PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Hill (a mom's perspective)

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2008, 04:16 PM
***Disclaimer: This is not intended for any one person, or necessarily people who post on here. It applies to some posters, some readers, some parents of past players, and some in the stands every week.*** Read it or not, agree with it or not, pick it apart to your heart's content. It's all good.

There is a LOT of pressure on this team, both coaches & players. And a big part of it comes from themselves and each other. It goes without saying, there's no history lesson needed here.

This is the same group of coaches that knows what it takes to get the players where they need to be. So when you (collective) question "why" they didn't do whatever you (collective) thought was "best" for the team, remember that little tidbit.

The LH TEAM that had their first game 8/29 is the 2008 version of the Panthers, not the 2006 version, not the 2007 version. No, we do not have the same offensive weapons across the board. And no, we do not have the same defensive weapons across the board. Many games, they will be physically outmatched in size & speed. That's nothing new to most of these kids. Many have been doing it for over a year or two & they've played (and beaten) some of the best 3A athletes in the state.

They have their own identity that they had to find. And it's my opinion that they have found it. I don't recall one play so far that I felt like any one of them on the field was not giving it 100%. They appear to have learned to depend on each other, that their mettle is solid, and that there can be no "quit". Are they beatable? Of course! There's not a team, any level that's not.

They've had 3 knock down drag out games so far. Yes, they have been close, but they fought every second and won. It doesn't take D1 athletes, it doesn't take perfection at every position or on every play. It does take hard work, determination, heart, and yes, a little luck. Getting to the top of the mountain is the easy part.....it's continuing to stay there that's difficult. Keep doing what you're doing boys and leave it all on the field every play!

Snydertigersrul
09-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
***Disclaimer: This is not intended for any one person, or necessarily people who post on here. It applies to some posters, some readers, some parents of past players, and some in the stands every week.*** Read it or not, agree with it or not, pick it apart to your heart's content. It's all good.

There is a LOT of pressure on this team, both coaches & players. And a big part of it comes from themselves and each other. It goes without saying, there's no history lesson needed here.

This is the same group of coaches that knows what it takes to get the players where they need to be. So when you (collective) question "why" they didn't do whatever you (collective) thought was "best" for the team, remember that little tidbit.

The LH TEAM that had their first game 8/29 is the 2008 version of the Panthers, not the 2006 version, not the 2007 version. No, we do not have the same offensive weapons across the board. And no, we do not have the same defensive weapons across the board. Many games, they will be physically outmatched in size & speed. That's nothing new to most of these kids. Many have been doing it for over a year or two & they've played (and beaten) some of the best 3A athletes in the state.

They have their own identity that they had to find. And it's my opinion that they have found it. I don't recall one play so far that I felt like any one of them on the field was not giving it 100%. They appear to have learned to depend on each other, that their mettle is solid, and that there can be no "quit". Are they beatable? Of course! There's not a team, any level that's not.

They've had 3 knock down drag out games so far. Yes, they have been close, but they fought every second and won. It doesn't take D1 athletes, it doesn't take perfection at every position or on every play. It does take hard work, determination, heart, and yes, a little luck. Getting to the top of the mountain is the easy part.....it's continuing to stay there that's difficult. Keep doing what you're doing boys and leave it all on the field every play!

Winning breeds success, even with losing players to graduation. In the last three years, Liberty Hill has learned how to win and proved that when they didn't play their bests games against Wylie and Brownwood, but they still won.

ProudHornetMom
09-21-2008, 05:56 PM

And all football moms say AMEN, bravo and thank you. :clap: :clap: :inlove:

TAMUGRAD
09-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Good post LH Panther Mom.

You nailed it. Every team is different from year to year. With every class that graduates and every class of underclassmen that comes on there are differences. Sometimes those differences are subtle and sometimes the dynamics of the team changes completely. Your 05, 06, and 07 teams have given any class that comes up behind them the road map. They will know what it takes to get there and most importantly that it can be done and has been done in their very locker room.

Whatever the case for LH, it sounds like your 2008 boys are doing just fine. They are giving it their all, not giving up, and getting the W's. These close games will only make them stronger. Blowouts are nice and comfy for the fans, but the close ones let the kids know they can do it when they have to. They also learn to trust each other to get it done.

I miss having a son on the field for Cuero. My boy graduated last year and is away at college. My middle one is a Jr. and still cheering so I'm seeing it from a little different perspective this year.

