PDA

View Full Version : La Grange @ Goliad

Pudlugger
09-20-2008, 01:10 PM
The Leps get on the bus for a long trip down to Goliad next Friday. After two big wins over D28 rivals Yoakum and Gonzales the Leps bring it to Tiger stadium. I look for a good game with the Leps airing out the football and winning by 21.

JT44
09-20-2008, 01:32 PM
It wont even be close, you could probably send half of the leps and come out of there with a win......

Old Tiger
09-20-2008, 01:33 PM
LG

gobbler grad
09-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by JT44
It wont even be close, you could probably send half of the leps and come out of there with a win......

it's over in the first half...no contest for the Leps... :thinking:

JT44
09-20-2008, 01:41 PM
La grange may as well just be in d28, scrimmage the gobblers along with games against yoakum, gonz, and goliad.

Who else does lagrange have before district?

Pudlugger
09-20-2008, 01:46 PM
That's it. Needville was cancelled due to Ike. They openned against 4A Lockhart. I was thinking the same thing LOL. They may end up with enough d28 wins to take third place in that district LOL.

JT44
09-20-2008, 01:51 PM
D28 is really weak this year with the exception of Cuero, that's why I was glad to see a decent predistrict schedule for the gobblers.

Hopefully the Leps will be ready for a competitive district schedule.

Pudlugger
09-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by JT44
D28 is really weak this year with the exception of Cuero, that's why I was glad to see a decent predistrict schedule for the gobblers.

Hopefully the Leps will be ready for a competitive district schedule.

I think they will be ready. They have already scrimmaged LH and Cuero and played 4a Lockhart close losing only due to poor ball handling (6 turnovers). Lockhart is 4-0 and will likely make the playoffs if not win their district outright in 17 4a. The Leps are young with mostly sophs and juniors starting and have matured fast this season. I think they will be competitive in one of the top districts in 3a.

gobbler grad
09-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
They may end up with enough d28 wins to take third place in that district LOL.

I was thinking 2nd place...:thinking:

CueroDad08
09-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Dont look for much love Leps with this pre distric game.
Was even thinking about casting my vote, but was a waist of time.

29-3aFAN
09-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Leps by 51

SintonFan_inAustin
09-20-2008, 03:21 PM
offense and defense get to score in this game for La Grange.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-20-2008, 03:24 PM
Smithville 34 Luling 6

Goliad 30 Luling 7

they played as good as Smithville against Luling. Smithville is unbeaten, k just trying to justify Goliad can make it a game.

Gontex
09-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by 29-3aFAN
Leps by 51

At least.

PutMeInCoach
09-20-2008, 04:55 PM
LG wins this one. The O has worked out the jitters. Both QB's are getting the job done. #8 returned last night and didn't miss a beat from sitting out with his injury. #22 is a jack rabbit when he gets some room to run. So many good receivers to choose from that will get the job done, much praise to #4 and #9. And the D has stepped it up. #88 was definately putting the pressure on the QB lall night ast night getting himself a sack. #14 has great speed running some kids down. #18 got an opprotunity and put a hurt on an apache. Seems like LG is really clicking on both sides of the ball. Props to the coaching staff.

Pudlugger
09-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Smithville 34 Luling 6

Goliad 30 Luling 7

they played as good as Smithville against Luling. Smithville is unbeaten, k just trying to justify Goliad can make it a game.

Excellent point here. This game is a classic upset trap. The Leps are a young team and could easily lose concentration being giddy over a blow out win over Gonzales. That plus a very long bus ride down to Goliad might lull them into another mistake filled game like Lockhart. In high school football so many things can interfere with getting the job done. I hope the coaches remind these boys of this and have them ready to play. If Goliad can hang with Smithville in comparative scores against a common opponent you have to take them seriously.
Go Leps!

TRENCHES06
09-21-2008, 01:39 PM
La Grange had 540 yards of offense.

393 by the air
(265 by #6, 128 by #7)

Also broke a 78 yard run by a backup running back. (though does start on defense)

If this team keeps focused, the sky is the limit.

Glad to see the defense step up big time.

nunya
09-21-2008, 02:37 PM
edited for hijacking.....lhpm

Pudlugger
09-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by TRENCHES06
La Grange had 540 yards of offense.

393 by the air
(265 by #6, 128 by #7)

Also broke a 78 yard run by a backup running back. (though does start on defense)

If this team keeps focused, the sky is the limit.

Glad to see the defense step up big time.

