PDA

View Full Version : What Determines Which Offense a Team Runs?

Bullaholic
09-25-2008, 09:57 AM
What factor is most important in determining which offense a given team runs? Coach's familarity and history? Available player talent? Team history?

I often wonder what the reactions are in schools that change coaching staffs and go from say a pass-happy spread offense to a slot-T or vice-versa? Does winning cure all, or is there still a backlash if a team has built a reputation for running a certain type of offense?

ziggy29
09-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I would say it's mostly the coach and what they feel best about running. Sometimes a coach will adapt to the talent they have available to them, but for the most part, a coach knows what offense they want to run.

If a pass-happy team hires a coach that is known for running the Slot-T, they'd better accept that the team will probably run the Slot-T next year. Why would you hire a coach known for running a particular offense if you weren't willing to run that offense?

Bearkat
09-25-2008, 10:03 AM
I think it's determined by the coach's preference and athlete ability, with athlete ability being the most important.

CenTexSports
09-25-2008, 10:10 AM
90 percent coach

10 percent players coming up through the system.

I think most systems in stable programs are developed so that the kids can begin adapting in the 7 grade. BUT if a coach sees a couple of classes coming up that don't have the talent or have extra size or talent that would work better with a different system then they make the change.

Two examples:

Rogers this year: LH OC moves there and installs his system (everybody knows what this systems is) even though all the kids have come through the grades running the spread. A coach driven change. No problem and probalbly a great move for the team.

Cameron with Billy Pittman: They ran a system that was geared to his skills and when he left they moved to a system that was geared more to the upcoming talent. This is an example of both.

Bullaholic
09-25-2008, 10:14 AM
These are not highschool examples, but they 2 of the most striking that I can think of:

Bill Callahan's implementation of the West-Coast "O" at "3-yards-and-a-cloud-of dust" forever Nebraska.

Paul Johnson's triple-option at Georgia Tech.

Bearkat
09-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports

Cameron with Billy Pittman: They ran a system that was geared to his skills and when he left they moved to a system that was geared more to the upcoming talent. This is an example of both.

Here's another Cameron example.

Cameron under Coach Todd Dodge: Coach Dodge came to Cameron and put in his spread offense but the players at Cameron, at the time, were not a good fit for this system.

kaorder1999
09-25-2008, 10:23 AM
this is my take on it. It doesnt matter what you run if you dont have the players....

At the same time...you have to have the right coaches on staff to make an offense work. Not just the head coach....

easttexas3a
09-25-2008, 11:04 AM
In Jacksonville Texas Coach Danny Long came in with a pro formation, multiple I type offense. He then was given the gift of 3 brothers at qb, the McCown Brothers, with Randy the first one he still used most of his pro I stuff, double tight ends some, by the time Josh was there he had evolved into a pro I team that used a lot of the west Coast style of Offense, and also he started to use more gun formations. Then when Luke was there the offense had almost fully evolved into a spread offense. I think some coaches are more apt to change then others, not to mention when you have two pro quaterbacks and one other who went to A&m come through you have lots of options.

GreenMonster
09-25-2008, 12:18 PM
I think you run what the coaches are most familiar with and try to mold it to fit the kids you have. Every offense is flexible. They have to be because of the wide array of defenses that people use to stop them. It isn't nearly as hard as what people think to mold an offense to fit the needs of your talent. Like KA stated though, it doesn't really matter what you run if you don't have athletes just like it doesn't matter what you run if you do have athletes. There is no magic bullet. Every offense is built to have success. If you have talent then everything works and if you have none then nothing works.

Silverback 04
09-25-2008, 01:25 PM
Obvious in LH. You could have Jesus Christ himself move in and Vance would make him a slot back. Of course, he'd gain 2500 yards and score 30 TD's. But I would say elsewhere, you'd probably see a change in offense to fit the talent.

CenTexSports
09-25-2008, 01:33 PM
I disagree, I think he would play defense.

aggie
09-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
Here's another Cameron example.

Cameron under Coach Todd Dodge: Coach Dodge came to Cameron and put in his spread offense but the players at Cameron, at the time, were not a good fit for this system.

that is the understatement of the year :)

Silverback 04
09-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I disagree, I think he would play defense.

Dad gummit, good idea, why didn't i think of that. Lets see the Wood throw over that corner!

JR2004
09-25-2008, 03:13 PM
At Madison our offense is not determined by the players available, that's for sure.