PDA

View Full Version : The 10-1 Raises Its Ugly Head!

BobcatBenny
09-21-2008, 04:53 PM
http://www.wacotrib.com/prep/content/sports/highschools/stories/2008/09/21/09212008wacconine.html

Another night at the office

Evant quarterback Aaron Doyle’s numbers don’t seem real, except for two factors — one, I got them directly from Evant coach Keith Stifflemire, whom I trust, and two, he keeps producing the same brand of phenomenal stats.

For the moment, forget Doyle’s passing and rushing yards, which were spectacular in the Elks’ 56-14 win over Cross Plains on Friday — the Evant superhero had 34 tackles.

THIRTY-FOUR TACKLES! That’s half a season’s worth, and Doyle didn’t even play the entire game.

Of those 34 stops, Doyle made 16 of them behind the line of scrimmage. He also forced three fumbles and recovered one of them.

Stifflemire said there’s a somewhat reasonable explanation for the gaudy stats. Evant has gone to a 10-1 defensive scheme, taking the seemingly high-risk formation from the Celina Bobcats.

Doyle is the one in the 10-1, meaning the rest of the Elks line up at the line of scrimmage and clog the opposing offense. That frees up Doyle, a Division I prospect who said last week he’s close to committing to Oklahoma State, to sprint straight for the ball carrier without the hassle of being blocked.

Doyle might end up playing quarterback in college, but he’s basically being recruited as an athlete. Stifflemire said Oklahoma State has stated it will give Doyle a shot at playing quarterback in college, but the Cowboys also like the idea of playing him at linebacker.

He seems to be up to the task.

OK, so Doyle played offense, too, on Friday.

He passed for 346 yards, four touchdowns and two two-point conversions, and rushed seven times for 105 yards and three more touchdowns.

navscanmaster
09-21-2008, 05:00 PM
That is one heck of a game. Like a parent suiting up in a pee-wee football game.:eek:

BobcatBenny
09-21-2008, 05:04 PM
I guess if you have one dominating player, the 10-1 is a match! :eek:

Rabid Cougar
09-21-2008, 06:40 PM
The kid could play for any 5A school. He is a stud and in 1A there are few kids that can compare.