hard worker on the court and in the weight room," Knight said. "She's found a program that fits her well and I know she's glad to have the decision made so she can concentrate and play."

Knight said that Greene is also a good student and ranks near the top of her class.

"She's just a special kid and she knows the importance of academics," Knight said.

Greene said that Knight and a couple others have really helped her in the process.

"Coach Knight has been there from day one and gave me input on how to pick the college that's best suited for me," Greene said. "Coach (Emily) Breedlove told me things to expect and to not believe everything I'm told. Miss Donna (James) just told me to play and do what's best for me and to follow my heart. That's what I've done, I followed my heart and my gut feeling."

www.lufkindailynews.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/womens/news/story?id=3609727&campaign=rsssrch&source=espn

JR2004
09-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Congratulations! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Too bad she won't play for UT, but I bet she'll enjoy going up there to Happy Valley.

jimmyceatworld
09-26-2008, 03:26 PM
CONGRATS! I've saw her play twice last year and she's not just height with no game. Fortunately we had a D1 of our own ;) Seriosuly though, that's great for her.

Phil C
09-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Good luck to her. I wish she had gone to UT though. But I am glad she is going North instead of Oklahoma or Arkansas or LSU.

JR2004
09-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Good luck to her. I wish she had gone to UT though. But I am glad she is going North instead of Oklahoma or Arkansas or LSU.

I concur with you on this one Phil!