PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Hill vs Fredricksburg

duckpluck
09-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Ok lets move on from the Brownwood discussion.

Thoughts on this game?

We know tons about LH.

What is known about the Billes of Fredricksburg?

LH Panther Mom
09-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Just from looking at some box scores, it looks like they mix it up offensively.

The only other thing I know is that there are several coaching ties between the two schools.

Super_R
09-23-2008, 12:24 PM
F'berg is 2-2. They beat Marble Falls (3-1) and Comfort (0-4).

The Marble Falls win seems to be a quality win. But, the win against Comfort is as meaningful as LH's win over Manor. They have loses to Uvalde (3-0) and to Brady (4-0). Brady's loss has me wondering just how good are the Billies? I know Brady was undefeated...but, they are a 2A team beating crappy 2A teams. Take F'berg out of the picture and Brady's opponents are a combined 3-9...and one of those wins were against the other.

What I am trying to say is that I don't think F'berg is going to be very good.

LH Panther Mom
09-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Super_R
F'berg is 2-2. The beat Marble Falls (3-1) and Comfort (0-4).

The Marble Falls wins seems to be a quality win. But, the win against Comfort is as meaningful as LH's win over Manor. They have loses to Uvalde (3-0) and to Brady (4-0). Brady's loss has me wondering just how good are the Billies? I know Brady was undefeated...but, they are a 2A team beating crappy 2A teams. Take F'berg out of the picture and Brady's opponents are a combined 3-9...and one of those wins were against the other.

What I am trying to say is that I don't think F'berg is going to be very good.
***hijack***

You should be saving up for next week's smack down with the Bullpups. :devil:

Lion_Addict
09-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Saw 'em in the Final 4 seven on seven at Gordon Wood. Didn't look too shabby but that's a different ballgame I know.

Super_R
09-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
***hijack***

You should be saving up for next week's smack down with the Bullpups. :devil:

I don't think there will be anyone around to exchange jabs with.

All out CAT
09-23-2008, 12:55 PM
I don't think there will be anyone around to exchange jabs with.

Rocket should move into one of their Bed and Breakfast's for a week so that it will be entertaining.

Super_R
09-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by All out CAT
Rocket should move into one of their Bed and Breakfast's for a week so that it will be entertaining.

I hope he brings his lovely bride Beast.

Daddy D 11
09-23-2008, 03:20 PM
I hope he brings his lovely bride Beast.

Can we share a room too Super R?:blush: :blush:

Rocket
09-23-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by All out CAT

You want us to pretend since it is our bye week? :D

Rocket
09-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11

OK... :tmi:

Daddy D 11
09-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
OK... :tmi:

You can join too:D

Rocket
09-23-2008, 03:40 PM

Is Super R a woman?

Super_R
09-23-2008, 03:41 PM

R u going to F'berg?

All out CAT
09-23-2008, 03:41 PM
You want us to pretend since it is our bye week? :D

Most certainly. I don't believe we'll see any other excitement on here from anyone else.

Daddy D 11
09-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Is Super R a woman?

Pretty much:p

Daddy D 11
09-23-2008, 03:42 PM
R u going to F'berg?

No, I've got one more week of Fall Practices and then i plan on making a few games.

espn1
09-23-2008, 03:44 PM
I don't think there will be anyone around to exchange jabs with. I'll be around! I'll probably borrow a dull butter knife from one of the Burnet Coaches! I really believe Burnet will try to get up for this one! But since they have about 7 different plays, I guess it won't be that hard to setup in practice!

Daddy D 11
09-23-2008, 03:45 PM
ESPN1, what are you going to do when our suspect secondary shuts your Burnet Bulldogs down?:thinking:

:devil: :devil:

Lion_Addict
09-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Invitations to a 3-way on a Football Messageboard:1omg!: .......Gawd, I love this place!!!! :2thumbsup

Daddy D 11
09-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
Invitations to a 3-way on a Football Messageboard:1omg!: .......Gawd, I love this place!!!! :2thumbsup

We'll hook ya up;)

espn1
09-23-2008, 04:05 PM
ESPN1, what are you going to do when our suspect secondary shuts your Burnet Bulldogs down?:thinking:

:devil: :devil: Not much I can do either way! But if I'm playing LH, I know who and where I'd throw the ball! There's one incredibly weak link on LH's D and I'd exploit it! The rest is pretty tight! I can say this! That if B'wood and LH meet up again, I'll bet a Chicken Fried Steak dinner that the Lions take it! That's my two cents! As for Burnet? That's up to them! If they are earning their paychecks the Scouts will pickup on it also! Burnet might play you closer than you think!