44INAROW
09-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Good Post LHPM - :clap:

TAMUGRAD
09-21-2008, 06:34 PM
You must have scared the men folk off with the title of your thread.

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by TAMUGRAD
You must have scared the men folk off with the title of your thread.
LOL! Probably :D

RTigMom
09-21-2008, 07:23 PM
LHPM,

It was good to meet you Friday. Good post! Also enjoyed watching your boys play. They gave it 100% and never quit! And, your fans are awesome! I loved watching the Dad lead the cheers in the stands. It"s different sitting in the stands watching a team that your kid doesn't play for (although I didn't sit much) was too busy cheering for your team. It gives you a whole new perspective on the game. Good luck to the Panthers this year! And thanks for always having a kind word for Rockdale.

From one football Mom to another!

j_dog
09-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Way to tell 'em Mom! :clap:

wimbo_pro
09-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Winning is not so easy. Win it all, this talk all goes away. Lose, and they come out of the woodwork to tell you "we told you so". Forget about them. Win. Just keep winning. And when the winning is over, look back and smile. Most people don't ever get the chance to look back at what LH has done. It will be a great view in the rear view mirror. Breathe it in, enjoy..and keep winning.

CelinaProud
09-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Very nice post. I concur on every level and do believe in what you wrote! Couldn't have said it better.

blowfish
09-21-2008, 08:56 PM
I can only talk about the 2008 LH team since the first time I ever saw them play was against us here at Bulldog stadium. I have no idea how they were in the past but these young men this year are truly awesome. It is obvious that the are dedicated and well coached.

I know for sure that they made us a better team and that it will help us in the playoffs. I also have no doubt these kids will be playing in December and isnt that the goal during two-a-days and off season.

Good luck to LH.

BEAST
09-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Couldnt agree more. Great post. That is what was so good about the game Friday night, neither team flinched. High School Football at its finest. Just ashame that there is always boneheads in the stand that know more than Tom Landry himself, funny how those folks have never been and never will be coaches.

BEAST

Panther Dad X 2
09-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Great Post. We as Panther Parents agree.

sotxrat
09-21-2008, 09:19 PM
great post lhpm!!!!!!

but there are very few people much less kids that are going thru what the lh players and coaches are doing......it is all good!!!!

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by sotxrat
great post lhpm!!!!!!

but there are very few people much less kids that are going thru what the lh players and coaches are doing......it is all good!!!!
And you know, even though my thoughts came from recent events and our team, most can be applied to folks across the state. If you're (not "you" but collective lol) aren't there (or on here) supporting the team, then you're not helping them.

BEAST
09-21-2008, 09:36 PM
And you know, even though my thoughts came from recent events and our team, most can be applied to folks across the state. If you're (not "you" but collective lol) aren't there (or on here) supporting the team, then you're not helping them.

I couldnt agree more. I hate fair weather fans. Just stay home.

BEAST

solocam
09-21-2008, 10:16 PM
Great write up Panther Mom

headhunter
09-21-2008, 10:28 PM
I liked your post, I agree with almost everything said, I really like the part about "it takes a little luck" That is so true, and sometimes the difference is a lucky bounce, or having a referee give you a call, or having a ball hit the upright and still go through. The scary thing about high school football is that us fans sometimes forget that we are expecting 15 to 18 year old kids to be perfect. They are going to make mistakes and they are going to fail at some point. LH has enjoyed a great deal of success and they are much deserving of it. Those kids work hard and they have bought into the system.

About their new identity, it's still early, they will continue to impress and when playoffs roll around you will know more about your team and they will then have the chance to make their mark on how they stand with the rest of the state.

I look forward to seeing this team play in the playoffs. Still not a huge fan of their style of offense, but I respect how good they are at what they choose to do, also they play with class, and they expect to win. Those characteristics are what you need to bring home another state championship.

Trashman
09-21-2008, 10:43 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

OldBison75
09-21-2008, 10:52 PM
You have nailed the situation perfectly in most school districts adcross the state with high expectations. I want to add that the LH team , fans, and coaches are the most classy, dedicated group I have seen in High School football in my 52 years.

Yeah, there are probably a few that can't see what this program has accomplished and is still accomplishing. It's hard for them to believe that the team still finds a way to win even when they change the parts. It is very easy to sit in the stands and pick apart a team, but quite difficult to be the coaches on the sideline making the decisions in 40 seconds that will determine the success of your team.

