PDA

View Full Version : Who was the man following the official in Celina?

kepdawg
09-20-2008, 02:30 AM
Who was the clip board holding man in the navy polo and khakis that was following the official around on Celina's sideline? What was he doing?

bobcat1
09-20-2008, 06:47 AM
Grading refs I bet.

gatordaze
09-20-2008, 07:10 AM
He was recording each penalty. I think Bobacat1 is right on grading the official.

He needs to wear a different color shirt than that of the opponents colors if he is going to do that as he stuck out like a sore thumb. I thought he was a coach at first.

3afan
09-20-2008, 07:49 AM
WHO would be 'grading' officials? doesn't each team send in a report following each game?

CelinaCatFan
09-20-2008, 03:53 PM
I thought he was keeping stats for FW AH!

Emerson1
09-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan
I thought he was keeping stats for FW AH!
I think that guy would be in the booth with a computer.

Only I am good enough to keep en entire games stats for both teams completely by hand and only be 1 yard off. Amirite TXB and G2????

CelinaCatFan
09-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Opposing coaches are not in the booth on the home sideline. They have a box on their side. Whoever it was...he was wearing the wrong color last night and looked out of place in a sea of orange.

Trashman
09-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Was the official being graded for a possible NFL job. If so those guys are watched for years before they actually work an NFL game.

3afan
09-20-2008, 06:55 PM
doubt it - the NFL wouldn't have a man in Celina, TX on the sideline looking at a HS official

bobcat1
09-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
He was recording each penalty. I think Bobacat1 is right on grading the official.

He needs to wear a different color shirt than that of the opponents colors if he is going to do that as he stuck out like a sore thumb. I thought he was a coach at first.

I think that dark blue color is the Ref's association colors. I am almost sure that he was their grading that team of officials. Gatordaze you can find out for us.

marler1972
09-20-2008, 09:17 PM
He was grading the refs heard this from one of the coachs.

BobcatBenny
09-20-2008, 09:51 PM
What were the penalty statistics for this game?

3afan
09-20-2008, 10:15 PM
what TASO chapter does Celina use?

Twirling Time
09-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
what TASO chapter does Celina use?

Not sure, but I do know the officials were from Fort Worth chapter.

GreenMonster
09-21-2008, 10:19 AM
All crews write down and track penalties,turn-overs, etc. to turn in for a post-game report. Some crews bring along someone who keeps track of these on the sideline on a clipboard instead of the umpire trying to track it on his pocket size notebook. We have had 2 of such crews in our 4 games thus far in the season. One crew used the white hat's college age daughter and another crew used one of the 1st year guys that didn't have a game scheduled. We have also had a game where the local chapter sent out their trainer to evaluate the performance of the officials. He did not carry anything that I can remember, but he did bring in a blank tape and ask for a copy of the game tape. I'm sure every chapter does their evaluations their own way. As much as we (coaches) yell at officials and disagree with their interpretations and what they saw, we really do appreciate these guys because without them there would be no Friday night contests. They have a thankless job and we try to make sure that we thank them regardless of how we feel they performed.

CelinaCatFan
09-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Perhaps it could be something that is done at the 4A and 5A level (having someone on the sidelines to grade the officiating crew). If so, this would make sense. Since it was our first game against a 4A opponent, I'm not used to seeing someone else on the sideline.

VAMike
09-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Some Chapters (but not all) have evaluatiuon systems in place and some or all of their officials get "graded". But even those that have such a system would likely not have the "grader" on the field. As someone who has evaluated officials in the past, that is NOT the place where I do it from. You cannot see what you need to see from there. The stands (or the pressbox) is a much better place to do this from.

Many Chapters do use a 6th guy on the crew to keep track of fouls, strange situations, etc during the game for the crew. This is done some times to get less experienced guys used to the Friday night varsity atmosphere and to make them feel part of the game even though they might not be able to get on a varsity field yet. This can help with retention of young officials who might lose interest if they can not get on a varsity field for 3 - 4 years.