PDA

View Full Version : The future of A&M's Sherman?

nunya
09-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Usually, by the third game, Aggies have an idea of a coach's fate.

Old Tiger
09-21-2008, 03:41 PM
this poll/post is irrelevent. He took over an Aggie team with very little talent. He needs at least 3 years to decide his fate and the Aggie alumni, boosters, and fans need to be patient

nunya
09-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
this poll/post is irrelevent. He took over an Aggie team with very little talent. He needs at least 3 years to decide his fate and the Aggie alumni, boosters, and fans need to be patient

So sayeth a Longhorn. Good reverse psychology. :cool:

Emerson1
09-21-2008, 03:46 PM
"Boosters, fans will be patient as long as tickets rake in cash"

That option is stupid. I doubt the fans or boosters care how much $$$ the school is making off of them.

nunya
09-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
"Boosters, fans will be patient as long as tickets rake in cash"

That option is stupid. I doubt the fans or boosters care how much $$$ the school is making off of them.

Where have you been the past century?

LionKing
09-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Sherman's recruiting efforts for his first year are terrible, he's gonna have to take a chance on some ''diamonds'' in the rough, because he's getting no love from hardly any of the top 250 D1 recruits in Texas or else where, that's gonna be his undoing pretty quick in College ball, even though his football knowledge and successful NFL experience are very good.

Old Tiger
09-21-2008, 03:56 PM
I think recuiting for A&M will start to go down hill. They have been competing with just Texas and Oklahoma for the top Texas talent. As of late you have LSU making a strong push into the Texas market. You could see the Aggies recruiting not recover IMO

nunya
09-21-2008, 03:57 PM
The issue I have with Sherman is that he comes across as everyone's favorite uncle. A&M needs some of that Brown temper pacing the sidelines.

What a colossal sleeping giant that program remains.

Emerson1
09-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by nunya
Where have you been the past century?
So you are saying the fans and boosters will be fine with being crappy every year as long as the stands are full?

Old Tiger
09-21-2008, 03:59 PM
The issue I have with Sherman is that he comes across as everyone's favorite uncle. A&M needs some of that Brown temper pacing the sidelines.

What a colossal sleeping giant that program remains. They will remain a "sleeping" giant as long as they are not the best team in the state

griff
09-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Another silly poll sprouted from Attention Deficit Disorder. Give the man a chance to install his program, recruit a few classes, and see what he produces on the field. To bring up this idea three games into his first season is stupid.

nunya
09-21-2008, 04:05 PM
So you are saying the fans and boosters will be fine with being crappy every year as long as the stands are full?

With their ticket prices, the stands don't NEED to be full to rake in cash. The "three-tier showplace" factor argument has grown cobwebs.

At this point, I don't care if they play at A&M Consolidated's Tigerland Stadium as long as they beat a team whose school can be found on a map somewhere besides Toys R Us

nunya
09-21-2008, 04:06 PM
They will remain a "sleeping" giant as long as they are not the best team in the state

I agree. Hats off to Texas Tech.

Emerson1
09-21-2008, 04:08 PM
With their ticket prices, the stands don't NEED to be full to rake in cash. The "three-tier showplace" factor argument has grown cobwebs.

At this point, I don't care if they play at A&M Consolidated's Tigerland Stadium as long as they beat a team whose school can be found on a map somewhere besides Toys R Us
Again, why would the fans or boosters give a crap if the school is raking in THEIR money when the team is going 5-6?

nunya
09-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Again, why would the fans or boosters give a crap if the school is raking in THEIR money when the team is going 5-6?

The same reason they tolerated Franchione. Next question.

navscanmaster
09-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Give him a chance. JJ and Jeff Fuller are good talents that will be around for a while. Mike Goodson still has this year and next, and the backs behind him are more than capable. The big issue he will have to work on is the line on both sides of the ball. If he can do that, the Ags will be competing again. If not, he will be another bust.

Plus, he gets a pretty good Rattler receiver next year.:D

nunya
09-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Another point: Look at a roster from 1988 and roster from 2008 and compare the number of athletes from 5A schools then and now. Pales in comparison.

Old Tiger
09-21-2008, 04:16 PM
quit living in the past nunya. you sound like a bitter ND fan

BobcatBenny
09-21-2008, 04:16 PM
A&M fans need to be patient. Not because good things come to those who wait. But ... it really makes Texas Tech look like a great football program! :eek:

nunya
09-21-2008, 04:17 PM
quit living in the past nunya. you sound like a bitter ND fan

easy to say with a few titles since 1939, isn't it?

