PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Gobblers vs. La Vernia Bears

KingRob
09-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Thought I would get this going. Cuero (3-0) vs. La Vernia (3-1), Friday at La Vernia.

Okay folks, who do you think will win and why?

IMO, I think the Gobblers will run away with it in the second half. Gobblers just too fast for the Bears.

Survey Says:
Cuero - 34
La Vernia - 14

LET'S GO CUERO!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

44INAROW
09-21-2008, 04:43 PM
you'll know me, I don't make predictions (on Cuero) but I kinda/sorta did last week and I was kicking myself towards the end of the game - I swore I wouldn't do that again :D :D :D so I'll keep my opinion to myself and say GO MEAN GREEN ;)

Gontex
09-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Looks like my Apaches aren't going to show up this year, so I'll have to get my high school football enjoyment through the Gobblers. Truthfully, I pull for the Gobblers when they are not playing my Apaches. Be careful with LaVernia. Don't underestimate them. They are usually going to be very well coached and will have some big old corn fed boys playing. Good luck.

Old Tiger
09-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Cuero by as many as they want ;)

Nursebetty
09-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Of course it's gonna be MEAN GREEN all the way!!!!!!!!!

44INAROW
09-21-2008, 08:56 PM
I saw on another board that this is La Vernia's Homecoming game. I might be mistaken, but I think we were their Homecoming game in 2006. I am expecting a good game, the Bears always play us tough! Do we have any LV posters or anyone who's played them this year that can give us some info/insight on the Bears?

Old Green
09-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I saw on another board that this is La Vernia's Homecoming game. I might be mistaken, but I think we were their Homecoming game in 2006. I am expecting a good game, the Bears always play us tough! Do we have any LV posters or anyone who's played them this year that can give us some info/insight on the Bears? That one guy thinks they have the speed to keep up with the Gobblers.

Hears the LV results so far.
http://www.3adownlow.com/27-3A.php

headhunter
09-21-2008, 10:32 PM
I would like to see Cuero use their TE more. I don't think LaVernia has the team speed to stay with the Gobblers.

I think this game will be close at first but I can see Cuero being able to turn it on late and win this one by 2 or 3 scores.

KingRob
09-22-2008, 04:45 AM
Thought I would add a little history of the Cuero - La Vernia series. Since 1990, the teams have played against each other 10 times, with Cuero holding a 9-1 edge.

Cuero's biggest win was in 1997, 50-0.

La Vernia's win was in 1992, 13-7 (It was in 1992 that Cuero finished 4-6, and went winless in district for the time since 1960).

BOCEPHUS
09-22-2008, 05:46 AM
cuero good football team

la vernia better than u think

44INAROW
09-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by KingRob

La Vernia's win was in 1992, 13-7 (It was in 1992 that Cuero finished 4-6, and went winless in district for the time since 1960).

little more history -

then went to the State Finals in 1993 :) losing to SLC 12 to 6 :(

KingRob
09-22-2008, 07:31 AM
little more history -

then went to the State Finals in 1993 :) losing to SLC 12 to 6 :(

Actually Lorey, it was SLC 14 -6. ;)

44INAROW
09-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by KingRob
Actually Lorey, it was SLC 14 -6. ;)

dang - I am slipping in my old age :D

mean_green
09-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Cuero 49
La Vernia 14

JT44
09-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Has LaVernia made any additions to their stadium? last time it was pretty tight, in '06 we just sat on the half filled home side.

Cuero fans, get there before 6:30 to pick your favorite spot.

Buffgal
09-22-2008, 03:10 PM
LaVernia visitor side is small. Due to some construction, the parking for visitors was located in the park behind the visitors side. It was well marked from the highway and easy to get to but a little walk to the stands. If you have any handicapped fans, make sure you watch for the signs posted on the parking reserved for handicapped. If you park in the city park area, you can wheel someone from there but then there are stairs going up from the gate to the field. Park in the designated Handicap spots and you will come in near the scoreboard and avoid the steps.