My heart goes out to the kids that have to hear how they don't measure up to previous teams and the criticism of thier abilities. This team has proven that they can win by beating not only everyone they have played, but beating some of the best the state has to offer.

LHPM tell those boys that no matter what anyone says, they are a class act that knows how to win. Keep thier heads up, dedicate themselves to the goal, and continue to believe in the program that has been proven a success. They will succeed because they believe in themselves, not because some nut thinks they are not athletic, experienced, big, or fast enough. Never underestimate thier heart and will to win.

Liberty Hill is NUMBER 1 unil someone beats them. Then they will still be NUMBER 1 in the hearts of true fans.

espn1
09-22-2008, 12:34 AM
LOL! Probably :D No! Most men stay up in front and smoke cigars and have a drink! While the women sit in the kitchen and talk about sewing and women stuff! It's a Venus Mars thing. That's why the boys play football and the girls are the cheerleaders!

slingshot
09-22-2008, 01:10 AM
Great post! Great insight too by some other folks... Think about this though LHPM--if you have a successful, quality program and the kids are feeling pressure/stress for not winning easily enough--imagine having a successful quality program and losing a couple of games in a row like us or Brownwood. Kids played their hearts out, they know they have a good team, but those doubts start to creep in. We hurt for them. I think Coach Sandifer (and I'm sure coach Freeman at BWD too) has done his best job ever keeping these kids spirits up and believing in themselves...

nobogey72
09-22-2008, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by espn1
No! Most men stay up in front and smoke cigars and have a drink! While the women sit in the kitchen and talk about sewing and women stuff! It's a Venus Mars thing. That's why the boys play football and the girls are the cheerleaders!

Man, that was pretty cheavenistic (sp?). I've always said that the only thing I hate worse than a cheavenistic man is... a woman that won't shut up and do what she's told! :D

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2008, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by espn1
No! Most men stay up in front and smoke cigars and have a drink! While the women sit in the kitchen and talk about sewing and women stuff! It's a Venus Mars thing. That's why the boys play football and the girls are the cheerleaders!
Don't you have a weak secondary somewhere you should be talking about? :p

figured some wouldn't get it

wimbo_pro
09-22-2008, 08:03 AM
<<<This is meant tongue-in-cheek, so no one get on me about this>>>

WaaaaAAAaaa...we are winning too much!!!WaaaaAAAaaaa...it's too much pressure!!! WaaaaAAAaaaaa...how are we going to deal with all the wins!!! WaaaaAAAAaaaaa...we are the best in the state for possibly 3 years in a row and its too tough!!!WaaaaAAAaaaaaaaaa:)

Life could be MUCH worse for your team...trust me.

Ranger Mom
09-22-2008, 08:18 AM

figured some wouldn't get it

Can you imagine me, you and Rita sitting in a kitchen talking about sewing???:D :D

bulldog64
09-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Good post.

nobogey72
09-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Can you imagine me, you and Rita sitting in a kitchen talking about sewing???:D :D

Maybe about sewing someones lips shut.:D

espn1
09-22-2008, 10:56 AM

figured some wouldn't get it Watch the film and see where the ball went the second half. It was actually Corner Back abuse!

Panther Dad X 2
09-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
<<<This is meant tongue-in-cheek, so no one get on me about this>>>

WaaaaAAAaaa...we are winning too much!!!WaaaaAAAaaaa...it's too much pressure!!! WaaaaAAAaaaaa...how are we going to deal with all the wins!!! WaaaaAAAAaaaaa...we are the best in the state for possibly 3 years in a row and its too tough!!!WaaaaAAAaaaaaaaaa:)

Life could be MUCH worse for your team...trust me.

You would'nt by chance listen to Bubba The Love Sponge would you? That is a famous line from Ned!!!

Again PantherMom Great Post. My boys one on Varsity and one in 8th grade feel the pressure.

wimbo_pro
09-22-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Panther Dad X 2
You would'nt by chance listen to Bubba The Love Sponge would you? That is a famous line from Ned!!!

Again PantherMom Great Post. My boys one on Varsity and one in 8th grade feel the pressure.

HaHaHa...actually, I love it when Artie from the Howard Stern Show does it...who I am sure you know is close to Bubba! Waaaaaa

boba fett
09-22-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't know Mom I think you had certain folks in mind and it looks like at least ONE of them has chimed in!

