PDA

View Full Version : Bad Teams Winning vs Good Teams Losing

Bullaholic
09-19-2008, 09:40 AM
When a traditionally bad team starts winning, or a traditionally good team starts losing, I think the public reaction is much like the public's reaction to news stories----the good news stories are noticed and even appreciated, but never seem to draw the attention that bad news does. There is a lot more "buzz" when a good team loses than when a bad team wins.

My heart kind of goes out to the teams with deep traditional record winning seasons like Celina, Southlake, or even Brownwood after the class change. I don't feel sorry for them, but I do wonder what it must be like for their coaches and kids to have to manage the expectations for near pefection---season-in, season out. That's got to be a tough load for kids 17 years old and younger to carry around, and unthinkable for them if they are on the team responsible for ending the streak.

ronwx5x
09-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
When a traditionally bad team starts winning, or a traditionally good team starts losing, I think the public reaction is much like the public's reaction to news stories----the good news stories are noticed and even appreciated, but never seem to draw the attention that bad news does. There is a lot more "buzz" when a good team loses than when a bad team wins.

My heart kind of goes out to the teams with deep traditional record winning seasons like Celina, Southlake, or even Brownwood after the class change. I don't feel sorry for them, but I do wonder what it must be like for their coaches and kids to have to manage the expectations for near pefection---season-in, season out. That's got to be a tough load for kids 17 years old and younger to carry around, and unthinkable for them if they are on the team responsible for ending the streak.

I must say I don't feel sorry for either SLC or Celina. They have not been successful teams that suddenly began losing, at least not yet. They both have storied progarams to be proud of and to think they have gone bad is wrong at this point. SLC has lost what, 3 games in three years? Celina has lost two in three years. Losers , huh?

wimbo_pro
09-19-2008, 10:03 AM
I think it is better to come from a school that has a winning tradition but is down for the time being versus a school who has no tradition of winning but is doing well at the moment.

I also think that it is a good thing that a winning tradition is spread out amongst many schools...after all, its all about the kids, right?

Bullaholic
09-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I must say I don't feel sorry for either SLC or Celina. They have not been successful teams that suddenly began losing, at least not yet. They both have storied progarams to be proud of and to think they have gone bad is wrong at this point. SLC has lost what, 3 games in three years? Celina has lost two in three years. Losers , huh?

The point of my post was not to brand these storied programs as "losers", but rather to point out how quickly they inherit that brand when they do lose, and to call attention to the unbelieveablly heavy load borne season after season by these team's coaches and players.

BILLYFRED0000
09-19-2008, 10:29 AM
YOu are right about that. DMN had Pilot point number one in the area in 3a and under with us number2. PP has about as much chance of beating us as we do slc right now. slim and none.

Chillimaru
09-19-2008, 10:33 AM
a true sign of a winner is how well they handle defeat and bounce back

Silverback 04
09-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Agreed, although its been a long time since the Wood could be put in this class. They are still solid most years but Celina and SLC are the only teams that I can think of to be that dominant for an extended period recently.

Also, i think maybe the tradition continues sometimes because the kids expect it to. And like someone else said, its how you rebound after a loss that counts. Maybe the coaching staff has to convince the kids that you ain't always gonna be perfect but you better be damn close. You lose, you better get back on the bull and start over, don't except it.