Not too shabby. The td called back would have put them over 600 yards.

Pudlugger
09-22-2008, 09:35 AM
As another Lep poster LG2Sons pointed out in a different thread the Lep defense held the Apache running game to -15 yards!

I was particularly impressed with the four down lineman who dominated the line of scrimmage and harassed the Apache backfield all night. Number 88 Miori 6'3" 230 lbs was in the backfield as much as the big Apache qb #15 and made life miserable for him. A new addition of freshman number 62 Childs 6'3" 250 was a bold move by the coaches and provided another heavy brick to this 4 man wall. In my opinion the Lep defense has vastly improved as the season wears on, not only the front 4 but the secondary and linebackers as well.
They move quickly to the ball and seal the corners well with speed and take no prisoners in tackling. Go Leps!

hookandladder
09-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
As another Lep poster LG2Sons pointed out in a different thread the Lep defense held the Apache running game to -15 yards!

I was particularly impressed with the four down lineman who dominated the line of scrimmage and harassed the Apache backfield all night. Number 88 Miori 6'3" 230 lbs was in the backfield as much as the big Apache qb #15 and made life miserable for him. A new addition of freshman number 62 Childs 6'3" 250 was a bold move by the coaches and provided another heavy brick to this 4 man wall. In my opinion the Lep defense has vastly improved as the season wears on, not only the front 4 but the secondary and linebackers as well.
They move quickly to the ball and seal the corners well with speed and take no prisoners in tackling. Go Leps!

Pud, I am also very happy to see the defense step it up a notch, we will need to improve each week to take one of those playoff spots. Now on the height and weight of our freshmen ( Childs) those #'s are closer to what his Dad is, Chad is maybe 6' and maybe 200. I do not know why the coaches blow these #'s up, that are outrageous.

LHS 2SONS
09-22-2008, 10:10 AM
For being his first Friday night game, Childs played a very good game, he had his Freshman moments, but all in all he played very well.

As much as LG is throwing, the O-Line has not given up a sack in 2 straight games.

Pudlugger
09-22-2008, 10:10 AM
He's well over 6' for sure and still growing LOL.:D

fourbeee
09-22-2008, 01:58 PM
The leps will have to beat themselves to lose. They should win going away. I saw them against Yoakum and they are even better now. La Grange can score fast and often.

PutMeInCoach
09-22-2008, 09:06 PM
The Leps are getting stronger with every game. A true team unit this year. District will be tough, but I think these boys are up for the challenge. Can't wait til Friday! These boys are fun to watch.

TRENCHES06
09-22-2008, 11:14 PM
One thing for sure about this group is that they really do care about the TEAM aspect of football.

buff4ever
09-22-2008, 11:40 PM
This game is a prime example of the LG coach building the confidence of his team.

I take LG by 28

footballguru
09-24-2008, 10:31 AM
I predicted the blowout of Gonzales, although I thought 21 points it was by 45 points. I think Goliad by their record, is a team that can make big plays, but is very inconsistent. La Grange is on a roll that has seen them score over 50 points a game and average close to 500 yards a game. Will this torid pace keep up, I think district will get a lot tougher and the guady numbers will come down but I feel that they can compete with anyone in district. I am amazed over the fact that they have 1 starter back from last year and they look so impressive on offense. I wonder how many teams returned 1 starter and have been putting up numbers like La Grange? Does anyone know how LG offense compares to others in their district? What about individual stats?

TRENCHES06
09-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Statistically, they are the #1 offense, have the #1 Passing QB in Schneider and have the top 3 WR's in Bunch, Wilkerson, and McHazlett.

Pudlugger
09-24-2008, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by footballguru
I predicted the blowout of Gonzales, although I thought 21 points it was by 45 points. I think Goliad by their record, is a team that can make big plays, but is very inconsistent. La Grange is on a roll that has seen them score over 50 points a game and average close to 500 yards a game. Will this torid pace keep up, I think district will get a lot tougher and the guady numbers will come down but I feel that they can compete with anyone in district. I am amazed over the fact that they have 1 starter back from last year and they look so impressive on offense. I wonder how many teams returned 1 starter and have been putting up numbers like La Grange? Does anyone know how LG offense compares to others in their district? What about individual stats?

It is pretty surprising to watch this young team rack up the offensive yardage with only one returning starter. This speaks well for the coaching staff as they obviously have conscientiously developed the talent all the way up the ranks. The Leps are back and will be in the running for the next few years.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
This game is a prime example of the LG coach building the confidence of his team.