Haven't seen Cuero play but LaVernia has huge, athletic kids (watch for #88) on both sides of the ball & they have some great speed in the backfield and @ QB. The fumbles that the Bears lost to Giddings were their downfall in our game as Giddings capitalized on these mistakes with scores. La Vernia beat Bandera, lost to Buffs and beat a good Wimberely team. They will not be a pushover IMO. I was impressed with the Bears team, overall above average size and speed. I was also impressed with the overall family atmosphere at LaVernia, everyone was there having a good time, visiting, sitting in lawn chairs, selling Bear t shirts and very pleasant in the concession area. This may sound stupid to some but having gone to many many out of town places, you don't always get this kind of welcome. So I really appreciate it when I get it when visiting.

Boomer
09-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Do you remember Cuero fans the last time we played in La Vernia, the whole La Vernia side was yelling "overrated" over and over. Cuero's side was sitting back, quiet! That made me sick! Just because we are in the stands does not mean we can't take part in the game.

Let's get loud and do our part as Cuero Gobbler Fans. Let's pump up the team, from start to finish. I promise you, those players will feed on our excitement. If it is homecoming for LV, you know they will be loud like 06'.

Go Mean Green!!!

JT44
09-22-2008, 03:47 PM
If I remember correctly, that game back in '06 was played w/out Cuero's top two receivers. Tre Gray was injured early on in the game. Also, I don't remember who the RB was, was the RB injured in that game?

Anyway, it was a gutty performance by the gobblers last time they were in LV.
LV came out to play and Cuero was still recovering from the game the previous week.
It was the game after the LH/Cuero thriller with Brent Bode coming up short and out of time against the gobblers.

Hopefully they recover and get ready for another good game this week.

JT44
09-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
Do you remember Cuero fans the last time we played in La Vernia, the whole La Vernia side was yelling "overrated" over and over. Cuero's side was sitting back, quiet! That made me sick! Just because we are in the stands does not mean we can't take part in the game.

Let's get loud and do our part as Cuero Gobbler Fans. Let's pump up the team, from start to finish. I promise you, those players will feed on our excitement. If it is homecoming for LV, you know they will be loud like 06'.

Go Mean Green!!!

I sat on the home side, it was very frustrating to hear those chants:mad:

Boomer
09-22-2008, 05:38 PM
I think your right JT44. There were some injuries. I know Gray for sure.

GreenGobbla
09-22-2008, 06:05 PM
speaking of Gray, did anyone happen to see him catch his 1st touchdown for richmond on saturday

44INAROW
09-22-2008, 07:59 PM
I think your right JT44. There were some injuries. I know Gray for sure.

I remember Domingo Ruiz had that great defensive move keeping the ball out of the endzone on a pass and he was playing with a separated shoulder. For some reason, I am thinking Quincey wasn't playing that night (might be totally off) Mr44 thinks Fabian was hurt that night as well.:confused:

and way to go Tre in Richmond :clap: :clap: :clap:

Footballhudini
09-22-2008, 08:32 PM
I think the bears should take this one by 9+.

CueroDad08
09-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini

Do you have any of that your smoking left? We all want to have just as much fun as you.

CueroDad08
09-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Cuero will again control the lines. This O line could be even better than the 05 line.
49 - 21

mean_green
09-22-2008, 09:10 PM
In that game Cuero had several injuries. First, Tre Grey was hurt, Quincey Whittington was hurt, thats two all state players. Domingo Ruiz was hurt and played sparingly that game, but he did play when it counted and made a great play to end the game. Last year La Vernia played a much healthier Cuero Team and lost big, might have been somewhere around 49-7 or something like that. La Vernia is always BIG. But this year I think the Gobblers have too much firepower for the Bears. La Vernia will play hard no doubt, but dont forget, Cuero's starting O-line and D-line are massive as well. Lots of Speed, with an outstanding QB for the Gobblers, kind of hard to go against the Gobblers in this one. I will say, La Vernia is a better team than last year, and I think the Gobblers are proving they might be better than they were last year as well. Im sticking to my prediction from earlier. Too much speeed and size from Cuero.

rojosgirl
09-23-2008, 11:03 AM
No added room. Plan on making like a sardine!

