PDA

View Full Version : Clemens upset by Yankee snub

Maroon87
09-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Clemens 'heartbroken' by snub

As Yankee hero after Yankee hero jogged out onto the field Sunday night prior to the final game at Yankee Stadium to cheers of a capacity crowd, Roger Clemens sat at home in hurricane-ravaged Texas, in front of a battery-operated television on his living room couch, "heartbroken" according to a family member.

According to the New York Daily News, the Yankees did not invite Clemens to the festivities for fears that boos would spoil the enthusiasm of a memorable night. Clemens is one of the greatest pitchers in baseball history, but he is also the target of a federal perjury investigation, and the Yankee brass made no mention of him during Sunday's celebration because they did not know how fans would respond.

"They didn't want boos to be the last memory of Roger at the Stadium," a source familiar with preparations for the last game told the Daily News.

According to the New York Post, Clemens watched the ceremonies clutching wife Debbie's hand on one side and mother-in-law Jan Wild's on the other. Clemens tuned in to his final team's last home game hoping for some recognition for helping win two World Series titles, Wild said.

When the team played the video celebrating its greatest players at every position, the steroid-scandal-scarred Clemens was nowhere to be seen.

"Debbie and I held his hand while we watched the game, and he was heartbroken," said Wild, 70. "Not mad. He still loves baseball and the Yankees, but it was sad what they did to him."

Even Chuck Knoblauch — who was also named in the scathing Mitchell Report on steroids — was acknowledged on the big screen, hailed as the second baseman of the 1990s. Fellow steroid targets Andy Pettitte and Jason Giambi were at the Stadium in uniform for the Yankees. Those players, however, have admitted and apologized for using performance-enhancing drugs.

Clemens has maintained his innocence since he was identified as a steroid user in the Mitchell Report last December. In January, he filed a defamation lawsuit against Brian McNamee, the trainer who said he injected the Rocket with steroids and human growth hormone. But the past nine months have been a public relations disaster for the pitcher. The Daily News reported earlier this year that Clemens, a married man with four sons, had a long-term affair with country singer Mindy McCready and romantic relationships with other women. The News also reported that McNamee had injected Clemens' wife Debbie with HGH.

Source: New York Daily News

Maroon87
09-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Bombers snub Clemens at Stadium farewell
By Anthony McCarron, Christian Red and Michael O'Keeffe
New York Daily News

The Yankees did not invite Roger Clemens to the last game at the Stadium, or acknowledge that the seven-time Cy Young Award winner played for them for six seasons and helped them win two World Series, because they feared boos would rain down on their parade.

Clemens is one of the greatest pitchers in baseball history, but he is also the target of a federal perjury investigation, and the Yankee brass made no mention of him during Sunday’s celebration because they did not know how fans would respond.

“They didn’t want boos to be the last memory of Roger at the Stadium,” a source familiar with preparations for the last game told the Daily News.

Several other current and former Yankees linked to baseball’s illicit drug scandal - including Jason Giambi, Chuck Knoblauch, and winning pitcher Andy Pettitte - were present for the last game at the Stadium or acknowledged during the ceremony. Those players, however, have admitted and apologized for using performance-enhancing drugs.

Clemens has maintained his innocence since he was identified as a steroid user in the Mitchell Report last December. In January, he filed a defamation lawsuit against Brian McNamee, the trainer who said he injected the Rocket with steroids and human growth hormone. But the past nine months have been a public relations disaster for the pitcher. The Daily News reported earlier this year that Clemens, a married man with four sons, had a long-term affair with country singer Mindy McCready and romantic relationships with other women. The News also reported that McNamee had injected Clemens’ wife Debbie with HGH.

“Roger was a great Yankee and did a tremendous job here and we’re proud of the work he did here,” general manager Brian Cashman said Monday. “I can’t speak to why he wasn’t involved in the video tribute. I wasn’t part of any meetings.

“There’s a lot of controversy surrounding him right now, but that doesn’t change the kind of person he was when he was here. He’s special in my book, whether they showed a video clip of him or not.”

Another icon from the Yankees’ most recent championship teams, manager Joe Torre, also was not mentioned during the ceremony on Sunday, although he was shown during scoreboard programming.

“A lot of great Yankees were not mentioned,” Yankee spokesman Howard Rubenstein said of Clemens and Torre. “There was no slight intended and perhaps both of them should have been mentioned during the celebration.”

Torre, who led the Yankees to four championships and six World Series from 1996 to 2007, had a bitter split with the Yankees last year after he turned down their one-year offer to return that included a pay cut. Instead, he signed a three-year deal to become the Dodgers manager. Don Mattingly, the Dodgers’ hitting coach, and Dave Righetti, the Giants’ pitching coach - both ex-Yankees - were mentioned in pregame ceremonies at Sunday, though they could not attend. The Giants and Dodgers played each other Sunday in Los Angeles.

“Joe is clearly one of the special ones of all time here, there’s no doubt about that. I don’t think it was anything done on purpose, let’s put it that way. Joe means a great deal to this franchise and he always will,” Cashman said.

Dodger spokesman Josh Rawitch said ESPN had requested that Torre appear during the network’s broadcast of Sunday’s game. “He already had plans last night when they asked,” Rawitch said.

Tino Martinez, the first baseman for Torre’s championship squads, said he hopes Torre will be present at the Nov. 9 ceremony that will mark the official end of Yankee Stadium.

“I’m assuming that when Nov. 9 comes, he’ll be there,” Martinez said. “I don’t think it was anything that was intentionally done.”

pirate4state
09-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Wilbon on PTI was being "mean" to Clemens. Basically told him to get over it! HAHA

Why the women in these guys lives feel the need to talk to the media is beyond me! :rolleyes:

JR2004
09-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Wilbon on PTI was being "mean" to Clemens. Basically told him to get over it! HAHA

Why the women in these guys lives feel the need to talk to the media is beyond me! :rolleyes:

Show Roger some compassion Rita! :mad: :mad:

pirate4state
09-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Show Roger some compassion Rita! :mad: :mad: LOL. I'm a fan of the Rocket. I just thought what Wilbon said/did was funny. Especially mocking the mother-in-law.

JR2004
09-24-2008, 12:43 AM
LOL. I'm a fan of the Rocket. I just thought what Wilbon said/did was funny. Especially mocking the mother-in-law.

It's not nice to mock people. You shouldn't laugh at those who mock others. :(

pirate4state
09-24-2008, 12:47 AM
It's not nice to mock people. You shouldn't laugh at those who mock others. :( It isn't? Planning on changing that sig anytime soon then?

JR2004
09-24-2008, 12:47 AM
It isn't? Planning on changing that sig anytime soon then?

No. :(

pirate4state
09-24-2008, 12:48 AM
No. :( You were saying? Thought so! :tongue:

JR2004
09-24-2008, 12:56 AM
You were saying? Thought so! :tongue:

I only mock Purple Tigers and Leprechaun fans. Well I mock Cowboy fans too, but that's it for me. I don't mock anyone else. Those three fan bases are enough for me. :)

I think you're just out to get me Rita! That's what this is all about! You're out to get me!

JR2004
09-24-2008, 01:18 AM
I will say that Clemens does need to just get over it. Roger did this to himself. If he's that emotionally fragile over not seeing his picture or hearing his name mentioned I really don't know what to say...I mean really, his wife and mother-in-law had to hold his hand during the game? Come on! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rocket
09-24-2008, 12:58 PM
LOL. I'm a fan of the Rocket.

Ahh thanks, Rita...