PDA

View Full Version : yankee stadium

jason
09-21-2008, 06:30 PM
does anybody actually care today is the last game there??

i couldnt care less......

Rabid Cougar
09-21-2008, 06:33 PM
I hate everything Yankee. I am so glad they didn't make the playoffs

Old Tiger
09-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Well lately I don't care but historically I do.

List of great Yankee players...

Babe Ruth
Lou Gehrig
Joe DiMaggio
Mickey Mantle
Yogi Berra
Roger Maris
Reggie Jackson
Derek Jeter

Among others

JR2004
09-21-2008, 06:42 PM
My mother has been a Yankee fan since she was a kid back in the 50's so tonight will be a sad one for her as the stadium comes to a close. I'm not a Yankees fan, but I'll pull for them to close the most historical stadium in American pro sports in style.

Rabid Cougar
09-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Fenway !!!!!!

headhunter
09-21-2008, 11:36 PM
why is the new stadium so expensive? from what I have read it doesn't seem to be the biggest or most elegant stadium. But it is New York

eagles_victory
09-22-2008, 02:20 AM
This is probably the most history filled stadium in the history of American sports as Jr said so I do think it is a pretty big deal that it closes. Found it intresting they didnt close it on the last day of the season or with Boston or something.

boba fett
09-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
My mother has been a Yankee fan since she was a kid back in the 50's so tonight will be a sad one for her as the stadium comes to a close. I'm not a Yankees fan, but I'll pull for them to close the most historical stadium in American pro sports in style. My mom is just a fan of baseball so she was watching. Called to remind me and I didn't have the heart to tell her "WHO CARES...I'M WATCHING THE COWBOYS.

I'm not a Yankee fan, but I respect their tradition and history. It sucks when old ballparks/stadiums close down.

I'm excited about the new Cowboy stadium, but it will be weird watching games next year in a new building.

areacode337
09-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Someone needs to check with Steinbrener (sp) and see if he knows where Joe Torre is at...just a couple wins from the playoffs.......AGAIN...............

crzyjournalist03
09-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I actually care.

Yankee stadium was always on my lists of "Places I'd like to see", but I never had the chance. Historically, it's a great park. I couldn't care less for the team, but I really appreciate the historical significance of everything that the park resembles.

I mean, it was the first ballpark ever to be called a "stadium". There are so many minute things about it that are significant...SI did a tremendous article on it last week.

ziggy29
09-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Yankee Stadium was certainly a sports cathedral, but seeing as I hate the Yankees with a passion, the only shame about last night's "final game" is that they won and thus avoided being mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in it.

BreckTxLonghorn
09-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I actually care.

Yankee stadium was always on my lists of "Places I'd like to see", but I never had the chance. Historically, it's a great park. I couldn't care less for the team, but I really appreciate the historical significance of everything that the park resembles.

I mean, it was the first ballpark ever to be called a "stadium". There are so many minute things about it that are significant...SI did a tremendous article on it last week.

In July of this year I was watching a baseball game with my dad, and we started talking about stadiums and how we wish we could have been to Yankee Stadium before the end. "We should try and get tickets anyways and just go," I said half-jokingly. My dad looked me straight in the eye. "I'm in if you are."

And thus, on September 13 at 11:30 am, I walked into Yankee Stadium for the first (and last) time of my life.

You can hate the Yankees. You can hate Baseball. But I challenge anyone to walk into that stadium and not feel this history. The old walkways, the awnings that used to cover the upper decks, memorial park. It was just amazing. We were sort of in the nosebleeds, but it didnt matter--it was a great view. Everyone around us were the nicest people (all true fans, no 'show-ups' like us), we all stood up for God Bless America, and then we all yelled "Take me Out to the Ballgame" at the top of our lungs. I had a Nathan's hot dog, a $10 beer, and scorecard with the program. Yankees may have lost, but all things considered, it was an amazing day.

ziggy29
09-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn You can hate the Yankees. You can hate Baseball. But I challenge anyone to walk into that stadium and not feel this history. The old walkways, the awnings that used to cover the upper decks, memorial park.
Oh yeah, no doubt, even as a a Yankees hater that's obvious to me.

My wife is quite a history buff and has a degree in history. I remember the look on her face and the tears streaming down her eyes when she walked Independence Hall for the first time. Picturing the "all time greats" of the American republic doing their thing so many years ago -- just all those Yankee greats did, and as so many other significant events that occurred there -- I have to imagine the feeling to be incredible.

I do regret never getting to a game there. We've done Fenway once (against the Yankees, no less), so at least that one is safe in the memory banks.

JR2004
09-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
In July of this year I was watching a baseball game with my dad, and we started talking about stadiums and how we wish we could have been to Yankee Stadium before the end. "We should try and get tickets anyways and just go," I said half-jokingly. My dad looked me straight in the eye. "I'm in if you are."

And thus, on September 13 at 11:30 am, I walked into Yankee Stadium for the first (and last) time of my life.

You can hate the Yankees. You can hate Baseball. But I challenge anyone to walk into that stadium and not feel this history. The old walkways, the awnings that used to cover the upper decks, memorial park. It was just amazing. We were sort of in the nosebleeds, but it didnt matter--it was a great view. Everyone around us were the nicest people (all true fans, no 'show-ups' like us), we all stood up for God Bless America, and then we all yelled "Take me Out to the Ballgame" at the top of our lungs. I had a Nathan's hot dog, a $10 beer, and scorecard with the program. Yankees may have lost, but all things considered, it was an amazing day.

Awesome story. My mom and I wanted to make it to a game there this year, but we weren't able to go. I'm going to try to take her to the first game in the new stadium to make up for missing a game in the old one. Obviously it won't be the same, but it'll be cool to be there for the opening of the new Yankee Stadium.

BreckTxLonghorn
09-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Awesome story. My mom and I wanted to make it to a game there this year, but we weren't able to go. I'm going to try to take her to the first game in the new stadium to make up for missing a game in the old one. Obviously it won't be the same, but it'll be cool to be there for the opening of the new Yankee Stadium.

After the great experience we had, and with New York in general, we're going back some time next season , either to watch the subway series or to watch them play the Rangers. This time we're bringing the ladies--they got a little jealous:). There's a lot of fuss about the new stadium, but it does look nice, and its still in the same area.