PDA

View Full Version : WOS87's 3A Power Ratings for Week 3

WOS87
09-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Once again, I put this disclaimer at the beginning to state that these numbers mean very little at this point in the season as the 177 3A teams have come nowhere close to playing enough games where all 177 can be linked to all the others. As the extreme example, WO-S can currently only be linked to 2 teams (Nederland and LCM) as none of the three have played any other 3A teams. As more games are played between 3A opponents, the numbers will become increasingly accurate.

The top rated teams currently are mainly those that have won most of their games by large margins of victory. As the season progresses, and more teams can be linked to each other through games played, the true elite should rise to the top.

The sum of the ratings of every team listed should add up to exactly zero.

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/scores/2008/3aprweek3.gif

As an example to show how the numbers check back on themselves:

Bellville beat Caldwell by 30 pts in Week 0
Bellville beat Livingston by 4 pts in Week 1
Bellville beat Sweeny by 20 pts in Week 3

Caldwell's rating = 41.22 + 30 = 71.22
Livingston's rating = 62.36 + 4 = 66.36
Sweeny's rating = 41.51 + 20 = 61.51

The average of the three = (71.22+66.36+61.51)/3 = 66.36 which is Bellville's rating exactly

If you perform that exact calculation on all 397 teams listed counting ONLY games in which there was at least one 3A opponent, you should derive each of the ratings exactly as listed above.

Emerson1
09-21-2008, 11:24 PM
What is the link for the 4A?

WOS87
09-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
What is the link for the 4A?

There is no link for 4A. It takes me quite a bit of time as it is just to crunch the numbers for 3A.

BobcatBenny
09-21-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't know 87. You can qualify your power ratings all you want right now, but ... :doh:

WOS87
09-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I don't know 87. You can qualify your power ratings all you want right now, but ... :doh:

The numbers speak for themselves.... I'm not going to apologize for them.

HM33
09-22-2008, 12:03 AM
nice numbers.... that must take a long freaking time lol

BobcatBenny
09-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
The numbers speak for themselves.... I'm not going to apologize for them.
I guess there needs to be an apology for the non-3A opponent ratings. :confused:

For example ... how does Livingston a team that is winless in 2008 end up #1 on the non-3A opponents list?

SNYDER325TIGERS
09-22-2008, 12:18 AM
WOS takes his own time to do this...the numbers are correct as of now, but like he said they will become accurate as the season goes on.

ziggy29
09-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Any time you use computer algorithms rather than human subjectivity in a ratings program, it takes quite a few weeks for the numbers to closely match what we think we're seeing -- and know -- about the teams on the field.

Even Jeff Sagarin makes it clear that his ratings are largely useless for the first several weeks, until mid-October or so.

cats 2008
09-22-2008, 08:13 AM
:eek: wow

BobcatBenny
09-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by ziggy29
Any time you use computer algorithms rather than human subjectivity in a ratings program, it takes quite a few weeks for the numbers to closely match what we think we're seeing -- and know -- about the teams on the field.

Even Jeff Sagarin makes it clear that his ratings are largely useless for the first several weeks, until mid-October or so.
I think 87 might consider adding a 3 phase approach to his rating system. One algorithm to start the season and then a blend of the two algorithms while he tranisitions to strickly season based numbers.

That way the rating system has some bit of relevance as the season data starts and then matures.

Just a thought.

Rabbit'93
09-22-2008, 11:45 AM
I think 87 might consider adding a 3 phase approach to his rating system. One algorithm to start the season and then a blend of the two algorithms while he tranisitions to strickly season based numbers.

That way the rating system has some bit of relevance as the season data starts and then matures.

Just a thought. Here's a thought....Just accept it for what it is and get over Celina not being at the top of the list. I'm sure it'll all come out over the season. Sheesh.:D

BobcatBenny
09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Here's a thought....Just accept it for what it is and get over Celina not being at the top of the list. I'm sure it'll all come out over the season. Sheesh.:D
Sheesh? Who said anything about Celina not being at the top of the list? Celina has a defeat to an East Texas 2A team. That crushes the Bobcat's power rating no matter how it gets sliced up.

The issue is, few of the teams that should be at the top of the power ratings are there. 87's rating process is what it is right now; not relevant. However, it could be tweaked to have some relevance. It is not necessary for 87 to rely on a single step algorithm or single method of formulation. That is all I am commenting on.

Now back to you. Where is Forney in 87's power ratings?

Oh, you're on the 3ADL because it looks like the Rabbit's might roll through their weak season undefeated? And no one will give you any love on Smoaky? :doh:

Hmmm ...

Sorry, but very few on here are really gong to care about Forney.

Rabbit'93
09-22-2008, 01:07 PM

Oh, you're on the 3ADL because it looks like the Rabbit's might roll through their weak season undefeated? And no one will give you any love on Smoaky? :doh:

Hmmm ...

Sorry, but very few on here are really gong to care about Forney. Haven't been on smoaky since we were 3A. Besides Forney's not really east texas IMO. I'm on 3ADL because I've been around since '01.

