PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater's Coach Jackson confirms that Big Spring's MLB is indeed the real deal.

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Although Sweetwater and Big Spring haven't played in the same district since both were Class 4A schools during the late 1980s and 1990s, the teams have maintained their rivalry by scheduling several games against each other this decade. This year's Sweetwater-Big Spring game, which will be played at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Mustang Bowl, could be one of the best in the rivalry.
That's because both the Mustangs and Steers are 3-1 and playing excellent football against tough competition.
Sweetwater has beaten Seminole (29-22), Monahans (17-14) and Clyde (24-6) after losing to Burkburnett in its opener.
Big Spring began the year with a 20-14 win over Snyder before suffering its only defeat, 44-37, to Denison. The Steers, whose three wins match their entire total from last year when they finished with a 3-8 record, have since beaten Pampa (43-21) and Andrews (18-6).
Sweetwater controlled time of possession against Clyde with a whopping 76-32 advantage in plays run, allowing the Mustangs to keep the ball over 37 minutes while Clyde had possession for slightly over 10 minutes. Sweetwater was helped by five turnovers, the first two of which the Mustangs converted into points in jumping out to a 12-0 halftime lead.
Big Spring relied on the running of ace back Monte Anderson to beat Andrews last week. Anderson gained 173 yards on 26 carries, including all three of his team's touchdowns. Overall, he has rushed for 443 yards on 72 attempts — a 6.2 average — with seven scores. And quarterback Matt Ritchey has completed 33 of 53 passes (62 percent) for 532 yards and three TDs.
The Big Spring defense is led by linebacker Cade Hollands-worth, who recorded 28 tackles against Snyder.
Sweetwater coach Kent Jackson said Wednesday that Hollandsworth is "one of the best high school linebackers I have seen play" and also had praise for several other players including Ritchey, receiver Sid-ney Parker (nine catches) and Anderson, who he called "the best running back we've seen."
Big Spring can run either a spread offense or go to an 'I' formation, Jackson said.
"That's what makes them so dangerous; they can beat you a lot of ways," he said. "They can go the distance on a lot of plays in a hurry, and they really stretch the field.
"Without a doubt, we want to limit the number of chances they have. I think how sharp and exacting our offense is will be a big key to the ballgame."
Though Sweetwater's defense has played well all year, getting turnovers had been rare until last week.
Keifer Adamez, Jeremy Barnes, Bo Bugarin and Ken-neth Norman all recovered fumbles in the game and A.J. McCoy had an interception that ended a Clyde threat just before halftime.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/112714/122/

kepdawg
09-26-2008, 11:27 AM
28 tackles against Snyder! :eek:

No wonder they think he's an All-American!

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
28 tackles against Snyder! :eek:

No wonder they think he's an All-American!

That's what I was thinking. Big Spring might have sent that
game tape to Coach Jackson and that's why he's giving him such
high praise.:D

DUKE22
09-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
That's what I was thinking. Big Spring might have sent that
game tape to Coach Jackson and that's why he's giving him such
high praise.:D You guys may not have a problem with him and then again you might. In my opinion he is legit. We have some pretty good O lineman and he seemed to be the only player on the field for them. The thing was is that he had about 10 tackles that were highlight hits in the hole that were really amazing to watch especially on film. Good luck to you guys.

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
You guys may not have a problem with him and then again you might. In my opinion he is legit. We have some pretty good O lineman and he seemed to be the only player on the field for them. The thing was is that he had about 10 tackles that were highlight hits in the hole that were really amazing to watch especially on film. Good luck to you guys.

Thanks. I can't wait to see how him and our #24 matchup.

swstangs001
09-26-2008, 04:48 PM
so this has all the makings of a defensive battle :thinking:

Sweetwater Red
09-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by swstangs001
so this has all the makings of a defensive battle :thinking:

Yep, which means the final score will be 56-49.:D