PDA

View Full Version : Music Thread

Bullaholic
09-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Been a while since we've heard from everybody about their music tastes---Currently, I'm in a "ballad" mood---

Aerosmith- "I Don't Want To Miss a Thing" followed by several tracks off the "Monster Ballads of the 80's"---maybe a little Tejano or Latin later---Marco Antonio Solis- "Si No Te Hubieras Ido", Fama, and Selena---finish with a little Dire Straits, SRV, and ZZ Top---I'm eclectic when it comes to my music.

I know none of you young bucks have heard of any of these, but you've got to remember I was in my 40's when the Monster Ballads of the 80's were hits---:D

carter08
09-24-2008, 08:22 PM
been listening to these bands lately:

radiohead
bright eyes
the shins
belle and sebastian
iron and wine

Trashman
09-24-2008, 09:56 PM
At this minute I am listening to Load Out/Stay by Jackson Brown. Hate his politics but love his music. Mostly listen to BTO, ELO, Atlanta Rythm Section, Skynyrd, Steve Miller, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Bob Seger, and Blondie.

IHStangFan
09-24-2008, 10:00 PM
I like all sorts of music...but have found myself drawn to old country & the re-emergence of "honky tonk" in the last year or two....i.e.

Faron Young
Roger Miller
Mel Tillis
Waylon Jennings
Ray Price
Merle Haggard
Johnny Cash
Charlie Pride
etc.

As far as the "honky tonk":
Justin Trevino
Jake Hooker
Bobby Flores
etc.

44INAROW
09-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by carter08
been listening to these bands lately:

radiohead
bright eyes
the shins
belle and sebastian
iron and wine

my age is catching up with me.. I have heard of Radiohead but never heard their music - other than that - totally clueless :doh:

I listend to "Classic Rock" mostly - at work I listen to KZEPFM 104.5 out of San Antonio and BOBFM 103.5 out of Austin.. Love Jackson Browne, Bon Jovi, Boston, Eric Clapton, Omar and the Howlers, "old Eagles", Aerosmith (circa 1974-78) and yesterday listened to a bunch of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow but I also like Texas Country. Depends on what kind of mood I am in or what I am doing ;)

(we saw Aerosmith in some DIVE joint in Houston in 1974 - had a blast and the music was excellent - I better not elaborate anymore about that night :D )

LH Panther Mom
09-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
my age is catching up with me.. I have heard of Radiohead but never heard their music - other than that - totally clueless :doh:
Radiohead got bright eyes after getting kicked on the shins. Belle and Sebastian had to iron their shirts and drink some wine. ;) (Same here, 44. I'm completely clueless.)

CHS_89
09-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Right now I have Metallica's new CD running continuously in my car. I also listen to Dwight Yoakum and Diamond Rio religiously. Classic rock is good stuff, but when you've played it on stage for 10+ years like me, it gets old. If I had a dollar for every time I've played Smoke on the Water, Sweet Home Alabama, or Margaritaville, we could all retire, lol!!!!

44INAROW
09-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by CHS_89
Right now I have Metallica's new CD running continuously in my car. I also listen to Dwight Yoakum and Diamond Rio religiously. Classic rock is good stuff, but when you've played it on stage for 10+ years like me, it gets old. If I had a dollar for every time I've played Smoke on the Water, Sweet Home Alabama, or Margaritaville, we could all retire, lol!!!!

Are you familiar with ZZ Top's "Chevrolet"? That was my favorite song when I was about 16 :D There was a band we used to follow all over south and central Texas - "Navasota", they played with "Honest John" alot back in the mid 70's. Those guys could "rock the house" :cool:

Bullaholic
09-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Are you familiar with ZZ Top's "Chevrolet"? That was my favorite song when I was about 16 :D There was a band we used to follow all over south and central Texas - "Navasota", they played with "Honest John" alot back in the mid 70's. Those guys could "rock the house" :cool:

You're not one of the gals in ZZ Top's "Legs" video are you. 44? :D

CHS_89
09-25-2008, 10:09 AM

I am familiar with ZZ. Love em! I'll share a story with ya. I actually worked with the drummers sister in a large company back in the day. She had pics of him on stage with ZZ at her desk and she knew I played music with bands, etc. One day, I walk into the cafeteria, and there he is sitting with her eating lunch. She motioned me over to eat lunch with them. What a treat!! He was way cool to talk to.

