PDA

View Full Version : BCS Applied To Highschool Playoffs?

Bullaholic
09-24-2008, 09:32 AM
What would happen if a BCS type rating system was applied to the highschool playoffs? Would it even be feasible?

Would you end up with the best teams playing each other in the larger venues regardless of Division, Region, and Districts?

I haven't even thought about this one much---I'm just tossing it out there for discussion---so please don't brand me brain-dead for posing the question.

crzyjournalist03
09-24-2008, 09:35 AM
First of all, where would you get polls from? Ther are really very few reputable polls out there. Secondly, who's going to monitor all the computer implications? Thirdly, why would high schools go from getting multiple playoff games as long as they win to only having one, regardless of win or lose?

NastySlot
09-24-2008, 09:35 AM
would we then have one true state champion per classification or would we still have two champions...and still have the debate as to if the DI champ could beat the DII champ or the other way around?

jimmyceatworld
09-24-2008, 09:48 AM
BCS would be chaotic.

IMO UIL should only have two teams make the playoffs from each district and do away with the divisions. I know that would mean some good teams won't make the post season, but it also means some bad ones won't either and it would make getting into the playoffs actually difficult. And of course there would only be one champion.

BobcatBenny
09-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
...and still have the debate as to if the DI champ could beat the DII champ or the other way around?
Oh come on, there is not much of a debate there! Usually the dominate team ends up in DII. It is more of a number of teams probability than an enrollment size issue. ;)

3afan
09-24-2008, 09:56 AM
thats how they do it in Virginia -- you can win your district and not make the playoffs

ziggy29
09-24-2008, 10:34 AM
That would be a travesty.

Polls are fun to talk about and debate over, but polls are no substitute for determining who is "number one" on the field. And no team should be denied a chance to compete for the championship ONLY because they started the season ranked too low (or even totally unranked).

Bullaholic
09-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by ziggy29
That would be a travesty.

Polls are fun to talk about and debate over, but polls are no substitute for determining who is "number one" on the field. And no team should be denied a chance to compete for the championship ONLY because they started the season ranked too low (or even totally unranked).

I think you would have to employ the current district playoff winner system up to the playoffs when a "seeding" system could be implemented---much like the NCAA. Maybe that would prevent the complaint of good teams "knocking off" each other early in the playoffs.