GreenMachine
09-23-2008, 06:11 PM
This game will not be within 3 td's. The Gobblers have WAY too much firepower for the bears. I will predict Cuero 49 - LaVernia 14.:thumbsup: ;)

bandera7
09-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Cuero wins big. I am hoping Bandera gets LV again in the playoffs. We are consistently good against them in round 2...:D

garciap77
09-24-2008, 08:17 AM
Cuero rolls on this one!

hsfootballfan
09-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by bandera7
Cuero wins big. I am hoping Bandera gets LV again in the playoffs. We are consistently good against them in round 2...:D

Didn't LV beat Bandera in the first round of the playoffs in '06?:thinking:

As for the game against Cuero, yes, LV has more speed this year and is IMO a better team than last year, but I don't think they can hang with Cuero for the entire game. Maybe at the beginning, but definitely not for the duration. Cuero is too fast and is a better all-around team. Good luck to both teams.

rojosgirl
09-24-2008, 10:35 AM
LaVernia beat Bandera during the regular season in '06 but lost to them in the playoffs that year.

hsfootballfan
09-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
LaVernia beat Bandera during the regular season in '06 but lost to them in the playoffs that year.

I thought LV beat Bandera in the first round and then lost to Pleasanton in the 2nd round, because I remember going to the
Pleasanton-LV game at Ferris Stadium. Was that '06 or do I have my years totally mixed up? I know last year Bandera lost to LV in the regular season and then beat them in the first round. Isn't '06 when LV had Cory Baker as quarterback?

GreenGobbla
09-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by hsfootballfan
I thought LV beat Bandera in the first round and then lost to Pleasanton in the 2nd round, because I remember going to the
Pleasanton-LV game at Ferris Stadium. Was that '06 or do I have my years totally mixed up? I know last year Bandera lost to LV in the regular season and then beat them in the first round. Isn't '06 when LV had Cory Baker as quarterback?

Cory Baker was their quarterback in 06

buff4life
09-24-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Do you have any of that your smoking left? We all want to have just as much fun as you.

It's an opinion, he could ask you what your smoking if you think cuero will beat LV by 28

mean_green
09-24-2008, 12:46 PM
He would be smoking the common sense pipe, I respect La Vernia, but Cuero is too much.

44INAROW
09-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
It's an opinion, he could ask you what your smoking if you think cuero will beat LV by 28

I think I'll bookmark this one.........:p

Not saying Cuero will win by 28 - but we won 49-0 (I think) last year - so it's not impossible :cool:

don't bogart CueroDad08 - :D

and yes, Cory Baker was the QB in 05 and 06 - he was a stud - and a top knotch golfer as well.......... (where is he now anyway)

GreenGobbla
09-24-2008, 01:40 PM
I think I'll bookmark this one.........:p

Not saying Cuero will win by 28 - but we won 49-0 (I think) last year - so it's not impossible :cool:

don't bogart CueroDad08 - :D

and yes, Cory Baker was the QB in 05 and 06 - he was a stud - and a top knotch golfer as well.......... (where is he now anyway)

i was wondering the same thing, played with him in regionals and saw him the state golf tournament as well.

hsfootballfan
09-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Saw a story on Baker in the SA express-news a couple of weeks ago - he's a sophomore at Eastern New Mexico State, and if I'm not mistaken I think he's been the starting QB for them for a few games and has done very well.

What I had heard thru the grapevine is he got some sort of offer from UT for golf, but turned it down because he really wanted to play football, and at UT it was an either/or thing, while at ENM he can play both. (This is of course third-hand information that's been spread around, so take it for what it's worth - not vouching for 100% accuracy)

crabman
09-24-2008, 11:00 PM
I just checked ENMU website and two games ago Baker was the quarterback and set a school record with 62 passes attempted. He only had 28 completions but that is a lot of chunking.

Another 3A product, J.J. Harp of Argyle started last week and was only 10 of 25 with two interceptions. Looks like ENMU needs some receivers.

44INAROW
09-25-2008, 11:15 AM
I ran across the below comment the other day - Can someone explain to me what this guy/gal was saying? I am not criticizing anything, I just don't understand what this means. :confused: :confused:

"you guys are a little more conventional and rely on the QB too much"

taken from below......

"You have another Whittington? I don't think so. I mean you guys have tons of speed but so does LV ........ You guys are a little more conventional and rely on the QB to much. I think it will be fun...... The last time LV beat Cuero was in 1992 at LaVernia. That was a while back. Bears are about due."

pirate4state
09-25-2008, 11:36 AM
I ran across the below comment the other day - Can someone explain to me what this guy/gal was saying? I am not criticizing anything, I just don't understand what this means. :confused: :confused:

"you guys are a little more conventional and rely on the QB too much"

taken from below......

