PDA

View Full Version : Robstown Coach Accused Of Assaulting Two Players

Maroon87
09-24-2008, 10:55 AM
From the 4A board...

ROBSTOWN - A Robstown High School football coach has been accused of assaulting two players and is now suspected.

Two players, a 15 and 18-year-old, filed charges against the coach claiming he shoved them to the ground after the Robstown-Rockport game on Sept. 9.

Robstown ISD school officials said the recent game against Rockport did not go well and the team lost. The two players claimed they were assaulted in the locker room by Coach Ronnie Castaneda.

"We have investigated the incident and found that there was unprofessional conduct on behalf of our coach," Superintendent Dr. Roberto Garcia said.

The teens told police they made comments about quitting the team and got into a vulgar argument with their coach. The 15-year-old player told investigators Castaneda pushed him after he cursed at him.

"The other one tried to get in between the student and the coach to try and stop this incident from escalating," Garcia said.

That is when investigators said Castaneda shoved 18-year-old Santiago Bayardo.

"I think this teacher, in this situation, personalized a negative reaction from the student and that should not have occurred," Garcia added. "As superintendent, I'm disappointed that we have a professional person that is acting in an unprofessional manner."

Garcia said the students were not hurt, but Castaneda has been reprimanded, even though he has not admitted the incident even occurred.

KRIS 6 News tried to contact Castaneda, but he did not return the call.

Castaneda is also a special education teacher and has returned to work after a three-day suspension. He was also suspended from taking part in any athletic activities for two weeks. The complaints against him have been turned over to the municipal court.

Emerson1
09-24-2008, 12:19 PM
Kids need to suck it up

bulldog64
09-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Yes kids need to suck it up, but who`s the adult here? Like you said, kids.

Global Swarming
09-24-2008, 01:52 PM
It's about time they hit somebody in Robstown.

onsideanytime
09-24-2008, 02:13 PM
kids probably deserved it, that is the problem these days kids cant take a butt chewin, so they jump up in adults face, then they wine when they get dealt with, just say yes sir and no sir

Bull19
09-24-2008, 02:17 PM
coach is way outa line. no matter what a kid says, does, the coach(adult) needs to keep his head on straight and make good decisions no matter what. obviously this coach did not make a good decision

44INAROW
09-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Global Swarming
It's about time they hit somebody in Robstown.
OMG - I just spit tea all over my screen............ :p :p :p

Gobbler Fan
09-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Well thats just great now he is back to teaching Special Ed kids ... :doh: :vrycnfsd: anyone else find this disturbing ?

Antec
09-24-2008, 03:52 PM
I heard a similar incident happened in Wharton with coaches jumpiing on the kids and pulling on their shoulder pads

This happened all the times in the 1970s in high school practices and games/

Parents need to get a grip and let coaches take charge of the kids

Sometimes talking or yelling doesnt help

Bull19
09-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Antec
I heard a similar incident happened in Wharton with coaches jumpiing on the kids and pulling on their shoulder pads

This happened all the times in the 1970s in high school practices and games/

Parents need to get a grip and let coaches take charge of the kids

Sometimes talking or yelling doesnt help their a difference between grabbing shoulder pads and throwing a kid, much less two to the ground

BobcatBenny
09-24-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Well thats just great now he is back to teaching Special Ed kids ... :doh: :vrycnfsd: anyone else find this disturbing ?
I do not find it disturbing. Seems like appropriate discipline was doled out to the coach.

Fortunately for him he is not under the same zero tolerance stupidy that the students are under.

Global Swarming
09-24-2008, 06:46 PM
That's pretty sad when your coach is the leading tackler on the team.

Necks_Fan
09-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Shoulda taped it and put it on PPV. Coulda made bug bucks. $$$$

I would have payed to see this.

Trashman
09-24-2008, 07:30 PM
The teens told police they made comments about quitting the team and got into a vulgar argument with their coach. The 15-year-old player told investigators Castaneda pushed him after he cursed at him.

If I understand this correctly the students cursed the coach and then the coach pushed them? If so; the students should have been suspended as well.:mad:

hsfootballfan
09-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan

If these allegations are true, then I find it VERY disturbing that this person is responsible for special ed children. Anyone who either teaches special ed or has a special needs child knows that PATIENCE is the number-one quality that a parent/teacher needs. Doesn't sound like this guy knows how to act rationally under pressure. Of course, I wasn't there and don't know what really happened or what was said, but reading that he is back in his classroom full of vulnerable kids raises a major red flag for me.

wimbo_pro
09-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Pushing kids to the ground is wrong and is considered assault. Everyone knows it...especially teachers/coaches who are required to know the law. For whatever reason...it doesnt matter what it is...you CAN NOT push kids to the ground. Fair or not, its the law. He will pay the price, if this is true.

Global Swarming
09-24-2008, 08:06 PM
Yeah but I doubt the special ed kids talk to him the way those little snot nose kids did.

popcorn screen
09-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Robstown is and always will be a baseball school. Coach was way out of line and should be suspended with pay, investigation, then agreement to leave. If what is said is true. Under no circumstances should an adult educator act in that manner. :thmbdwn:

Chillimaru
09-25-2008, 01:54 AM
First of all if one of my kids got up in a coaches face i would be puttig him on hie butt myself cant say that i would want a coach doing it though Robstown can not be a good place to coach at, he probaly got onto the kids, just like all other coaches do but this 1 kid got in his face and he probably lost it. Coaches have to demand respect from all of their players if 1 gets away with all will try it out on him, imyself would sent him on the bench atleast 2-3 games and he would have to do about 5000 greenbays every day.all that said he already lost his credibilty and should move on

bulldog64
09-25-2008, 03:44 PM
I`m betting the sequence of events didn`t occur quite the way the kids explained it either. I`m sure Lil` Johhny threw some $&%)#)*%#)%)#*#`s in there up in his face and it went downhill from there. That isn`t defending the coach, he was wrong as well.

UPanIN
09-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Kid - :foul:

Coach - :flaming:

Kid - :stirpot: :tisk:

Coach - :crazy1:

Kid- :helpme:

Locker room - :1popcorn:

Kid- Mommy Mommy Mommy guess what the big bad coach did to me.:weeping:

wimbo_pro
09-25-2008, 06:17 PM
We need a Smiley wearing prison stripes.