PDA

View Full Version : Cuero 26 Bay City 21

CueroDad08
09-19-2008, 11:26 PM
One of the best games played in Cuero in Two years.Almost as good as that LH - Cuero shootout. Great test for the Gobblers, Bay City had one hell of a "D". Cuero showed the heart of a champion tonight with that never say die att.

DDBooger
09-19-2008, 11:28 PM
people from port lavaca said bay city was weak and cuero should be embarrased about barely winning. gotta love upstarts!:D

CueroDad08
09-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
people from port lavaca said bay city was weak and cuero should be embarrased about barely winning. gotta love upstarts!:D

Would love to see Port Lavaca play agaist Bay City D

Old Green
09-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Cuero passing game was the key to the win over Bay City. You can't just run right at them. They matched the Gobblers pretty well too.

gato 76
09-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Cuero passing game was the key to the win over Bay City. You can't just run right at them. They matched the Gobblers pretty well too.

Hey buddy i wish i could have been there,we going to be alright the Bay City D came to play like i told you.They getting that swagger back give Robert Blackmon some time we going to beat some people this year.

gato 76
09-19-2008, 11:46 PM

Maybe the next realignment the crabs can play in a real district.I mean 23AAAA.

Pudlugger
09-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Nice win Gobblers. Bay City is salty.

Old Green
09-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by gato 76
Hey buddy i wish i could have been there,we going to be alright the Bay City D came to play like i told you.They getting that swagger back give Robert Blackmon some time we going to beat some people this year. BC was the fastest team I've seen this year. They had the speed to keep Cuero Wr's in check. plays that would have been good for 20 yards only got 3 or 4 yards against the BC Defense. Give BC time and by district they'll be Ready.

44INAROW
09-20-2008, 12:19 AM
stats from tonight's game

First Downs

Cuero 23
Bay City 14

Rushing
Cuero - 29-124
Bay CIty 38-159

Passing
Cuero 25 of 40 for 253 yards
Bay City 8 of 21 (2 INT) for 198 yards

Total Yards Offense

Cuero 377
Bay City 357

pirate4state
09-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Congrats Gobblers!

Boomer
09-20-2008, 12:45 AM

Port Lavaca didn't want to play Cuero this year. Coach Reeve tried but PL didn't want any part of Cuero.

Bay City has a great defense. They shot themselves in the foot towards the end.

Great heads up play by Cuero's defense!!

gato 76
09-20-2008, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Boomer
Port Lavaca didn't want to play Cuero this year. Coach Reeve tried but PL didn't want any part of Cuero.

Bay City has a great defense. They shot themselves in the foot towards the end.

Great heads up play by Cuero's defense!!

I will agree with you there.

Dogs_21
09-20-2008, 12:53 AM
I dont know why Port Lavca talking mess because they dont even have Tradation and Bay City does and plus they are in a weak District and weak Region!!!

KingRob
09-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Congratulations on the win Gobblers!

LET'S GO CUERO!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

DDBooger
09-20-2008, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Dogs_21
I dont know why Port Lavca talking mess because they dont even have Tradation and Bay City does and plus they are in a weak District and weak Region!!! well you guys did lose to a 3a region IV team. but then again, they are the best in region IV

Dogs_21
09-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Im not from Bay City I was just saying!

HM33
09-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Great game to watch. I just wish Cuero would run the offense they did the last two drives of the game. It worked really well, but no they like to do the WR screens (that NEVER work) and little behind the line plays. I don't understand why they don't utilize Tyler Ardnt's QB ability.

44INAROW
09-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by HM33
utilize Tyler Ardnt's QB ability.

he is one cool cucumber under pressure - the last drive of the 1st half and last drive of the game were both great drives! How does he NOT get sacked on that one play in the last drive???? Amazing! Jennings had 2 unbelievable catches during the game and then stripping that ball at the end to set up the wining TD - We had some breakdowns on coverage but hopefully that will be addressed and we'll move on.

gobbler grad
09-20-2008, 09:48 AM
great ending last night, you would have thought this was a playoff game...believe everyone was standing for last 5 or 6 minutes...:clap: we still have a few issues on defense, but hopefully we can fix that before the playoffs...Ardnt is amazing, he has so much ability, the coaches need to let him do his thing...:thinking: good luck next week...:clap:

KingRob
09-20-2008, 10:04 AM
I wasn't at the game (:( ), but I would also think they need to work on the PAT. They have to make those! I sure do wish I could've been there. If anyone has any video clips, please post (on here, or other places on the web)!

