PDA

View Full Version : WOS87's "Rolling" Power Ratings from Week 11 '07 thru Week 3 '08

WOS87
09-23-2008, 11:18 PM
In response to BobcatBenny's suggestion about making the ratings relevant for early in the season I've compiled a revised ratings which will continue through the regular season. I'm actually quite pleased with how it turned out and I believe most people will be as well. Bellville rules the roost on these ratings as they do on the original version, but most of the usual suspects have moved up significantly.

Click here for the original ratings thread --->LINK (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86667)

This is a "rolling" ratings system in which I have included all games that involve at least one 3A opponent over the last 10 weeks of play.... which currently starts at 2007 Week 11 and goes through 2008 Week 3. By Week 10 of this season the "rolling" ratings will be exactly the same as the original ratings and I will discontinue them.

Region I teams are listed in BLUE
Region II teams are listed in RED
Region III teams are listed in GREEN
Region IV teams are listed in PURPLE

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/scores/2008/rollingpr2008week3.gif

WOS87
09-23-2008, 11:22 PM
25-3A makes up 5 of the top 23

BobcatBenny
09-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Good work. This is very interesting.

Did you by chance run a power rating prediction for this week? or last week to see how well of an indicator this rolling ratings system is?

Like this rating system was 70% acurate for predicting the outcome of last week's games? etc.

bulldog64
09-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Goliad ranked higher than West Oso? This is obviously not based on quality of opponents.

BobcatBenny
09-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by bulldog64
Goliad ranked higher than West Oso? This is obviously not based on quality of opponents.
Well, Goliad might be picking up some help from last season's power ratings and results. 87 per my suggestion was trying to make his current numbers have relevance while the results of this season have time to mature. The maturing of this season's results takes time and as district play begins and 3A teams develop common opponents, a more acurate picture of this season's 3A power ratings will develop.

But after looking at the two team's results from this season and last, it appears to the naked eye that there must be something missing in the algorithm :thinking:

kepdawg
09-24-2008, 11:04 AM
I bet Roosevelt likes the new system better!

They jumped from 142 to 38 and haven't won a game all year! :)