Pick6
09-23-2008, 04:18 PM
I think LH is glad that non-district is over. Should be a cake walk for a while, at least until a couple rounds into the playoffs.

LionKing
09-23-2008, 04:22 PM
LH in a ''laugher'' over F'burg.

Rocket
09-23-2008, 04:27 PM
We'll hook ya up;)

You can't even hook yourself up...

duckpluck
09-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Fred runs a 4-3 defense and most of the offense out of the I.

ziggy29
09-23-2008, 08:04 PM
IMO, this game can help show whether F'burg is a solid playoff contender in district play. I don't think any reasonable and objective person expects them to beat LH, but after a fairly uninspiring and disappointing non-district performance, the Billies can still show (with a strong performance) they are playoff material -- which is something they haven't really shown in the first four games.

For what it's worth, I expect F'burg to pick it up and be a solid contender in district. But now district play is here and it's time to show it. A respectable showing against the Panthers would go a long way, knowing the toughest obstacle is behind them.

OldBison75
09-23-2008, 08:10 PM
LH should win handily in this one. The game will be decided in the first half with LH scoring 5 times on long runs. The Billy goats will have alot of opportunities to graze on the field grass as the LH offensive line will dominate. Don't think for a minute the armchair coaches that have criticized the LH team avfter beating the toughest competition during pre-district has caused these guys to doubt themselves. This little episode of comparing this team to previous teams will be the moticvation LH needs to show everyone that they are for real and can be as good as any LH team that has gone before. LOOKOUT F'Burg

BEAST
09-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Does burg pass much or just use the power I?

BEAST

BEAST
09-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by espn1
Not much I can do either way! But if I'm playing LH, I know who and where I'd throw the ball! There's one incredibly weak link on LH's D and I'd exploit it! The rest is pretty tight! I can say this! That if B'wood and LH meet up again, I'll bet a Chicken Fried Steak dinner that the Lions take it! That's my two cents! As for Burnet? That's up to them! If they are earning their paychecks the Scouts will pickup on it also! Burnet might play you closer than you think!

I always knew I liked you. Your posts are always the most informed.:D

BEAST

cameron91
09-23-2008, 09:17 PM
IMO , this game will be alot closer then you think. the bills will be the biggest team that LH will face this year. that really doesn't mean nothing when it comes down to LH , but this will not be another Manor game. just because the Bills lost to brady , doesn't mean spit. the bills lost a fumble late in the game and brady took it to the house on a busted coverage. brady would beat alot of 3a teams , so they're no push over.look for brady to make a deep run in 2a this year.

LH Panther Mom
09-23-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by cameron91
the bills will be the biggest team that LH will face this year. :eek: :eek: :eek: Big as in tall, big as in "large" or both?

solocam
09-23-2008, 09:41 PM
cats by 14

cameron91
09-23-2008, 09:47 PM
:D :D :D both , I know last year they had some huge runnin backs when they played cameron..these will be some big German boys LH will face... they pass and run the ball decent.can't was to see Lattimore hit one of them..just to hear the big BANG..Don't be surprise if the light don't go off after one of this hits..:D

Old Dog
09-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Daddy D 11.........There are still some Burnet boosters around, this is just a year which you sit back and keep your mouth shut and see what time delivers.

Believe it or not, the Dogs have some outside speed and the QB can hum the sphere, but the line is not very large and lacks any depth. For such a large 3A school, there are not many boys on the squad. The D must learn to wrap up on first contact because too many RBs wearing other colors are leveling our defenders and getting a extra 5-10 yards. Will be very interesting to see this young fish RB from Wimberley.

This weeks game with Wimberley will tell us a lot about their future (like is there one).

JR2004
09-24-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm rooting for my fellow Germans in this one!

bandera7
09-24-2008, 12:17 AM
I say LH will win big in this, but Fred isnt as bad as people think.

duckpluck
09-24-2008, 07:15 AM
LH Mom

Here is how they go in size

Oline - 263,235, 210, 238,276

Dline is small 1 guy over 200

RBs go 160, 180, 185

LHexPlayer
09-24-2008, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
Does burg pass much or just use the power I?

BEAST

They are almost 50/50 pass/run. They are a power team. They try to line up their big OL and power you all day. Should be a good match up.

