PDA

View Full Version : Spring Hilll-Gilmer scrimmage

Gilmer Buckeye
08-21-2003, 09:12 PM
Thursday night's scrimmage at Buckeye Stadium in Gilmer was late getting started and only lasted about an hour until being called by lightning.

No one had scored when it was called off. Both defenses were dominant. Buckeyes caused a few more turnovers than the Panthers did. Our defense played well. They are very fast and ran to the ball with abandon.

I have to say Spring Hill also did well and shut down our starting unit on offense pretty well. Once again, Gilmer concentrated on the passing game.

This is the second straight year the SH-Gilmer scrimmage has been shortened by lightning. It's too bad. I'm sure both teams wish they had gotten more preparation in, but it's better to be safe than sorry when there are lightning bolts in the immediate vicinity.

At any rate, this scoreless duel might be a good thing as, if anything, the Bucks were perhaps experiencing a little overconfidence after the 7-1 demolition of Tyler Chapel Hill there last Saturday evening.

Gilmer now has eight days to get ready for the Week Zero opener against the Gladewater Bears there on Aug. 29.

Gilmer Buckeye
08-22-2003, 02:44 PM
Joe Hale of the Longview News-Journal's account of the scrimmage is linked below. The only thing he left out was that country singer Neal McCoy came to the scrimmage, causing quite a stir among the Gilmer crowd not used to his celebrity presence. Neal's kids go to Spring Hill and he has been known to sing the National Anthem before Panthers games.

http://www.news-journal.com/sports/newsfd/auto/feed/sports/2003/08/22/1061528279.00100.6666.2197.html

Rabbit'93
08-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Who's Neal McCoy?

Gilmer Buckeye
08-22-2003, 08:08 PM
He had a number of hits in the country music field in the 90s. I don't think he's had one in about 10 years, though. However, I am not a country music fan myself, so I'm not sure. His official Web site is linked below.

He lives out in the woods north of Longview. The fact that he won't live in Nashville where so many of the country music crowd does may be another reason why his career is flagging. The fact of the matter is, though, that in today's country scene, once you hit 40, it's over in terms of the demographics of the audience and he's right at 40, I think.

http://www.nealmccoy.com/