Emerson1
09-21-2008, 04:17 PM
The same reason they tolerated Franchione. Next question.
No, they tolerated him because he beat Texas.

So in other words you have no idea what you are talking about?

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by griff
Another silly poll sprouted from Attention Deficit Disorder. Give the man a chance to install his program, recruit a few classes, and see what he produces on the field. To bring up this idea three games into his first season is stupid.
I completely agree....and I don't even particularly care for the Aggies.

(Sorry Gary & TK)

nunya
09-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
A&M fans need to be patient. Not because good things come to those who wait. But ... it really makes Texas Tech look like a great football program! :eek:

... and comments like that have inspired Aggies zero times against Tech, and look where it's gotten them.

nunya
09-21-2008, 04:21 PM
13 have voted in the poll, so it's not that stupid. Thank God they don't have to play Blinn!

navscanmaster
09-21-2008, 04:28 PM
12 have voted in the poll, so it's not that stupid. Thank God they don't have to play Blinn!

You can't expect a poll to be serious if you don't include positive options for people to choose.

nunya
09-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
You can't expect a poll to be serious if you don't include positive options for people to choose.

See Option 4. Work with me here. :D

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Shouldn't he actually get some of his own recruits in FIRST before people start wanting to get rid of him? :confused: :confused:

popcorn screen
09-21-2008, 04:31 PM
The ags will be back. They can and will recruit good talent. However, UT will still recruit better talent. Not too far away is Tech and Baylor. I would suspect the Bears will be better in a hurry as they have the best pure athlete (IMO) in college football and he is a good QB! TCU will always play better with lesser talent, because they have excellent coaching. even Smu will get better. Wow, I am a bit off topic. Love football!!

BobcatBenny
09-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Shouldn't he actually get some of his own recruits in FIRST before people start wanting to get rid of him? :confused: :confused:
http://www.stevecampbell.ca/images/muttly_computing.gif
RRrrattzlfratten LHPM! Where's the fun in waiting! Heee Heee Heee Heee!

nunya
09-21-2008, 04:35 PM

Fair enough. I just hope it isn't already too late. The pace that Texas and Tech have picked up the past five years is rekindling recruiting memories of A&M's Tom Wilson era. We're talking a college of more than 45,000 students here.

At least Texas coaches have Lake Travis to blame if they get distracted, but there's little else to do in College Station besides practicing football or getting wasted at the Dixie Chicken. :-)

Old Tiger
09-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Shouldn't he actually get some of his own recruits in FIRST before people start wanting to get rid of him? :confused: :confused: http://tamu.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?school=82

not that impressive of a class thus far

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2008, 04:42 PM
http://tamu.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?school=82

Which is why I said "IN". All those *** by their names really means nothing more than a recruiting website's definition of "potential" until the kids are on the field in college. (IMO)

Old Tiger
09-21-2008, 04:44 PM
They are a pretty good indicator though. Of course their are bust on the 5 stars and 2 and 3 stars who exceed past their potential.

LH Panther Mom
09-21-2008, 04:47 PM
They are a pretty good indicator though. Of course their are bust on the 5 stars and 2 and 3 stars who exceed past their potential.
Of course! Which is exactly why I said what I did. :p

Old Tiger
09-21-2008, 04:48 PM
I know and I was phrasing it like I said :D

JR2004
09-21-2008, 04:59 PM
http://tamu.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?school=82

I'm somewhat inclined to agree. Not really a single player amongst that entire group of commits that would worry me if I were a OU, UT, Tech or Okie State fan. I guess Sherman will just have to "coach'em up" and see if he can get more out of less.

WylieBulldog92
09-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Which is why I said "IN". All those *** by their names really means nothing more than a recruiting website's definition of "potential" until the kids are on the field in college. (IMO)
See Case Keenum...

Old Tiger
09-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Ya but Keenum doesn't play at a top tier college team

WylieBulldog92
09-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Ya but Keenum doesn't play at a top tier college team
That wasn't the point of the post.

Gontex
09-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Usually, by the third game, Aggies have an idea of a coach's fate.

Hey, I haven't seen any fire Mike Sherman posts on Texags yet. They'll give him at least two more games before they start calling for his head. Irony of ironies, they honored R. C. before the game yesterday. Wasn't too long ago, they couldn't wait to ride him out of town on a rail. I guess they can bring Fran back and give him a plaque next year.