PDA

View Full Version : Van Vleck-Palacios

Antec
09-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Van Vleck beating Matagorda County rival Palacios was a mild upset.

VAN VLECK — A week ago, the area was preparing for a Category 2 hurricane. But Friday night it was the Van Vleck Leopards who stormed through with a win at Burl McKinney Stadium.

Van Vleck (1-2) got past Palacios, 31-21, in a nondistrict matchup to give the Leopards their first win of the season.

The win also continued solid dominance against the Sharks, improving Van Vleck’s record to 17-2 in a series that started in 1979.

“This was funny because talking to the coaches yesterday, they mentioned that this had been the best week of practice that we’d had so far, even in two-a-days,” Van Vleck head coach Michael O’Guin said. “I really don’t know what to make out of it, I don’t know if it was because of the hurricane or the guys were eager to be back around us.”

Van Vleck started off the scoring on the second play of the game as quarterback Kade Kucera hooked up with Terrence Alliniece for an 82-yard touchdown. After Will McGonagle’s extra point, and with only 29 seconds gone in the first half, the Leopards led 7-0.

Palacios came right back and tied the game, but an offsides penalty against Van Vleck helped keep the drive alive on a fourth down.

Alliniece again helped the Leopards, this time on an 89-yard return on the kickoff to put Van Vleck at the 6-yard line. But they could only muster a 29-yard field goal by McGonagle to take a 10-7 advantage.

A fumbled punt by Van Vleck helped Palacios again as quarterback Adrian Galvan rambled in from 30 yards out to take the lead 14-10.

But Kucera and the Leopards did not hang their heads, as he came back with a shotgun formation. This time, Kucera hit C.J. Griggs in stride down the sideline for a 69-yard touchdown.

Kucera, who had thrown for 419 yards in both losses, almost doubled his total by throwing for 339 yards on the night.

“Our guys prepared real well this week and I am excited for them,” O’Guin said. “I can’t take the credit because I didn’t play a down. The credit goes to the kids.”

After taking a 24-14 lead into the locker room at intermission, the Sharks came out hungry.

After a long return from Bryant Lewis on the second-half opening kickoff to the Leopard 24, Palacios was back in business. Six plays later Lewis scored from the 6-yard line to close within three points, 24-21.

Andre Brown’s second interception of the game with less than five minutes remaining and a 10-point lead was enough for Van Vleck to hold on.

“These kids have taken some abuse from people in the school saying, ‘different year same stuff,’” O’Guin said. “But I keep telling them if they will just believe, we get that first victory, it will give them motivation to continue to practice.”

Van Vleck will host Edna at 7:30 p.m. Friday.

Joel Luna is the sports editor for The Facts. Contact him at (979) 237-0160

INDIVIDUAL STATS

Rushing: VV — Torian Miller 8-39; P — Adrian Galvan 14-109

Passing: VV — Kade Kucera 11-18-0, 339 yards 2 touchdowns; P — Galvan 2-7-2, 26 yards

Receiving: VV — Terrence Alliniece 2-110, 1 touchdown, C.J. Griggs 5-160, 1 touchdown; P — Eric Rojas 1-15

maestro
09-21-2008, 12:48 PM
GREAT JOB VAN VLECK...

i HAD to respond.....reading about PEOPLE in the HALLS AT SCHOOL saying negative stuff....

wow......PUT ON A HELMET AND HELP OUT THEN.....or GET OUT OF THE WAY.....