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah, the flag. :D

Ranger Mom
09-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeah, the flag. :D

We wouldn't be in a kitchen though...we would be somewhere they were serving margaritas!!:p :p

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2008, 12:42 PM
We wouldn't be in a kitchen though...we would be somewhere they were serving margaritas!!:p :p
Good point! :D

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by boba fett
I don't know Mom I think you had certain folks in mind and it looks like at least ONE of them has chimed in!
A few in mind, but some only read. (And probably some who have never heard of 3ADL. :eek: :p ) And you know in part it was for the team.

Rocket
09-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Unfortunately, people are idiots. That is why a post like this is needed. We had to do one on our BrownwoodLions.com Messageboard as well. They lose sight of what's important. I am guilty as well if I don't keep myself in check.

Once the winning is over, there will be a huge let down. Especially, if you lose Coach Vance. The pattern we have seen in Brownwood and Stephenville is the Super Coach and the right situation come along, win the State Championships, and then reitre or leave. Usually, they take the state championships along with them. Every season that Art Briles has been gone from Sville, they have got a little worse, with the exception of a few seasons, Snead's senior year, especially. The new head coach is always compared to the Legend that won the state titles.

You will always have your hardcore fan base that loves the Panthers for who they are and not for what they have done lately. The hardest thing to do is win multiple state titles with 2 different head coaches and programs. It just isn't that easy. Celina still runs the same program, but different head coach. That is my theory on how they have been able to keep it going over there and hats off to them for that. I may be wrong, but that is my take.

The saddest thing about it is this. The winning will probably continue. You will probably even go 4A, and the overall winning continue. You will win by 30 and hear somebody say we should have won by 40. But the fan base will be screaming for the next State Title, and a 10-2 Season will just be an ok season. Then, once the new coach cannot bring that next State Title in, the people will start talking and saying, "we will never win with this head coach" and the next thing you know you are going after a Vance protege or an Ex-Player that can bring that program and mentatlity back. i.e. Permian.

So once you taste of a State Title, your program will never be the same. Especially back to back's. The kids, the coach, and the town are now in a whole new spectrum called the "MUST WIN ZONE" and the fans that jumped on that bandwagon for the winning alone will utterly destroy the fun if you let them. It may be a conversation you hear at the donut shop or restaurant, or it may be a cell phone convo you hear while waiting in line, but the negativity will make you want to vomit because of the misinformed, unrealistic, uneducated, all knowing mentality of the fairweather fan.

With that said, enjoy your winning and your program and your state titles. You guys have a strong chance to get your Third in a Row and that will be somethng truly special if it happens. Good luck to Liberty Hill the rest of the season!

firstcat
09-22-2008, 01:07 PM

Great post. And to add a comment (or two )...
Each recent year has been a "different" team, a "different" dynamic, and a "different" result. '06 had the awesome privilege of being the first ever (LH) State Champs; '07 had the awesome privilege of being the first ever (LH) State Champs in an undefeated season, and so the bar is definitely set high for the '08 Panthers who will, no doubt, earn awesome privileges of their own (as they are ahead of the past in stats at this point).
This said, I ask that all who wish to comment (compare) remember that many of the '08 players had integral parts in each of the these past milestones, and those that might have been a bit less integral were setting records of their own on the Sub-Varsity levels.
It's the American Dream and yes, it trickles down to LH Panther Football...you always want the next "generation" to do better than the last...or we should anyway.
I can't wait to see how this particular Pride of Cats writes their page in history!!!!! I couldn't be more proud, win or lose.

RunTheFollow
09-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Rocket, that may have been the best post that I have read from you.

pirate4state
09-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Can you imagine me, you and Rita sitting in a kitchen talking about sewing???:D :D What's sewing??? :vrycnfsd:

Nice posts by several. Rocket you are so dead on! :clap:

slingshot
09-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by RunTheFollow
Rocket, that may have been the best post that I have read from you. Wow. You hit it on the head Rocket... no maybe to it--that was the best post I've read by you... Hats off. :clap:
Now back to our regularly scheduled back-biting/name calling and general bad behavour...

c bobcats run
09-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Rocket
Unfortunately, people are idiots. That is why a post like this is needed. We had to do one on our BrownwoodLions.com Messageboard as well. They lose sight of what's important. I am guilty as well if I don't keep myself in check.