Thanks for bashing the Rabbits. That's awesome. Feel better pumpkin? I was just ribbing you, not your team. Stay classy moron.

Sweetwater Red
09-22-2008, 01:13 PM

Well except for 3afan...Jason....Emerson1...crzyjournalist....

Come to think of it, their represented better than a whole lot
of 3A schools on this board.:thinking:

jason
09-22-2008, 01:16 PM

Hmmm ...

it is a 3a ranking system - forney is 4a....

why is their season weak? they have beat everybody on their schedule, including a good offensive 5a team, hopefully they'll fair well in district, it might not be the toughest district, but it's tough enough....we don't see celina playing a schedule like liberty hill is, do we???

forney is not east texas, that is what smoaky covers.....

i hope celina loses in the first round with a missed pat again.....

and there are a lot of people who care about forney - i can think of a dozen right off the top of my head and there are probably more.....

there are probably more people would would rather see forney win than celina....

Emerson1
09-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Haven't been on smoaky since we were 3A. Besides Forney's not really east texas IMO. I'm on 3ADL because I've been around since '01.

Thanks for bashing the Rabbits. That's awesome. Feel better pumpkin? I was just ribbing you, not your team. Stay classy moron.
I'm not sure but Bobcat Benny might be the tool who didn't even grow up in Ceilna, moved in and is bandwagoning now. If it is I bet he won't tell us where he went to school

Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Well except for 3afan...Jason....Emerson1...crzyjournalist....

Come to think of it, their represented better than a whole lot
of 3A schools on this board.:thinking:
and Forney, Everman, and Burnet made this site what it is today

CHS_89
09-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Man this got ugly quick....and it's all your fault WOS87, lol.

Sweetwater Red
09-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by CHS_89
Man this got ugly quick....and it's all your fault WOS87, lol.

I'm angry that people are trying to discredit it. Do you see where
Sweetwater is ranked?:D :devil:

jason
09-22-2008, 01:32 PM
if sweetwater isnt any better than they were last year, then they wont make it out of district......

Sweetwater Red
09-22-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by jason
if sweetwater isnt any better than they were last year, then they wont make it out of district......

I agree 100%. If you care to scroll down and read what I said
about this current team, look where I quoted mustang04 a few
days ago.

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86408&highlight=Sweetwater+clyde+point+last+year

BobcatBenny
09-22-2008, 01:45 PM
Haven't been on smoaky since we were 3A. Besides Forney's not really east texas IMO. I'm on 3ADL because I've been around since '01.

:spitlol: Yep, I thought so ... it is you ... Hares (from Smoaky)!

All thin skinned.

That gal who does not think ribbing is a two way street! :eek:

Hmmm ...

Let me look at the "thread" again. Yes, you busted on Celina, I simply returned the favor. I am so sorry, I hurt your little feeling wealings, there snookums ... mmm'kay?

And for the rest of the Forney faithful; Jason, Emerson1 and crazyjournalist. I will try harder to make sure that I don't make you cry too. :bigcry:

Rabbit'93
09-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Yes, you busted on Celina, I simply returned the favor. I am so sorry, I hurt your little feeling wealings, there snookums ... mmm'kay?
No I cracked on you. Not Celina. Check again. :p And once again....not on smoakey.

BobcatBenny
09-22-2008, 05:13 PM
No I cracked on you. Not Celina. Check again. :p And once again....not on smoakey.
Oh, well then, all is better. I just cracked on you too. :p

STANG RED
09-22-2008, 05:34 PM

Just a thought.

Maybe you should just do your own, instead of whinning about his.
He said it would get alot more accurate as the season goes on.

Ranger Mom
09-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED

:ditto: :iagree:

Emerson1
09-22-2008, 05:46 PM
I only know of 2 people on smoaky from forney, everyone else is here or on allsports/texpreps/3adl fan site. I would vote Forney as one of the most active football forums browsing towns and put it right up there with being the Antique Capital of Texas

BobcatBenny
09-22-2008, 07:49 PM
I did do my own. And maybe you should not be so worried about ol' Benny. I am starting to get a gay vibe from you. :kiss:

kepdawg
09-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Let's all just take a big dump on 87's work! :rolleyes:

BobcatBenny
09-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Let's all just take a big dump on 87's work! :rolleyes:
No one is taking a dump on anyone's work. Its absolutely interesting.

Obviously he wanted feedback and discussion or he would not have placed it in the public domain.

My point in case it is lost on all those with inferior gray matter, who seem to dominate this forum, is why be satisfied with a power rating system that cannot be relevant earlier in the season?

Maybe all the unimaginative types that get their feelings hurt so easily, should just avoid anything that might be challenging. My suggestion is that they just look for the radio buttons in the poll threads. No typing required, just point and click. Made especially easy for you un-evolved hairy types! :D

kepdawg
09-22-2008, 08:11 PM
No one is taking a dump on anyone's work. Its absolutely interesting.

Obviously he wanted feedback and discussion or he would not have placed it in the public domain.

