PDA

View Full Version : Big XII and SEC are the best conferences

headhunter
09-21-2008, 11:45 PM
4 from each are in the top ten!! pretty tough competition do yall think?

BobcatBenny
09-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
4 from each are in the top ten!! pretty tough competition do yall think?
I am a Tech fan, but ... really?

I think Tech is living off of the media's and coaches love of Howie and Chris. Any team that embarasses the media and the Long gene pool, in a decent bowl, gets some sort of special poll treatment the next season. :(

Obviously the media and coaches fail to realize that Tech can lose to anyone and very well might even take a loss in a bye week, if it were possible. ;)

big daddy russ
09-22-2008, 05:29 PM
SEC is the top dog (by a longshot) with the Big XII clearly in second (also by a longshot).

Consider this:

Auburn is a middling SEC program. We're ranked 15th, have a 3-1 record, are maybe the fifth-best team in a conference of 12, and we only have an outside shot at a National Championship. Right now, 'Bama, LSU, Georgia, and Florida are conference teams that look better than us while we may be a small step ahead of Vandy and South Carolina. We've beaten most of the teams we were supposed to beat by a good margin with the exception of our first conference game against Mississippi State. Our defense was outstanding, but our offense looked terrible during that game. Our body of work includes sizable wins against Southern Miss and Louisiana-Monroe, a close win against conference foe Mississippi State, and we were within a minute away from beating LSU, one of the nation's top teams.

Ohio State is the top dog in the Big Ten. They're ranked 14th, have a 3-1 record, and are still considered National Championship contenders as long as the run the table through the Big Ten-- something entirely possible. Their body of work includes two close victories against Ohio and Troy and a donkeystomping at the hands of USC, one of the nation's top teams.

Honestly, if those two teams squared off in a game, who would you take? The Big Ten's top dog or a middle-of-the-road SEC squad?

cshscougar08
09-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Honestly, if those two teams squared off in a game, who would you take? The Big Ten's top dog or a middle-of-the-road SEC squad?

Honestly? I would take Ohio State in that matchup. Auburn needs to do something offensively before I will think of them in higher regard. I still think they can win the SEC West, but it isn't going to be by their power. It will only be because of LSU losses. Well actually, I take that back. No way Auburn wins the West because they have basically the same schedule as LSU.

But I do agree that the SEC is the best conference in the country. But I will also say that the Big 12 isn't THAT far behind.

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Could Ohio State hold Auburn to a safety instead of a FG? :thinking: ;)

big daddy russ
09-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Honestly? I would take Ohio State in that matchup. Auburn needs to do something offensively before I will think of them in higher regard. I still think they can win the SEC West, but it isn't going to be by their power. It will only be because of LSU losses. Well actually, I take that back. No way Auburn wins the West because they have basically the same schedule as LSU.

But I do agree that the SEC is the best conference in the country. But I will also say that the Big 12 isn't THAT far behind.
Have you watched Ohio State play this year? Did you see the USC game? What about Ohio? Troy, maybe?

I don't care about the name brand the Buckeyes are, the actual product on the field isn't too far from terrible... especially for a BCS school.

A buddy of mine was talking about them just this morning. We can't figure out if them or TCU is actually the worst team in the new top 25. He also suggested the other mid-majors for consideration, but BYU and Utah at least have a few quality wins under their belts and Fresno State hung in with a top-ten team in Wisconsin, something OSU didn't do when they played USC.

Speaking of Wisconsin, is anyone else starting to get the feeling that they're going to blow out the Bucks in a couple of weeks? I know I am, though Beanie Wells may be back by then and give them a close win. But even with Wells, Ohio State would be lucky finish any better than third in either SEC Division if they were playing like this.

big daddy russ
09-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
But I will also say that the Big 12 isn't THAT far behind.
Oh, and the Big XII is that far behind the SEC. Maybe not OU, Mizzou, UT, or Tech, but it goes south from there. The next-best team is probably Okie State (NOT Kansas), and they're about on par with Tennessee or Mississippi State. Actually, maybe they're a little better, closer to the Kentucky/South Carolina tier of teams, but not quite to the Ole Miss/Vanderbilt level... in other words, them and KU would be bottom feeders in the SEC. Still may get to a bowl game, but conference play would be rough on them.