Once the winning is over, there will be a huge let down. Especially, if you lose Coach Vance. The pattern we have seen in Brownwood and Stephenville is the Super Coach and the right situation come along, win the State Championships, and then reitre or leave. Usually, they take the state championships along with them. Every season that Art Briles has been gone from Sville, they have got a little worse, with the exception of a few seasons, Snead's senior year, especially. The new head coach is always compared to the Legend that won the state titles.

You will always have your hardcore fan base that loves the Panthers for who they are and not for what they have done lately. The hardest thing to do is win multiple state titles with 2 different head coaches and programs. It just isn't that easy. Celina still runs the same program, but different head coach. That is my theory on how they have been able to keep it going over there and hats off to them for that. I may be wrong, but that is my take.

The saddest thing about it is this. The winning will probably continue. You will probably even go 4A, and the overall winning continue. You will win by 30 and hear somebody say we should have won by 40. But the fan base will be screaming for the next State Title, and a 10-2 Season will just be an ok season. Then, once the new coach cannot bring that next State Title in, the people will start talking and saying, "we will never win with this head coach" and the next thing you know you are going after a Vance protege or an Ex-Player that can bring that program and mentatlity back. i.e. Permian.

So once you taste of a State Title, your program will never be the same. Especially back to back's. The kids, the coach, and the town are now in a whole new spectrum called the "MUST WIN ZONE" and the fans that jumped on that bandwagon for the winning alone will utterly destroy the fun if you let them. It may be a conversation you hear at the donut shop or restaurant, or it may be a cell phone convo you hear while waiting in line, but the negativity will make you want to vomit because of the misinformed, unrealistic, uneducated, all knowing mentality of the fairweather fan.

With that said, enjoy your winning and your program and your state titles. You guys have a strong chance to get your Third in a Row and that will be somethng truly special if it happens. Good luck to Liberty Hill the rest of the season!

Nah, we just recruit better than everyone else. Good pay and great benefits.

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by slingshot

Now back to our regularly scheduled back-biting/name calling and general bad behavour...
Good, because I can only take so much "gush". ;)

Necks_Fan
09-22-2008, 05:05 PM
LOL LHPM.

When I read that you said "getting to the top is the easy part,"

I thought.... man.... if it's so easy... how come we haven't won a state title yet.
'

LOL. I wish it was that "easy." :)

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
LOL LHPM.

When I read that you said "getting to the top is the easy part,"

I thought.... man.... if it's so easy... how come we haven't won a state title yet.
'

LOL. I wish it was that "easy." :)
Oh, it's NOT easy at all. But once there, staying focused, not getting big-headed, living up to expectations, getting through graduation, etc...staying there is hard.

(Besides, it's just something I swiped from Coach Vance. :D ;) )

nobogey72
09-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Here is my 2 cents worth on HS football and HS athletics in general. LH and Celina are definitely on a roll right now, no doubt about it. But, for those kids that were on and are on those teams---- If that is the best thing that ever happens to them in their lives----- they will have a pretty sad life. And, on the other foot-----If a kid isn't so lucky to be on a great team---let's say they go 1-9 his senior year (Graham for example):D , if that is the worst thing that ever happens to them, then they will have had a pretty amazing life. Something Coach Sandifer says quite often----- "Nothing is ever as good as it seems, and nothing is ever as bad as it seems" when it comes to HS athletics.

nobogey72
09-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Oh, it's NOT easy at all. But once there, staying focused, not getting big-headed, living up to expectations, getting through graduation, etc...staying there is hard.

(Besides, it's just something I swiped from Coach Vance. :D ;) )

And, even to put that in perspective-----getting there is hard, staying there is hard. 19 and 20 yr olds crawling around in the sand over in the middle east so that the rest of us can enjoy things like HS football----IS EVEN HARDER.

LH Panther Mom
09-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
But, for those kids that were on and are on those teams---- If that is the best thing that ever happens to them in their lives----- they will have a pretty sad life. And, on the other foot-----If a kid isn't so lucky to be on a great team---let's say they go 1-9 his senior year (Graham for example):D , if that is the worst thing that ever happens to them, then they will have had a pretty amazing life. Something Coach Sandifer says quite often----- "Nothing is ever as good as it seems, and nothing is ever as bad as it seems" when it comes to HS athletics.
Definitely agreed on all points. :)