PDA

View Full Version : anyone here have damage to their house from ike?

charlesrixey
09-24-2008, 06:03 PM
i don't think i mentioned it on the DL, but my dad (Longview) had his 80-foot oak fall onto his house, taking out the top half of the western half of his house--turns out he was one of the worst (randomly) affected houses in east texas!

:( :eek:

my wife's cousin and wife haven't yet returned to Galveston to see what is left of their condo!

definately praying they were among the lucky ones---but the news cameras are showing some scary stuff!

BreckTxLonghorn
09-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
i don't think i mentioned it on the DL, but my dad (Longview) had his 80-foot oak fall onto his house, taking out the top half of the western half of his house--turns out he was one of the worst (randomly) affected houses in east texas!

:( :eek:

my wife's cousin and wife haven't yet returned to Galveston to see what is left of their condo!

definately praying they were among the lucky ones---but the news cameras are showing some scary stuff!

My mom's cousin lost everything in Galveston. Been a rough year for him...

Necks_Fan
09-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Tree fell on our house... not bad damage though... house was built well.

44INAROW
09-24-2008, 08:23 PM
I just found out a good friend of ours (and fellow downlow poster's) daughter who goes to grad school in Galveston was finally allowed to go inspect her apartment today - She was blessed - the apt has obvious signs of water damage around the windows and mold and mildew were growing, still no power but her belongings and clothes etc were OK. Thank God - I think the uncertainty of the condition of her stuff has caused an unbelievable amount of stress.

Rixey -I am so sorry about your dad's home. It is amazing that the destruction isn't just at the coastal areas. We've had alot of claims from our customers in the NW and NE Harris County area as well as Montgomery County.. A few customers in Huntsville and Nach too. :eek: :( :( To make matters worse, alot of the major claims offices themselves sustained major damage and no power and so that is hindering the claims processes as well....... God Bless all those affected. Mr44 and a few of the booster members have been manning the Booster Club trailer all week long as the Booster Club and CISD is/are collecting food for the San Antonio Food Bank - they'll be collecting until tomorrow (Thursday) evening and I think he's going to pull the trailer to SA Friday. It's a small contribution but every little bit helps. The Food Banks, Blood Banks, Red Cross and Salvation Army are all running low on supplies, volunteers and money. Any help anyone can be - whether it's monetary, food, or manual labor - I know is greatly appreciated. And you know what, it makes you feel good to help those in need. You never know when you or your family is going to be in that situation of needing a helping hand....... We've been there and we try to help when we can. Sorry to make this so long......... Again, I hope your dad is able to make a full recovery....... and Breck, hope and pray your mom's cousin is OK :) Necksfan - thank heavens the house was built sturdy - I think people are realizing the tough building codes are a GOOD THING!!!!

rockdale80
09-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I just found out a good friend of ours (and fellow downlow poster's) daughter who goes to grad school in Galveston was finally allowed to go inspect her apartment today - She was blessed - the apt has obvious signs of water damage around the windows and mold and mildew were growing, still no power but her belongings and clothes etc were OK. Thank God - I think the uncertainty of the condition of her stuff has caused an unbelievable amount of stress.

Rixey -I am so sorry about your dad's home. It is amazing that the destruction isn't just at the coastal areas. We've had alot of claims from our customers in the NW and NE Harris County area as well as Montgomery County.. A few customers in Huntsville and Nach too. :eek: :( :( To make matters worse, alot of the major claims offices themselves sustained major damage and no power and so that is hindering the claims processes as well....... God Bless all those affected. Mr44 and a few of the booster members have been manning the Booster Club trailer all week long as the Booster Club and CISD is/are collecting food for the San Antonio Food Bank - they'll be collecting until tomorrow (Thursday) evening and I think he's going to pull the trailer to SA Friday. It's a small contribution but every little bit helps. The Food Banks, Blood Banks, Red Cross and Salvation Army are all running low on supplies, volunteers and money. Any help anyone can be - whether it's monetary, food, or manual labor - I know is greatly appreciated. And you know what, it makes you feel good to help those in need. You never know when you or your family is going to be in that situation of needing a helping hand....... We've been there and we try to help when we can. Sorry to make this so long......... Again, I hope your dad is able to make a full recovery....... and Breck, hope and pray your mom's cousin is OK :) Necksfan - thank heavens the house was built sturdy - I think people are realizing the tough building codes are a GOOD THING!!!!

Ike caused flooding in several inland states and caused tremendous amounts of damage their as well.

44INAROW
09-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Ike caused flooding in several inland states and caused tremendous amounts of damage their as well.
I know - saw where Missouri and Ohio had lots of flooding - they were already saturated and Ike didn't help any. talked to a lady in Alexandra LA a couple of weeks ago and they got 17 inches of rain from Gustauv. that's alot of rain........ I hope the weather gives everyone a break for a while......

shankbear
09-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Well my house was fine, high and dry but my office in downtown Orange was flooded. I lost another office during Rita and Humberto also dropped a giant pecan tree on my now-gutted place.

A lot of 3ADL members are from Bridge City. That town is 95% devastated. Out of 32oo houses only 15 didn't have water in them. Go look at pictures on www.kogt.com .

pirate4state
09-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Well my house was fine, high and dry but my office in downtown Orange was flooded. I lost another office during Rita and Humberto also dropped a giant pecan tree on my now-gutted place.

A lot of 3ADL members are from Bridge City. That town is 95% devastated. Out of 32oo houses only 15 didn't have water in them. Go look at pictures on www.kogt.com .

Seen those pictures. :( Just a terrible tragedy for all our fellow Texans.

JR2004
09-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I have a friend that lives down in Pearland and her house escaped major damage. She sent me a text about five minutes ago to tell me she just now got her electricity back.

trojan37
09-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Here's a cool photo slideshow from a stormchaser that went down to Galveston to chase Ike. The damage is unreal.

Ike damage in Galveston (http://texastailchaser.com/chases/Hurricanes/Ike/album/)