44INAROW
09-20-2008, 12:16 PM
Not nearly as exciting as the game but here's the article....... When my heart gets back to normal, I am going to listen to the game on the gobblersports.com playback......... :)
Oh and to any of those FAIR WEATHER GOBBLER FANS that left when it was 21-20 Bay City - you missed a great ending to a great game

Gobblers pull off last-minute comeback
BY MIKE FORMAN - MFORMAN@VICAD.COM
September 20, 2008 - 12:54 a.m.

CUERO – Cuero figures that as long as it has the ball and there’s time on the clock, it has the chance to win.

Cuero drove 41 yards in six plays before Troy Ruiz scored on a 2-yard run with 22 seconds left in the fourth quarter to rally for a 26-21 win over Bay City on Friday night at Gobbler Stadium.

“There was no reason for us to panic,” Cuero quarterback Tyler Arndt said. “We had all three of our timeouts and we knew we could do it.”

The Gobblers, ranked No. 4 in Class 3A, improved to 3-0 with their 26th consecutive home win and avenged last season’s loss to the Blackcats (1-2).

“The thing I told our kids is this is a great lesson for life,” Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. “If you don’t quit, you’ve always got a chance to win. And that’s what we didn’t do, we didn’t give up and we didn’t panic. It was a big one, just a lot of guys made a lot of big plays.”

The biggest play may have been made by Cuero defensive back Jennings Boothe, who stripped the ball from Bay City quarterback Tommy Singletary, after the Gobblers had missed an extra point that would have tied the game with 2:02 left.

“Everybody was flowing right and he kind of cut it back and I saw the chance to go for the ball and I just attacked him and pretty much took it away from him,” Boothe said. “I should have scored, but he just kind of tripped me up.”

Arndt completed a 14-yard pass to Jake Moeller for a first down at the 21 before Bay City was flagged for interference and the referees tacked on another three yards for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty setting Cuero up at the 3. Ruiz scored three plays later.

“Jennings and Tyler Arndt, those two guys had great games,” Reeve said. “Bay City puts a lot of pressure on you with what they do with their offense,” Reeve said. “It was just a great football game. It was what it was built up to be.”

Arndt completed 25 of 38 passes for 253 yards and one touchdown, much of it under heavy pressure from the Bay City defense. Arndt not only directed Cuero’s game-winning drive but also led the Gobblers 87 yards in seven plays before throwing a 37-yard touchdown pass to Robert Armstrong with 9 seconds left in the first half.

“He’s definitely a good quarterback,” Bay City coach Robert Blackmon said. “It’s some mental breakdowns on our end of it. At that point of the game our kids should know that they’re going to go for the deep ball. It happens. We’ve just got to go back to the drawing board and work on it.”

After both teams missed field goals, Cuero took a 7-0 lead on a 4-yard run by Jake Rangnow with 1:51 left in the first quarter. The Blackcats tied the game on a 20-yard pass from Travis Tomek to Robert Taylor with 1:20 left in the first half.

Bay City looked like the team that was going to earn a comeback win when it tied the game on a 1-yard run by Le’Tevin Wilcox, who carried 18 times for 133 yards.

The Blackcats recovered a fumble by Trent Jackson at the Bay City 37 on the ensuing possession and on a fourth-and-two Wilcox got free around the right side and raced 55 yards for a touchdown to put Bay City up 21-14 with 5:17 remaining in the fourth quarter.

“A loss is always hard, by one point or five points,” Blackmon said. “I have to take my hat off to our guys. We fought back. We knew Cuero was a good team and their coaches did a good job of getting their guys prepared.”

“Anytime that you can come from behind and win then you always have that in the back of your mind that you can do it,” Reeve said. “We told our kids the reason we schedule these guys is because these are the kind of guys that will make you better.”
Link (www.victoriaadvocate.com)

gobbler grad
09-20-2008, 12:27 PM
yeah, alot of people were leaving and some started back when we got the ball back...should of stayed in their seats... :D the true fans did remain in the stadium, though...:thinking:

JT44
09-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I was very impressed with Tyler's performance on those drives at the end.....he stepped up avoided pressure found the lanes and threw some bullets

Our receivers made some nice catches.....but Jennings play on offense and defense really stood out, heck of a game by Rangnow on defense too.

the running game wasn't working quite as well last night b/c of bay city's defense....so I was glad to see that they just finally opened it up at the end of the game there....something they should have done more often the last 4 or 5 years.