"You have another Whittington? I don't think so. I mean you guys have tons of speed but so does LV ........ You guys are a little more conventional and rely on the QB to much. I think it will be fun...... The last time LV beat Cuero was in 1992 at LaVernia. That was a while back. Bears are about due."

Where did you read that? Sounds like she thinks her Bears can eat your gobblers! :eek: :D

Maybe she thinks your offense is too vanilla and yall don't shake things up enough? :thinking:

Maybe in La Vernia they throw the kitchen sink at you!

44INAROW
09-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Where did you read that? Sounds like she thinks her Bears can eat your gobblers! :eek: :D

it was on a San Antonio website (I'll pm the link) - I was just confused by the relying on the QB statement - Kinda hard to catch a pass or receive a hand-off without the QB - maybe I am taking it to literal or something - like Bullaholic said - it's slow so what the heck, huh :cool: :cool: :cool:

pirate4state
09-25-2008, 11:50 AM
it was on a San Antonio website (I'll pm the link) - I was just confused by the relying on the QB statement - Kinda hard to catch a pass or receive a hand-off without the QB - maybe I am taking it to literal or something - like Bullaholic said - it's slow so what the heck, huh :cool: :cool: :cool: Yes you are taking it to literal. :p

44INAROW
09-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Yes you are taking it to literal. :p

I have that problem :D :D LITERALLY ;)

hsfootballfan
09-25-2008, 12:55 PM

I guess their idea of "fun" is losing your homecoming game, because that's what's going to happen.;)

I saw that on the SA board, too. Didn't understand it then and don't understand it now.

Boomer
09-25-2008, 09:28 PM
what SA board are you talking about?

Nursebetty
09-26-2008, 06:04 AM
GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

KingRob
09-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Does anyone know what the Freshman and JV scores were?

44INAROW
09-26-2008, 10:48 AM
LV won the Freshman game not real sure of the score but it was something like 34-20

LV was leading at half @ the JV game but I don't have a final score.

LV players were B I G..........

I did see the end of the USC vs Oregon State game though :)

Boomer
09-26-2008, 11:15 AM
JV lost 12-0 I believe. I hated to see both teams from LV celebrating after winning on our home field. It's going to be a good game tonight!!

gobbler grad
09-26-2008, 12:36 PM
I think the bears should take this one by 9+. :fnypost:

LH Panther Mom
09-26-2008, 12:46 PM
I hated to see both teams from LV celebrating after winning on our home field.
Did they act tacky in their celebrations?

rojosgirl
09-26-2008, 01:04 PM
When anybody beats Cuero on any level in anything, they celebrate big. We all know that the games on Friday night are the real deal!

Footballhudini
09-27-2008, 03:47 PM

...:D:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

KingRob
09-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
When anybody beats Cuero on any level in anything, they celebrate big. We all know that the games on Friday night are the real deal!

Well said!:clap:

Congrats to the Bears on the big win!

navscanmaster
09-27-2008, 04:34 PM
[B]...:D:B]

YOU DA MAN!!!!! (or woman?):D

http://img.mauj.com/an/b/BowingSmiley.gif

buff4life
09-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08

how do you want your crow prepared :devil: :D :devil:

CueroDad08
09-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
how do you want your crow prepared :devil: :D :devil:

your a little late..............

SintonFan_inAustin
09-28-2008, 07:33 PM
...:D:D :D :D :D :D :D :D you also did good earlier in the season on Cuero/Beeville game if you are also the same poster from 4a website.

Footballhudini
09-29-2008, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
you also did good earlier in the season on Cuero/Beeville game if you are also the same poster from 4a website.

Yes Yes. Hudini is universal.

BOCEPHUS
09-29-2008, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by BOCEPHUS
cuero good football team

la vernia better than u think

Y'ALL REMEMBER THIS????????????

UH HUH, KNOWS WHAT I SAY!!!!

U'S WUZ MAK'EN FUN OF ME, NOW WHAT U SAY?

Footballhudini
09-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by BOCEPHUS
Y'ALL REMEMBER THIS????????????

UH HUH, KNOWS WHAT I SAY!!!!

U'S WUZ MAK'EN FUN OF ME, NOW WHAT U SAY?

sounds like jibbrish to me