PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on B-Wood Vs LH

Txbroadcaster
09-20-2008, 01:06 PM
First off it was fun meeting RM, LHPM and Go Blue, had alot of fun "hanging" with the crew

My thoughts on the game( I will use # instead of names, just easier)

B-Wood's roster surprised me, looked like a small 3a team in terms of depth and other than the QB and two tall WR, not alot of size on the field.

LH good roster size, good depth solid size player wise

Game thoughts
============================================

LH Slot T of course is as advertised. Fun to watch, and fun to try to see if you could guess who had the ball. The LH QB also actually has a nice arm. The stable of RBs are all solid, not spectacular, but always seem to fall forward..The OL like the RB solid not spectacular very workman like. The offense is so well oiled it is a joy watching them work in unison and you can tell everyone knows their assignment and knows what they need to do

The B-Wood D IMO actually played the Slot T ok. They were not getting fooled alot( the big plays LH got on them were crappy guard read plays ran to perfection). But alot of time B-Wood had guys there, just not able to bring down the RB in space in one on one match-ups. But the D was very active and kept on hitting all game. On a couple of big LH plays I was impressed by Wood's players not giving up and busting butt to pursue. I really think this was a game they missed a talent like Vaccaro on D, but #7, 9 and I think #64 stood out playing their hearts out

B-Wood Offense...No other way to say it but Pachall is one of the best 3A QBs in terms of passing I have ever seen. He did a great job of stepping up in the pocket, looking off the secondary and he has a nice deep ball, but more importantly has a great 10-20 yard range throw.

He moves around well, but I would not call him elusive. I like the two WR #4 and #5..they have size and run good routes #4 reminds me alot of Houston Tumenillo in that if u throw it near him, he will bring it down..BUT I REALLY like #10..that little kid was fearless made catches in traffic and was a waterbug once he had the ball zipping all over the field, and leaving LH players on the ground shaking their heads, he was a fun one to watch.

The TO's of course were killer. basically Pachall was on his game for all but three plays..Two ints and a fumble that led to 21 points for LH. You just cannot TO agianst LH simple as that. But the kid is truly a D-1 talent and is WR #4..both will play on saturdays...They reminded me alot of McGee and Shipley when they were at Burnet...I would like to see a running game out of someones besides the QB, but I thought the OL starting two soph because of injuries did ok after the first drive jitters

continue next post

Old Tiger
09-20-2008, 01:11 PM
That little reciever was a BA. The bwood kicker was BA

Txbroadcaster
09-20-2008, 01:13 PM
The LH D..front seven, seemed pretty solid...I like the LBs, very fast very active

The secondary..they never gave up, but were outmatched and exploited all night and to be honest was shocked the two CB were never really given any help..but #1 and #20 never gave up and kept on taking on the two B-Wood WRs, but size wise they just simply could not do much agianst them and they took the brunt of the passing attack. They were on an island all night long and most of the time were sinking

I know this...B-Wood is GOOD...chance to be REAL good, I was shocked at how good they were honestly. Their passing game is one of the best I have seen at 3A and will give alot of teams trouble. Their D is active, but since I only have seen them agianst the Slot T I cant really say what they will do agianst "normal" offenses

LH, as good as advertised, as fun to watch and on offense they are truly the BEASTs of the ground game. Teams IMO wont stop LH, they can only hope to slow them down.

BUT LH D agianst a passing team could be in trouble if they cant get pressure with the front seven. The DBs are active, but smallish and can be beat. I really think for LH to win another state crown they will need to outscore more teams like they did last night. I might be wrong, but this D is not a shutdown type of D..at least YET

both of these teams should play well into play-offs and it was a joy to exp the atmosphere of the crowds, and the kids selling out and giving it all trying to win...It felt like a play-off game

catdaddy
09-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Great to meet everyone at the pole last night. Great game for football fans and 3a football but brutal for parents:twitch: too close for comfort(again)
You guys finally put a whole game together. Best wishes for you guys the rest of the year, unless we meet again:devil:

Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

The LH D..front seven, seemed pretty solid...I like the LBs, very fast very active

BUT LH D agianst a passing team could be in trouble if they cant get pressure with the front seven. The DBs are active, but smallish and can be beat. I really think for LH to win another state crown they will need to outscore more teams like they did last night. I might be wrong, but this D is not a shutdown type of D..at least YET

We did get pressure in the first half but after that it seems they went to a 3-step drop. Not many D's anywhere can get pressure that fast.
Kudos to Bwood's passing game. Great passer and some outstanding catches.