Pick6
09-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Natalie Grant
Krystal Meyers
Group 1 Crew

And waiting on Maggie Erickson to finish her 1st CD

44INAROW
09-25-2008, 10:35 AM
I am familiar with ZZ. Love em! I'll share a story with ya. I actually worked with the drummers sister in a large company back in the day. She had pics of him on stage with ZZ at her desk and she knew I played music with bands, etc. One day, I walk into the cafeteria, and there he is sitting with her eating lunch. She motioned me over to eat lunch with them. What a treat!! He was way cool to talk to.

Cool story........ I bet you talked the entire lunch hour instead of eating :D we saw ZZ Top at Sun Valley in Victoria - Feb 1973 they were just starting to get popular..... Canned Heat opened for them..... I am really showing my age now..........

Originally posted by Bullaholic
You're not one of the gals in ZZ Top's "Legs" video are you. 44? :D

I might have been able to pull that off in the 70's :D :D but I have vivid memories of listening to "Tres Hombres" 8 TRACK - over and over............ Balanese, Mexican Blackbird........ on and on - what a flood of memories...........

pirate4state
09-25-2008, 12:02 PM
I listen to different kinds of music. Most days I am listening to Lithium (grunge station on Sirius) and/or Octane (another station on Sirius).

I recently purchased the new Slipknot CD - awesome - and have been listening to that quite a bit.

I have a few Texas Country cds I always listen to...I need to buy the new Randy Rogers.

CHS_89 - how is the new Metallica CD? I heard their new song on the radio the other day and was somewhat disappointed. I've always been a fan of Metallica, but the last album I really liked was "Metallica" and my all time favorite is "Master of Puppets."

BreckTxLonghorn
09-25-2008, 12:18 PM
All of these are great CDs beginning to end:

Kings of Leon
Robert Plant/Alison Krauss
Vampire Weekend
Band of Heathens

This list will probably increase after ACL this weekend.

CHS_89
09-25-2008, 01:35 PM
P4S,

This album is has been the #1 album in the world for two weeks running.

I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Hetfields voice is starting to show wear. Hammet actually plays guitar solo's vs. no solos on St. Anger. Lars' drumming is good. The snare drum is tightened down on this album and the cymbals don't dominate like they did in St. Anger. The new bass player shows his influence on the album from his days with Suicidal Tendencies.

I'd say the album is a cross between And Justice For All and the Black Album. Heavy drums, ear catching riffs, killer solo's.

The song you heard on the radio is probably "the day that never comes" which is in my OP the weakest on the album. You gotta get this album for the songs "broken, beat and scarred", "all nightmare long", and "cyanide". They rock!!

The one thing I love about the album is the elimination of the songs that go intro, verse, pre-chorus, solo, over and over and over. They break into some stuff that comes out of nowhere leaving the album interesting.

How's that for a review? LOL!! BTW, if you want a preview go to Youtube and search " Metallica Death Magnetic 10 Song Preview" then click on the link. Not a video, just previews of the songs.

pirate4state
09-25-2008, 01:43 PM
P4S,

This album is has been the #1 album in the world for two weeks running.

I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Hetfields voice is starting to show wear. Hammet actually plays guitar solo's vs. no solos on St. Anger. Lars' drumming is good. The snare drum is tightened down on this album and the cymbals don't dominate like they did in St. Anger. The new bass player shows his influence on the album from his days with Suicidal Tendencies.

I'd say the album is a cross between And Justice For All and the Black Album. Heavy drums, ear catching riffs, killer solo's.

The song you heard on the radio is probably "the day that never comes" which is in my OP the weakest on the album. You gotta get this album for the songs "broken, beat and scarred", "all nightmare long", and "cyanide". They rock!!

The one thing I love about the album is the elimination of the songs that go intro, verse, pre-chorus, solo, over and over and over. They break into some stuff that comes out of nowhere leaving the album interesting.

How's that for a review? LOL!! BTW, if you want a preview go to Youtube and search " Metallica Death Magnetic 10 Song Preview" then click on the link. Not a video, just previews of the songs.

Sweet! I'll have to check it out! Thanks for the review. :D

CHS_89
09-25-2008, 01:49 PM
No prob! Enjoy:)

pirate4state
09-25-2008, 01:50 PM
No prob! Enjoy:) I just did! Very nice. :clap:

Maroon87
09-25-2008, 03:20 PM
I downloaded a few new Metallica songs. I like these better than the ones from St. Anger. I've also been listening to the new Roger Creager CD.

trojan37
09-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Old Slipknot.