I take LG by 28

Sounds like someone else?

44INAROW
09-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Goliad Finds Ways to get the ball to Franklin ( http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/topsports/story/324302.html)

BY MIKE FORMAN - MFORMAN@VICAD.COM
September 23, 2008 - 10:42 p.m.
GOLIAD – Greg Althof witnessed the best of Aaron Franklin during one of his worst moments.

A false start in the 110-meter hurdles at last year’s district track and field meet ruined Franklin’s chances of returning to the state meet in the event.

But the way Franklin handled his misfortune was worth more than a medal to Goliad’s athletic director and head football coach.

“He showed some maturity there because when he was a sophomore, he would have probably blown up,” Althof said. “He walked off the track and walked out to the bus and started crying out there because he was upset with himself for false starting. But he showed some maturity by not embarrassing himself out there and that’s not real easy for any kid to do.”

Franklin also showed resilience by bouncing back to win the 300-meter hurdles and going on to claim a bronze medal at the state meet.

Althof has seen some of the same maturity from Franklin on the football field this season.

After catching 61 passes for 1,056 yards and 12 touchdowns and earning all-state honors last season, opponents have geared their defense to containing Franklin and he had caught only 10 passes for 51 yards without a touchdown in Goliad’s first two games this season.

Althof countered by moving Franklin into the backfield last week and he responded by rushing 14 times for 74 yards and catching three passes for 41 yards as the Tigers picked up their first win of the season with a 30-7 victory over Luling.

“He’s a young man that wants the ball and I like a kid who wants the football,” Althof said. “He caught two or three balls last week and he was OK with that. We saw him out there cut blocking people wide. He’s a young man that took some real satisfaction in that last Friday.”

Althof will continue to find ways to get the ball in Franklin’s hands, while taking advantage of the opportunities created by how much attention opponents pay to Franklin.

“We’re having to do some things with him a little bit different to get the ball in his hands because he does have that pure breakaway threat,” Althof said. “He has great acceleration and can separate from people in a hurry. We’ve had to move him through motion to putting him in the backfield. What it’s done is our other receivers have really capitalized on that. They’re having some really good games as well. If you double cover him, somebody else is going to be open. It’s just a matter of the quarterback finding the right man and getting the ball to him.”

Franklin worked hard over the summer and came into his senior season bigger, stronger and better prepared to face the weekly grind.

“I’ve improved in every way,” the 6-foot-3, 185-pound Franklin said. “I’m more aggressive and I feel more comfortable. I’m really running routes hard, going out there and blocking and that helps you on defense because you know what they’re going to do. I just go out there and play how I play and try and make something happen.”

Althof believes Franklin has the skills to perform on the college level in just about any sport he chooses.

“He’s got the foot speed to be a really good track kid as well as being a really good football player,” Althof said. “You look at him on the basketball court, he averages 24 to 27 points a game. He’s just a well-rounded athlete with a tremendous amount of God-given talent.”

Franklin wants to utilize his talent to help the Tigers in as many ways as possible.

“I want to make it to the playoffs in football,” Franklin said, “go to basketball and see what we can do there, and go back to state in track.”

***my thoughts*****
I personally witnessed Aaron "false start" at the district track meet - he was by and far the favorite at district and I assume he would have been favored at Regionals. I was half-way expecting him to blow up and throw a fit (I'll be nice and just say his reputation preceded him - I've witnessed him play basketball - no other comments about that but you can read between the lines) but he quietly walked over to the grassy area, picked up his gear bag and walked 100 yards to the other end of the field and out the gate to the bus. You could hear a pin drop at the stadium when he was walking towards the gate.
While I'd like to give the nod to our fellow district team (Goliad) I think the Leps strong offense scheme will be too much for the Tigers. I think it's going to be close for 1 quarter then LG opens it up in the 2nd half..... I say LG by 21...

Pudlugger
09-24-2008, 10:55 PM
He sounds like a good kid and a real athlete. The Lep defense better be ready.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Dont look for much love Leps with this pre distric game.
Was even thinking about casting my vote, but was a waist of time.

Goliad is picked last in a weak district, besideds Cuero, La Grange could play the 9th graders a get a win.

Pudlugger
09-25-2008, 09:30 AM
We all know how those picks turn out. Apparently Goliad is improving. They beat Luling like a rented mule last week. Granted Luling is down but a win gives them some confidence going in and they have a very good athlete on the team. A DI recruit according to the article posted by 44Inarow.