Panther One
09-20-2008, 02:07 PM
That's the best passing attack we've faced since Burnet during the McGee-Shipley era. We won't face anything like that the rest of the season unless we see Brownwood again in the playoffs, so I'm not too concerned about our pass D unless that happens. Last night's game reminded me a lot of last year's Cuero game, where both offenses just kept scoring. Like last year, I don't think a week four game will be indicative of how we'll be playing come playoff time. If you remember, a lot of people kept looking to that Cuero game last year expecting our playoff opponents to exploit our secondary like the Gobblers did, but it never happened to that extent because we began to get pressure on the QB.

Last night, we didn't utilize the attacking style defense that we used against spread teams last year in the playoffs. I expect to get more aggressive as the season goes on to once again, take some pressure off the secondary. The most encouraging thing about the secondary is that for most of the night, they were in position to make a play and just couldn't get a hand on the ball. I'd like to think they'll get better at making a play on the ball. But again, we won't face a tandem of 6'4 receivers with a D-I QB throwing to them very often. And if we do match up with Brownwood again, I would expect our LB's to be much more involved in the pass rush. Last night showed that if you give Pashal a pocket, he'll put it on the money.

I really don't know how Brownwood lost two games, except that spread passing attacks do have their off nights, but when they're on, they're freakin' ON. While I like to see our offense clicking like it was last night, it sure would have been nice for Brownwood to slow us down a little more so that we could have had some time consuming drives, but it was exciting. If we match up again in the playoffs, I would suggest that everyone not watching their team play come and watch these two face off. You won't be disappointed.

LHexPlayer
09-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Panther One

Last night, we didn't utilize the attacking style defense that we used against spread teams last year in the playoffs. I expect to get more aggressive as the season goes on to once again, take some pressure off the secondary. The most encouraging thing about the secondary is that for most of the night, they were in position to make a play and just couldn't get a hand on the ball. I'd like to think they'll get better at making a play on the ball. But again, we won't face a tandem of 6'4 receivers with a D-I QB throwing to them very often. And if we do match up with Brownwood again, I would expect our LB's to be much more involved in the pass rush. Last night showed that if you give Pashal a pocket, he'll put it on the money.

I agree with you. We only used our attacking style defense on the first drive. It worked to perfection. Then for some reason we went conservative on D again. We did this same thing at the Wylie game. After the first defensive series we rushed 4 the rest of the night. I'm sure Coach Vance has a reason for this. Although I would have liked to see us gamble more and try to get to Pachall. It wouldn't have been any worse than him standing back there and picking us apart like he did. Oh well. I think now as we go thru district we will start to open the defense more and more each week.

Looking4number8
09-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
That little reciever was a BA. The bwood kicker was BA

The kicker was also an 4A all state punter last year. Wild how neither team punted. Miller averages over 50 yards a punt and kicks very very high so it is hard to field. He is a true weapon in the kicking game! Wait until baseball season and watch him throw his fast ball!

Like I read on another thread... lots of credit has been given to Bwd and not really that much to LH. LH was awesome and made the plays that it took to win. Thats how you win back to back state titles. Congrats to LH. Great game and and great fans.

This is what 3A football is all about.

Lion_Addict
09-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by lookingfornumbe
Congrats to LH. Great game and great fans.

This is what 3A football is all about.

:iagree: :2thumbsup :clap:

BEAST
09-20-2008, 07:26 PM
I dont know what attacking style of defense you are talking about, but yall blitzed between 1 and 3 LBs pretty much every play. That is exactly what we hoped you would do. We knew your secondary could not hold up. Great game though.

BEAST

LHexPlayer
09-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I dont know what attacking style of defense you are talking about, but yall blitzed between 1 and 3 LBs pretty much every play. That is exactly what we hoped you would do. We knew your secondary could not hold up. Great game though.

BEAST

After the first series we mostly rushed the front 4. All the other backers dropped into coverage. There were a few times we brought some linebackers and they were either picked up or Pachall ran the other way (away from the blitz) for a big gain. If you would have seen our defense last year especially in the playoffs you would know what kind of attacking D we are talking about. We had QB's running for their lives every play. Hopefully we start to really grow into that team again.

BEAST
09-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by LHexPlayer
After the first series we mostly rushed the front 4. All the other backers dropped into coverage. There were a few times we brought some linebackers and they were either picked up or Pachall ran the other way (away from the blitz) for a big gain. If you would have seen our defense last year especially in the playoffs you would know what kind of attacking D we are talking about. We had QB's running for their lives every play. Hopefully we start to really grow into that team again.

I understand. I hope we meet again and hope we both are at the peak of our performance. Problem is if you start bringing to much heat, we will drop it to Travis Hollaman (#10) and he will eat up any safety or linebacker. When we are clicking it is a pick your poison kind of thing. I could watch a Brownwood vs LH all day everyday. Great game.

BEAST