NastySlot
09-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
They are almost 50/50 pass/run. They are a power team. They try to line up their big OL and power you all day. Should be a good match up.

recheck with your source on this one.

LHexPlayer
09-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
recheck with your source on this one.

Which part? Stats say about 50/50 pass/run. With 92 passes and 105 rushes. Yardage shows 646 passing yards and 535 rushing yards. And I was told they power run the back (Hickman). If I'm wrong so be it. Please let us know more about Fredericksburg if you know something we don't.

NastySlot
09-24-2008, 09:15 AM
not as much power running as led to believe.

Super_R
09-24-2008, 10:24 AM
not as much power running as led to believe.

I think he ment power I.

Hill Man
09-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by duckpluck
LH Mom

Here is how they go in size

Oline - 263,235, 210, 238,276

Dline is small 1 guy over 200

RBs go 160, 180, 185

Only 1 over 200 on the Dline::thinking:
I will be long night for the billies:doh:

LHexPlayer
09-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I think he ment power I.

Maybe that is what my friend meant. I have not seen them play. I am looking forward to this trip into Fredericksburg.

LHexPlayer
09-25-2008, 04:42 PM
From the Fredericksburg Standard Online

For all of the attention that Friday’s matchup between Liberty Hill and Fredericksburg has received -- the district opener for both schools, Liberty Hill’s back-to-back state titles, the contest being named the “DQ Big Game of the Week” -- the contest ultimately will come down to two or 29.

The Billies, who will host the Panthers at 7:30 p.m. in FHS Stadium, enter the football game seeking their second straight victory, while Liberty Hill -- a two-time defending AAA state champion -- seeks to improve its state-best winning streak to 29 games.

While many fans penciled the Liberty Hill game onto their calendars as soon as schedules were released last March, Fredericksburg head coach Dean Herbort has refused to do the same.

“They’re not circled. I’ve never circled a game and said ‘Hey, this is the game,’” he said. “We tell our kids: The most important game of your life is the next one. All the district games are going to be important. It just so happens Liberty Hill is going to be the first one.”

The Panthers will head into the district opener sporting a 4-0 record after wins over AAA Giddings (28-26), AAA Abilene Wylie (28-25), AAAA Manor (49-7) and AAA Brownwood (56-49).

“There’s nothing like knocking off defending state champions,” Herbort said. “(Preparing for Liberty Hill) puts a little bit more spring in your step in the practice and in the game.”

The Panthers are led defensively by inside linebacker Cody Lattimore, a four-year starter who returned an interception for a touchdown last week against Brownwood and has offensive skills as well.

“When they need a big play on offense, he comes in, gets the ball and runs for a first down or touchdown,” Herbort said.

On offense, Liberty Hill will operate out of the slot-T formation, which he said will look very similar to the offense run by Brady two weeks ago, with one significant difference.

“Liberty Hill’s goal is to not throw the ball,” Herbort said.

In the Panthers 38-13 win over Gilmer in the state title game last season, Liberty Hill did not attempt a single pass attempt, and this season quarterback Braden Fickel has completed three of four attempts for 104 yards.

Slowing the high-powered Liberty Hill offense will be a key for the Billies Friday night, Herbort said.

“You can look at this great running back (Lattimore). Well, what do I (as a player) need to do? First and foremost, I have to tackle that guy. They have a lot of big play guys we got to keep from making big plays,” he said.

“Make them drive the ball,” Herbort added. “The more plays you make them run, the more susceptible they are to making errors.”

The Panthers’ resume may seem to Billie fans like a daunting task for FHS to overcome, but Herbort said the right approach to a challenge is key.

“If you’re going to climb Mount Everest, you wouldn’t say, ‘I’m just going to start climbing and try real hard.’ You have to set little goals and little steps to make the big step,” he said.

“If I’m climbing Mount Everest, my first goal is to make it to the first substation and then the next and then the next,” he added.

The Billie head coach said that little goals for his team Friday night include limiting penalties (FHS has been flagged 29 times for 232 yards this season), eliminating turnovers, tackling at a 90 percent efficiency rate and winning the kicking game.

“If we do all those things, the game is going to be close in the fourth quarter and it’ll give us a chance to win at home,” Herbort said.

Fredericksburg has been building a home field advantage, he said, through the growth of “the sea of red” in the stands.

“Coming out in the second half the other night, it looked to me like the place is packed and the place is getting redder,” Herbort said.

The Battlin’ Billie Moms are encouraging fans to bring cowbells to the game and the Billie Boosters will be giving away free foam spirit sticks at the gate before kickoff.

