PDA

View Full Version : The Old Ballpark Goes Out in Style...Yankees 7 Orioles 3

JR2004
09-21-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm not a Yankees fan by any stretch of the imagination, (Free Swingin' A's fan) but I was glad to see Yankee Stadium go out with a win. Being an avid history buff, I have a great appreciation for Yankee Stadium. It has an unrivaled history amongst American pro sports stadiums and it's not just an American historical landmark, but a worldwide historical landmark. I'm sad to see it go.

Mariano Rivera said he really had to hold his composure when he ran out in the 9th inning for the final time. He said he's never been that emotional as a Yankee. Jeter gave a nice speech at the conclusion of the game and it was good to hear Yogi talk about what Yankee Stadium means to him. I was also glad to see Andy Pettitte get the win in the stadium's final game. It was appropriate that one of their all-time greats walk off the mound with a win tonight.

Anyone who can't appreciate how special that place has been is either an ignorant Yankee-hating fool or is a Red Sox fan. I would have actually preferred to see them make the playoffs so the final game could be played in October, but all in all they closed the place out in style tonight.