PDA

View Full Version : Jasper player Big 12 Defensive POTW!!!

JasperDog94
09-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Weatherspoon may be playing on Sundays!:)

Link (http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/sports/local/former_jasper_player_named_big_12_defensive_player _of_the_week_09-25-2008.html)

Former Jasper player named Big 12 defensive player of the week
By ASSOCIATED PRESS
September, 25, 2008

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) - Missouri junior linebacker Sean Weatherspoon is racking up so many tackles he sometimes loses count.

He had no idea how many he had Saturday when No. 6 Missouri beat Buffalo 42-21. For the record, it was 20, earning Weatherspoon honors as Big 12 defensive player of the week.

That gives the linebacker 48 for the season - the most in the Big 12 and tied for second nationally. Eight of the tackles have been for a loss. He has three interceptions and returned two of them for touchdowns.

Not that he's satisfied. The Tigers (4-0) have a bye this week as they prepare for their Big 12 opener on Oct. 4 at Nebraska, and Weatherspoon said both he and his defensive teammates have plenty to work on. After all, Missouri hasn't won at Nebraska in 30 years.

``We don't take winning for granted but we still need to fix the little things,'' he said after the win over Buffalo. ``I was just trying to make some plays for the team and I know I know I missed a few tackles so I need to work on that.''

Teammate and fellow linebacker Brock Christopher said Weatherspoon is fun to watch.

``He's an animal and makes all kinds of plays and makes guys helmets come off,'' Christopher said.

Weatherspoon has been giving an earful to teammates about his accomplishments - especially Missouri's defensive backs.

``You can probably hear him talking from over near the dorms,'' quarterback Chase Daniel said. ``His goal for this season was six interceptions and he is already halfway there and he lets the defensive backs hear about it, too.''

Last season was Weatherspoon's first as a starter, and coach Gary Pinkel said he's come a long way.

``He eventually turned into an All-Big 12 linebacker but his maturity when he came in and how hard he worked every week was visible,'' Pinkel said. ``He was a better player each month and became one of our best defensive players going from being an average player to a good player to being a great player by the time the (Big 12) championship game came around.''

Weatherspoon's play has been a bright spot on a defense that has shown improvement since a near-horrific start, giving up more than 500 yards and 42 points in the season-opening 52-42 win over Illinois.

Since then, the defense has moved from near the bottom nationally to the middle of the pack at No. 78. Fortunately for Missouri, the offense is averaging nearly 54 points per game.

Teammates and coaches say Weatherspoon's boisterous brand of rallying the troops is integral in that steady progression of the defense.

"He is a great kid a great leader and is a lot of high energy,'' Pinkel said. ``He's a good student and a great guy.''

j_dog
09-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Way to go Spoon!!!!! :clap:

Pudlugger
09-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Saw him play against Illinois. He was very impressive. I am an alumnus of MU med school in Columbia. They really love their football up there. It is wonderful to know some of our 3a boys are doing such great things. I know Jasper folks fell very proud as they should.

44INAROW
09-25-2008, 10:56 PM
CONGRATS to Sean - MIZZOU is lucky to have some talented Texas boys on their team........ I hope he continues to have much success on and off the field!

kepdawg
09-25-2008, 11:09 PM
It would be so nice if Jasper had a player like Spoon right now!

j_dog
09-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
It would be so nice if Jasper had a player like Spoon right now!
We probably do have a player like Spoon right now. We just do not yet know who he is! :)