“The sea of red is a big deal. Being vocal in a positive way is a big deal,” Herbort said, though he added that regardless of Friday’s outcome, the job is not done.

“When we get up Saturday morning, win or lose, we’re still going to have to beat Llano, Burnet, Wimberley, Canyon Lake and Ingram.”

K-MAC Chuck
09-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by espn1
Burnet might play you closer than you think!

Hey man,
it was good to meet you the other day...

Sorry but Burnet doesn't come within 12 points of LH...:D
JMO..

espn1
09-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
Hey man,
it was good to meet you the other day...

Sorry but Burnet doesn't come within 12 points of LH...:D
JMO.. I don't want to agree with you, but I'm just like you. I call it like I see it! So I hope it's just 12! LH doesn't have that many weaknesses and it will take a good team Like Cuero, B'wood or La Vega to exploit them! For the record I did let them know about my scouting report. It was a pleasure meeting you also! Keep up the good posts. I enjoy reading them.:D :D :D

Super_R
09-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Maybe that is what my friend meant. I have not seen them play. I am looking forward to this trip into Fredericksburg.

Here is what I think will happen in about 23 and a half hours. The billies will try and do what they do on offense...run their power I stuff...they might get a 1st down or 2 and then will have to punt...i see this happening for a series or 2 and then they will have to abandon what they do and mix in other stuff. I expect them to try and formation us to death with twins and trips...maybe tackle over...But, they will have limited to no success.

The reason they will try and do what they do for a few series and eventually abandon it is because they will end up a few scores down and have to try and score quicker. Once this happens be ready to watch the visitors score to rise fasther and faster.

Beast Fan
09-26-2008, 01:56 AM
It's not every day we butcher, but we butcher today. Go panthers!!!

LH Panther Mom
09-26-2008, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Beast Fan
It's not every day we butcher, but we butcher today. Go panthers!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

WHO YA ROOTIN' FOR?

L-H-H-S!!!

firstcat
09-26-2008, 08:46 AM
Is it gametime yet? I work with a former "Billie" and he's never been quieter than he has been this week!!!!

Not gonna be pretty for the 'Burg!!!!

espn1
09-26-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Beast Fan
It's not every day we butcher, but we butcher today. Go panthers!!! Bring it to me because I love to BBQ Goat. Of course I'll have to castrate it first and leave it in a pen about 30 days! Can't have that musky taste! Better just bring me a kid.

All out CAT
09-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by firstcat
Is it gametime yet? I work with a former "Billie" and he's never been quieter than he has been this week!!!!

Not gonna be pretty for the 'Burg!!!!

who?

NastySlot
09-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Here is what I think will happen in about 23 and a half hours. The billies will try and do what they do on offense...run their power I stuff...they might get a 1st down or 2 and then will have to punt...i see this happening for a series or 2 and then they will have to abandon what they do and mix in other stuff. I expect them to try and formation us to death with twins and trips...maybe tackle over...But, they will have limited to no success.

The reason they will try and do what they do for a few series and eventually abandon it is because they will end up a few scores down and have to try and score quicker. Once this happens be ready to watch the visitors score to rise fasther and faster.

so does that mean that they will try to run.....sweep, iso, toss, and maybe mix in some gt?..............and i think they might line up in those multiple receivers sets every week not just against LH.........i've seen them on tape....they do pass a lot and mix up there formations well.. hey will you be at the game tonight?

rundoe
09-26-2008, 07:39 PM
7 0 LH

rundoe
09-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by rundoe
7 0 LH

14 0 LH

rundoe
09-26-2008, 08:32 PM
17 0 LH

rundoe
09-26-2008, 08:35 PM
17 0 LH

half. rough half for LH. Too many mistakes.

rundoe
09-26-2008, 09:11 PM
half. rough half for LH. Too many mistakes.

24 0 LH 75 yard run

rundoe
09-26-2008, 09:30 PM
24 0 LH 75 yard run

31 0 LH

rundoe
09-26-2008, 09:50 PM
31 0 LH

38 0 LH

rundoe
09-26-2008, 09:54 PM
38 0 LH

Game. Guess they had some first district game jitters. Easily could have been 20 more points by LH, but fumbles and penalities slowed em down.

Nite Folks

garciap77
09-26-2008, 09:55 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Good job LH!

