PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City Back To Big Red Business

setxsports
09-25-2008, 05:48 PM
www.orangeleader.com

BC back to Big Red business

Gabriel Pruett
The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — Cris Stump looked over 45 of his Bridge City Cardinals Thursday morning and was very pleased to see them talking.

Usually a coach would scream and yell for players to quiet down and get ready to pay attention.

Not on Thursday and not in Bridge City.

“They have not been able to sit around and shoot the bull with their buddies for two weeks,” Stump said. “This is good for all of us.”

The streets of Bridge City are still cluttered with debris from Hurricane Ike which struck almost two weeks ago.

In those short two weeks stories have been told and pictures have been taken of the damage done in this small town.

Football is now a release for the players, coaches and soon the fans of the Cardinals.

“I have had a lot of people from the school administration all the way down calling when the team would get going,” Stump said. “The city is waiting to get back to some kind of normalcy. It will be good not only for the community but for the kids too. People really don’t know how bad Bridge City got hit until they drive down these streets.”

After speaking to his players inside the Bridge City weight room Stump sent the team to the practice field in shorts and T-shirts.

While the players warmed up Stump got a call and soon announced the Cardinals would travel to Huntington for a game next Friday at 7:30 p.m.

Senior Blake Snyder is ready to take the field.

“There was a point where I thought this season would be over,” Snyder said. “I thought I would have to switch schools or transfer. It’s great to still be a Bridge City Cardinal.”

Snyder is one of the many Cardinals who had flood waters race into his home. He said his family estimates their house took in two-and-a-half to three-feet of water.

“I have been working on the house every day,” Snyder said. “It will be great to play a little football. Nothing will be better than to get back to normal. Everyone in Bridge City knows what each other is going through. It is not just one person.”

The Cardinals will enter the Huntington game with a 1-1 mark with an opening win against Liberty and a loss against Kountze.

Junior Joe Robertson was on a tear through the first two games with 191 yards on the ground and three touchdowns. Robertson also had a receiving touchdown on two receptions.

Josh Lemoine has thrown for 301 yards and five touchdowns with just one interception. Cory Moseley and Luke Rhodes each have four catches. Moseley has two scores while Jerry Landry also has two touchdowns on three receptions.

The Cardinals are averaging 309 yards of offense a game.

“It just makes me feel good to see these guys,” Stump said. “The kids wanted to practice. I know my daughter (Maggie) can gripe sometimes about volleyball practice yet she was ready to practice through all this.”

Snyder agreed with his coach it was time to get back to work.

“It feels great to be out here,” Snyder added. “It is a way to get away from everything and the hours you have to put in to cleaning up your home. I really imagine this will bring us closer together as a team.”

pirate4state
09-25-2008, 06:12 PM
This is GREAT news!!! So glad to hear it. Coach is right...sometimes you just need to feel "normal" again and there is nothing more normal than HS FOOTBALL!! :)

Good Luck to the Cardinals!

Ranger Mom
09-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Good luck to the Cardinals!!

Hurricane Ike has made me fan and I will be rooting for you!!

nunya
09-25-2008, 07:21 PM
I truly hope this inspires great things for BC. Good luck, Cards!

Who-dun-it!!?
09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
I was in Beaumont during the Hurricane waiting for emergency response. I saw first hand the devistation left behind by Ike. Hope Bridge City has an awsome year in every sport. Its a great community full of great people. God Bless!