Old Tiger
09-20-2008, 01:40 PM
congrats Cuero....sounded like a great game

gobbler grad
09-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
congrats Cuero....sounded like a great game

mainly the last 6 minutes...:1omg!:

headhunter
09-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Great game, both teams matched up very well agianst each other. Bay City probably has the best defense that Cuero will face in the regular season. I give alot of credit to Bay City for keeping Cuero in check, however I just find it amazing that when Cuero needs to turn it on they do. 1:25 left befor half and Cuero goes no-hudle and marches down the field 80+yards and puts a TD on the board. Then at the end of the game they open up the "VERTICAL" passing game again and strike twice to win. I don't understand why the coaches would not have come out and try to put the dagger in BC in the third quarter. It looked to me like Cuero got very conservative and didn't take any shots downfield until the last two drives. (Actually they only threw the ball twice over ten yards until 6 min left in the game.)

With the weapons that Cuero has I think they should let it fly. Boothe has to be the smartest player on the field, he is always in the right place at the right time. I also like how Cuero got seven receivers involved in the game. That makes it hard for a defense to concentrate on just one player because so many can hurt you. I wish they would use the TE more. Not sure why they don't.

Bay City will be good but why do they choose to put eight men on the line and try and run the ball. (looks like some goofy Baylor offense from back in the day) Bay City makes themselves one dimensional when they put eight men on the line because they can only run out of that formation. With all the athletes they have they shoudl open it up and let their skill players get the ball in the open field and allow them to make big plays. Bay City has to be more discipline as well. They are solid on defense but have to open up their playbook on offense. They are in a tough district and it will be hard to win a lot of games with just 21 points.

Overall the game was close to what I expected, I thought for a second (2nd and 3rd qtr) that Cuero's coaching staff was playing not to lose instead of to win. But then they turned it on and made some plays. Small things for the Gobblers to work out but I believe the only thing that can stop the Gobbler offense in the Gobblers. Great game and good luck.

solocam
09-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Congrats Gobblers

KingRob
09-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
Great game, both teams matched up very well agianst each other. Bay City probably has the best defense that Cuero will face in the regular season. I give alot of credit to Bay City for keeping Cuero in check, however I just find it amazing that when Cuero needs to turn it on they do. 1:25 left befor half and Cuero goes no-hudle and marches down the field 80+yards and puts a TD on the board. Then at the end of the game they open up the "VERTICAL" passing game again and strike twice to win. I don't understand why the coaches would not have come out and try to put the dagger in BC in the third quarter. It looked to me like Cuero got very conservative and didn't take any shots downfield until the last two drives. (Actually they only threw the ball twice over ten yards until 6 min left in the game.)

With the weapons that Cuero has I think they should let it fly. Boothe has to be the smartest player on the field, he is always in the right place at the right time. I also like how Cuero got seven receivers involved in the game. That makes it hard for a defense to concentrate on just one player because so many can hurt you. I wish they would use the TE more. Not sure why they don't.

Bay City will be good but why do they choose to put eight men on the line and try and run the ball. (looks like some goofy Baylor offense from back in the day) Bay City makes themselves one dimensional when they put eight men on the line because they can only run out of that formation. With all the athletes they have they shoudl open it up and let their skill players get the ball in the open field and allow them to make big plays. Bay City has to be more discipline as well. They are solid on defense but have to open up their playbook on offense. They are in a tough district and it will be hard to win a lot of games with just 21 points.

Overall the game was close to what I expected, I thought for a second (2nd and 3rd qtr) that Cuero's coaching staff was playing not to lose instead of to win. But then they turned it on and made some plays. Small things for the Gobblers to work out but I believe the only thing that can stop the Gobbler offense in the Gobblers. Great game and good luck.

WOW! That was good. Thanks for the post!:clap:

headhunter
09-21-2008, 10:33 PM
anytime

mean_green
09-21-2008, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by headhunter

Sounds like you should have gotten a degree in Coaching and not Accounting. Just a thought, quit criticizing and enjoy a hard fought victory! Im pretty sure I know who you are. Good Luck to the Gobblers, they will be hard to beat this year.

headhunter
09-21-2008, 11:39 PM
hmmm. Not sure I know you. Played in the 90's. And I don't think their was much criticism, just personal opinions which I think everyone is entitled too.

mean_green
09-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Everybody wants a state championship brought back to Cuero, not just you my friend. Cuero has been knocking on the door for the last 5 years and the more the Gobblers knock, that door is bound to come down. Everybody is trying to get the job done, just like your team tried to, Good luck to the Gobblers, the door is bound to be knocked down.

Daddy D 11
09-22-2008, 10:23 AM
I said a long time ago i think this is Cuero's year:) Just my honest opinion.

44INAROW
09-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I said a long time ago i think this is Cuero's year:) Just my honest opinion.

I sure hope you're right........

sincerely

Erica Kane

(just a little humor folks) :D

kingoftheranch
09-24-2008, 05:08 PM
port lavaca is way over rated. needville beat them 2 years in a row embarrassing them one year and beating them by 2 tds the next. so i dont want to hear anything about port lavaca