LH Panther Mom
09-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Game. Guess they had some first district game jitters. Easily could have been 20 more points by LH, but fumbles and penalities slowed em down.
I didn't really think there were jitters. They did look a little flat at first, but all the emotion on the field a week ago probably had a large part to do with it. I need to watch, but it looked like at least one fumble, maybe all, were caused by the Billie defense.

Penalties? :doh: :doh: The holding calls were understandable, considering. 10-78 isn't too bueno, even moreso when the opponent is 0-0. Fredericksburg seemed very disciplined in that area, and it was something I noticed the night before as well. "Back, back, back it up" Panthers.

Great job on the shut-out!

Fredericksburg is a team that I think has a real chance at making the playoffs. They have Llano next week. The look they got at the Slot-T will help them. Best of luck, Billies, on the rest of the season! :clap:

wimbo_pro
09-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Please tell me the back ups got playing time!!

LHexPlayer
09-27-2008, 08:50 AM
I didn't really think there were jitters. They did look a little flat at first, but all the emotion on the field a week ago probably had a large part to do with it. I need to watch, but it looked like at least one fumble, maybe all, were caused by the Billie defense.

Penalties? :doh: :doh: The holding calls were understandable, considering. 10-78 isn't too bueno, even moreso when the opponent is 0-0. Fredericksburg seemed very disciplined in that area, and it was something I noticed the night before as well. "Back, back, back it up" Panthers.

Great job on the shut-out!

Fredericksburg is a team that I think has a real chance at making the playoffs. They have Llano next week. The look they got at the Slot-T will help them. Best of luck, Billies, on the rest of the season! :clap:

I think you are correct on the fumbles. I was impressed with the Billies defense. They tackled very well, played hard, and did pretty good against our offense. Especially if you consider they have never seen it before. I think the flat feel of the game may have had to do with the let down after the Brownwood game. It's hard to compare the Fredericksburg game to the Brownwood game. One was exciting and the other was very workman like. Congrats to the defense. That was our first shutout in who knows when. Good luck to Fredericksburg. I'm pulling for you guys to make the playoffs.

LH Panther Mom
09-27-2008, 08:54 AM
I think you are correct on the fumbles. I was impressed with the Billies defense. They tackled very well, played hard, and did pretty good against our offense. Especially if you consider they have never seen it before. I think the flat feel of the game may have had to do with the let down after the Brownwood game. It's hard to compare the Fredericksburg game to the Brownwood game. One was exciting and the other was very workman like. Congrats to the defense. That was our first shutout in who knows when. Good luck to Fredericksburg. I'm pulling for you guys to make the playoffs.
2004 was the last one.

Yes, the Billies D stuffed a number of plays and were laying the wood several times. Hard working bunch of kids on both sides. :clap:

NastySlot
09-27-2008, 09:08 AM

Nite Folks

liberty hill gets the jitters?..........idk............those kids and coaches do an outstanding job.

NastySlot
09-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro

i noticed them after a time out with a little over six minutes....LH gets after it....and its no fun losing but they are fun to watch...got to appreciate a team that plays and works like that.

LHexPlayer
09-27-2008, 09:11 AM
liberty hill gets the jitters?..........idk............those kids and coaches do an outstanding job.

Thanks for the compliment. I don't think it was jitters. Fredericksburg made us earn our yards.

wimbo_pro
09-27-2008, 09:18 AM
i noticed them after a time out with a little over six minutes....LH gets after it....and its no fun losing but they are fun to watch...got to appreciate a team that plays and works like that.

Thats good to hear NastySlot...thanks.

LH Panther Mom
09-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Second O was sent in with around 6-7:00 left. Of course, things are a little different this year than in the past. Subbing @ the RB spots starts early in the game, so several are getting carries throughout. I like it! :2thumbsup

wimbo_pro
09-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Second O was sent in with around 6-7:00 left. Of course, things are a little different this year than in the past. Subbing @ the RB spots starts early in the game, so several are getting carries throughout. I like it! :2thumbsup

That sounds about the right mix...you want as many to play as possible, but you also dont want to allow your starters to lose the momentum. You dont want injuries, but you dont want to lose the MoJo your starters have developed. it's a balancing act.

rundoe
09-27-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the compliment. I don't think it was jitters. Fredericksburg made us earn our yards.

Then change jitters to:
A hard Billy defense.
The emotion of last weeks Brownwood game.
or fill in the blank.

LH Panther Mom
09-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Then change jitters to:
A hard Billy defense.
The emotion of last weeks Brownwood game.
or fill in the blank.
You should come watch them sometime! :)