My point in case it is lost on all those with inferior gray matter, who seem to dominate this forum, is why be satisfied with a power rating system that cannot be relevant earlier in the season?

Maybe all the unimaginative types that get their feelings hurt so easily, should just avoid anything that might be challenging. My suggestion is that they just look for the radio buttons in the poll threads. No typing required, just point and click. Made especially easy for you un-evolved hairy types! :D

Just take it for what it is and be happy with it!

WOS87
09-22-2008, 09:09 PM
The same system correctly predicted 76% (69 of the 91) playoff games played in 3A last season, including both of the state champions that ended up winning.

Click here --->LINK (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76659)

How did the Pickem' winner fare?

rockdale80
09-22-2008, 11:13 PM
The same system correctly predicted 76% (69 of the 91) playoff games played in 3A last season, including both of the state champions that ended up winning.

Click here --->LINK (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76659)

How did the Pickem' winner fare?

Thanks for your hardwork 87. I know several of us appreciate it and understand it.

BobcatBenny
09-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Thanks for your hardwork 87. I know several of us appreciate it and understand it.
For goodness sakes folks.
Understand it?
Can you give it a rest?
Kepdawg is just jumping on the dog pile.

You all act like you want discussion.
Obviously, that is not the case.
Unbelieveable! What a bunch of prima donnas!

rockdale80
09-22-2008, 11:37 PM
For goodness sakes folks.
Understand it?
Can you give it a rest?
Kepdawg is just jumping on the dog pile.

You all act like you want discussion.
Obviously, that is not the case.
Unbelieveable! What a bunch of prima donnas!

What I said was not referring to anyone in particular. Sorry buddy.

BobcatBenny
09-22-2008, 11:42 PM
The lack of imagination and vision is sometimes remarkable. :D

WOS87
09-22-2008, 11:56 PM
The lack of imagination and vision is sometimes remarkable. :D

Benny I understand what you're getting at and would have already taken you up on your challenge to implement a system that would make the early part of the season relevant but...

I'm currently at day #10 without electricity here in Central Houston (which SUCKS) and ALSO have a pretty strenuous day job.... and both of those things are pretty much draining all of the lifeforce out of me at the moment

BobcatBenny
09-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Benny I understand what you're getting at and would have already taken you up on your challenge to implement a system that would make the early part of the season relevant but...

I'm currently at day #10 without electricity here in Central Houston (which SUCKS) and ALSO have a pretty strenuous day job.... and both of those things are pretty much draining all of the lifeforce out of me at the moment
It's not you at all 87. You had the amazing vision to put a power rating system together. It's great just like it is.

Its all the rest of the folks that take everything that stands up with a different perspective as some sort of attack.

So, what if I point out that those are some pretty ugly numbers right now?

It was just for discussion sake.

The sad part is I so rarely find anything worth really discussing here. Oh I find plenty to fun around with, but the one time I want to dig into something. Everybody has to feel like they need to defend fragile 87 from mean ol Benny.

kepdawg
09-23-2008, 12:22 AM
It's not you at all 87. You had the amazing vision to put a power rating system together. It's great just like it is.

Its all the rest of the folks that take everything that stands up with a different perspective as some sort of attack.

So, what if I point out that those are some pretty ugly numbers right now?

It was just for discussion sake.

The sad part is I so rarely find anything worth really discussing here. Oh I find plenty to fun around with, but the one time I want to dig into something. Everybody has to feel like they need to defend fragile 87 from mean ol Benny.

Personally I don't see what there is to discuss; the disclaimer says it all. If you feel inclined to discuss the ratings that is fine. However, a different approach with your first post on this thread might not have been a bad idea.

STANG RED
09-23-2008, 08:23 AM
I did do my own. And maybe you should not be so worried about ol' Benny. I am starting to get a gay vibe from you. :kiss:

Maybe you should be more worried about ol' Benny, ya know with that gay vibe going on and all.

STANG RED
09-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Maybe you should be more worried about ol' Benny, ya know with that gay vibe going on and all. :p

ziggy29
09-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Maybe you should be more worried about ol' Benny, ya know with that gay vibe going on and all.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

ASURugger
09-23-2008, 08:44 AM
What's crazy is that Bellville is #1 and because the title doesn't have Bellville in it, no one from there will ever know!

pirate4state
11-10-2008, 04:23 PM
:p

BobcatBenny
11-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:p
One of my all time favorite threads! :D

nobogey72
11-10-2008, 04:35 PM
I asked my neighbor's 6 yr old son which he liked best and was the most accurate----- Massey Ratings or WOS87 Ratings------????

He said he likes ice cream.

BobcatBenny
11-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I asked my neighbor's 6 yr old son which he liked best and was the most accurate----- Massey Ratings or WOS87 Ratings------????

He said he likes ice cream.
Bogey!!!

I am not even going to ask why you were offering your neighbor's 6 yr. old son ice cream! :doh: :eek: :D

Bullaholic
11-10-2008, 04:51 PM
nm, I'll move my post to the Wk WOS87 Power Rating thread.